Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anybody else not got, and not want a mobile phone?

(85 Posts)
boheminan Wed 04-Mar-20 22:05:16

I've not got and don't want a mobile phone! There! I've said it, but it's getting more and more difficult not to be bullied into getting one.

My online bank 'needs' a mobile number 'for security' reasons, as do most other businesses, so I'm constantly being requested for my non existent mobile number - and now I've just found that online Scrabble (which I love playing) in going over to mobile phone and iPlayer (whatever that is).

Yes, I know I'm considered a dinosaur...but I believe there should be freedom to choose not have one...not everyone can afford them (including me) the same as not everyone can afford a computer, both which the lack of is seemingly making life very difficult.

Anyone else on GN not got a mobile and feel they're being forced into having to get one?

MamaCaz Wed 04-Mar-20 22:22:38

I would hate to be without one nowadays.

Without it, I dread to think what I would have done when my car broke down a few weeks ago.
It wasn't just a matter of one call to the breakdown company - for which I suppose, if I didn't have a mobile, I would have had to try to flag down a passing motorist - but I must have made and received over a dozen essential calls during the two and a half to three hours that I was waiting for recovery!

BlueBelle Wed 04-Mar-20 22:26:11

Afraid I can’t manage without one either We’ll I ll rephrase that if they all went tomorrow you’d learn to do without but I wouldn’t want to I never go out without it not only for calls and texts but information and a camera

GagaJo Wed 04-Mar-20 22:31:12

I'm not bothered. I love my iPad and laptop but not so concerned about a phone.

crazyH Wed 04-Mar-20 22:37:55

Couldn't do without one - all my family only contact me via mobile phone. My landline is mostly for friends and for business calls .

Welshwife Wed 04-Mar-20 22:39:40

I have one which I use for phone calls and text messages but it is of the wind up variety but lovely and neat and fits into any pocket.
I am dreading the day I have to replace it. I don’t really use it in the house as we have WiFi and appropriate devices.

Luckygirl Wed 04-Mar-20 22:43:06

I bought one when my OH wanted to have a virtual reality headset and that necessitated a mobile. He had a lot of fun with it and, now that he is gone, I am very glad that I bought it for him.

I love my mobile - my dear girls keep in constant contact with me and we chat on and off all day on WhatsApp - and they send me photos of what they are doing. It is an absolute lifeline for me. I use it very little indeed for actual phone falls.

BlueSky Wed 04-Mar-20 22:43:14

Couldn't manage without one! The landline is now redundant but it's much more than just a phone. Everything can be done on the go!

paddyanne Wed 04-Mar-20 23:18:29

I got rid of mine a couple of years ago ,I dont miss it.I certainly dont miss clients calling at 7am or 11;30 at night or not being able to get peace if I'm out for lunch or shopping.
When I renewed my passport at the passport office I was searched and the security man refused to believe I din't have a phone...apparently every woman he knows couldn't live without one!

Chestnut Wed 04-Mar-20 23:25:41

I have a smart phone but rarely if ever use it for the internet as I use my computer. Use it for phone calls, texts and WhatsApp (for sending messages and photos, video calls and voice calls abroad).I love that's it's also a camera and I can take a photo any time. It's so handy and all for £5 a month! What's not to like?

Tangerine Wed 04-Mar-20 23:30:05

I find mine very useful but do agree that they can be time wasters.

I use mine for WhatsApp, phone calls, texts and email mostly.

B9exchange Wed 04-Mar-20 23:41:46

I fear that at some point in the future everything will be done by apps on mobile phones. They will be used as a security check for online activities more and more, and you won't be able to manage money, shop, or even talk to anyone, as landlines are not being used by the majority of people younger than us.

They do have their uses, do you not have friends or family that might need to contact you in an emergency, or even if you are meeting someone to tell them that you are running late?

You can get second hand ones very cheaply on ebay and just pay for the calls/texts/data that you use. Could it be that fear of the learning curve in using one plays a part in your reluctance? smile There are many people who would be delighted to help you out?

ginny Wed 04-Mar-20 23:42:53

I wouldn’t want to be without mine. Partly as security when out and about on my own. Whatsapp is great for keeping in touch with family and friends. Also it is my sole camera .

grannyactivist Thu 05-Mar-20 01:11:07

Every one of my homeless clients has to have not just a mobile phone, but preferably a 'smart' phone in order to manage a claim for Universal Credit. They have to be able to receive text messages and go online to update and read their 'journal'.

