Gransnet forums

Chat

'Coronavirus ' Husband won't hand wash ?

(48 Posts)
DeeDum Thu 05-Mar-20 11:03:33

I'm high risk and my son has Asthma,
I'm trying to carry on as normal, my problem is my husband he won't hand wash!
He often seems to do the opposite of advice ? I've noticed it before, since having diabetes he continues to eat what he likes etc
I've offered him anti bac hand wash while out but he refuses it? Says he doesn't need it? All a fuss about nothing and be gone in a week !
Surly his making our risk getting this virus higher ?
This seems unfair & is getting me down now..
am I over reacting?

Madgran77 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:47:42

Pathetic. He needs to grow up frankly! I would keep a packet of wipes and wipe things before picking up etc. He might be irritated. Ignore him. He can do what he likes. You can do what you like!!!

Gummie Sun 15-Mar-20 15:35:05

Your husband is a twat.

bikergran Sun 15-Mar-20 08:02:28

Im having same problem with my dad whos 84 he has mild Parkinsons and other health issues copd etc.

My mum has cancer, we have just had to have crisis care team in, prior to that she was up n about..anyway snce this virus I have tried to tell my dad he must!! wash his hands more, because I have been spending 24/7 at my mums I have notice how little he washes his hands.even after going to toilet!

We have repeatedly said he must wash when he comes back in the house after going pub or shop.We drop hints about how germs are spread etc but he gets so aggressive!! he has always had an aggressive nature,if we mention "have you washed your hands " in even a joky manner and sang happy birthday he gets angry "!

To think he goes n makes my mum a bite to eat is worrying .

I wipe down what I can, I then say Oh I will just wash my hands...!! but it makes no diff,.
I suppose we will have to just keep fingers crossed, he is of an old school where "a bit of muck never harmed you"!! I know what your up against.!! good luck.

Pammie121 Sat 14-Mar-20 18:32:48

Well..... to add to this..... my partner of 6 years says he will not get drawn into the virus hysteria and when I asked him this morning after we did food shopping in the supermarket if he washed his hands with soap. He said yes. I asked him again, he said yes. The soap in his bathroom was dry = he didn't wash his hands at all. We had a big argument. He left the house I have told him to spend the night somewhere else. I am furious. He is putting us both at risk. It is not too much to ask your partner to follow health/hygiene advice due to the virus. He is being selfish and stubborn. I am not sure I want him to return. Why would I want to be with somebody who has so little regard for my health or even his own.

Iam64 Wed 11-Mar-20 20:37:28

Elegran -thanks for your link, it's proper cheered me up after my depressing supermarket trip

annep1 Wed 11-Mar-20 19:33:50

Thanks Namsnanny. I'll do that.

Callistemon ?

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 19:21:27

I have a container of white vinegar, infused for months with lemon halves, as recommended by DD, never used

Now is the time to use it!

I did wonder if eating the hand gel would keep the virus at bay, Namsnanny but decided that it wouldn't.
Don't try this at home.

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 19:17:22

Re vinegar, yes that's what my adult children say!
But I say any port in a storm smile

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 19:15:22

05.03 20.58 Callistemongrin just caught your post, sounds a little bit like my H. Was he lost in a world of his own thinking how lovely his doughnut was going to taste! With or without a side dish of antiseptic gel!!

Back to the virus, the only thing I understand is that it will reach a peak before it gets better.

Does that mean that our efforts to disinfect will bear fruit, or is it inevitable?

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 19:08:47

It should keep everyone at arm's length too, Namsnanny grin

Thank you, though, I may do all the door handles tomorrow.

Namsnanny Wed 11-Mar-20 19:04:48

soap and water at home is good. It's all about removing the virus.
Buy a plastic spray, and fill it with white vinegar, (diluted if you hate the smell), and put it in your bag.
Should kill off viruses germs and bacteria.

Work surfaces and door handles can be washed with it also.

annep1 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:48:10

Can anyone recommend which hand wash or gel to use. I think alcohol based ones are recommended, but there are so many available online that it's confusing. Or is soap and water just as good?

grannysyb Fri 06-Mar-20 11:32:02

My DH is also a diabetic, he said the other day he is more at risk because the medication he takes compromises the