My mother-in-law is in a similar position to you boheminan; a fortnight ago her husband bought her a smartphone as a combined birthday/Christmas gift. She has resisted this for many years, but finally agreed to have one and is now struggling to master it. I know she will eventually get the hang of it, but I do have a lot of sympathy for her as I also put off getting my first mobile phone for as long as possible. Now I have two iPhones and I have to acknowledge they have saved me hours of work and are very convenient.

vegansrock Thu 05-Mar-20 01:51:15

I’m sure you can function without one but it does make life a lot easier in many ways, I love my smartphone. If you are resisting one just because you don’t want to be part of the 21st century, that’s your choice, but don’t claim you are being “bullied” because your life is inconvenienced by your choice not to have a phone. Don’t expect others to pander to your choices.

BradfordLass73 Thu 05-Mar-20 02:47:12

I don't have a mobile for the simple reason I can't see one.
No one bullies me because I won't let them.

I say, if I am told "it's essential nowadays"

"So was my eyesight but somehow I'm managing without it. Learn to adapt, as I have."

Stick it out girl, no one can bully you without your consent (to paraphrase the wonderful Eleanor Roosveldt)

Grandma2213 Thu 05-Mar-20 02:51:51

I have a pay as you go, just for emergency contacts/texts which is rarely used but cheap (about £20 about every 4/5 months). I do online shopping, Banking, Facebook, Google,emails, Gransnet etc on my laptop so I'm not a complete dinosaur (and it's easier to see). It's just when you have to scan those weird square patterns that I get annoyed!

My DC laugh at me because I have all the important contact numbers stuck to the back of my phone (including my own) just in case of battery failure or such like. The only thing I would like a smart phone for is the camera to save me carrying mine around. They seem to produce really good photos.

dizzyblonde Thu 05-Mar-20 08:28:45

You can choose not to have one but you cannot dictate how people want to contact you so you have to accept that you may miss out on things you want to do. If you’re happy with that level of risk and do not expect people to facilitate communication with you then don’t have a mobile.

rubysong Thu 05-Mar-20 08:42:36

DH and I inherited phones when DS1 and Ddil moved to USA. They are like smart phones but smaller and fit easily in a pocket. We could set them up for internet but don't. We just want phone, text, clock, camera, torch etc. Mine thinks I am DS1's mother in law as before I got it he set it up for her when she was on a trip in UK and wanted to receive emails. Some time I shall ask her for the password so I can take her off and put me on but I don't want to get emails etc as I also have a tablet. I baby mind for DS2's children and the parents like me to have phone with me in case of emergencies.

polyester57 Thu 05-Mar-20 09:00:27

I very much believe that we should try and keep up with the new technologies. With people living longer, I may still be around for a number of years. I want to know and understand how the world works. I am sure that when the wheel was first invented, many people resisted, saying they had no use for it, they had always walked everywhere and that was good enough.

GrandmaMoira Thu 05-Mar-20 09:33:04

I first had a mobile years ago and rarely used it, partly because there was no signal where I worked. When I got a smart phone initially I only used it for the camera, but have gradually found lots of other uses. If I'm out and running late I can call or text a friend, if the train/bus is late I can check on alternatives, if I'm lost I can use the maps, I have my Kindle App so can read when out, the family keep in touch by WhatsApp, the email or text is to hand when collecting click and collect items - so many things.

boheminan Thu 05-Mar-20 09:41:18

Thanks for all your responses. So it seems I'm on my own here! shock

I think they are very intrusive, and it's worrying that generally people believe they can't survive without new technologies, which is probably the case as we're having to rely on them more and more.

Thank you BradfordLass73 for your wise words. Bullying is the wrong word...I feel pressurised.

I'm holding out for as long as possible to do without one, what I've never had, I don't miss.....

notanan2 Thu 05-Mar-20 09:42:19

Couldnt. Overtime at work goes online and first to click gets it.

TerriBull Thu 05-Mar-20 09:58:55

Yikes! Bohemian you are living up to your name for sure, good for you! Having said that I simultaneously regard mine as a bloody nuisance and invaluable. When my husband was working, many a time he'd be held up because of traffic, it was a real help to phone the client to let them know he was running late. Uses it far less since retirement though! His grown up grandchildren are slack jawed when we tell them there was a life before mobile phones, they simply don't know how everyone managed grin at least one had the undivided attention of that other person when you were out on a date, you are so right they are intrusive, it's amazing to observe the lack of interaction because of them these days. I regret our granddaughter aged 10 was given one a year ago, she's far more talkative without it. Plenty of upsides, so stick to your guns and do what is right for you smile

lemongrove Thu 05-Mar-20 10:01:54

Love the computer and ipad, but only had a cheap pay as you go for years, however I now have a good mobile phone with a contract and am forever texting and googling on it?although
I draw the line at looking at it when out with friends, which to me is ‘infra dig’ (as an old fogey) haha.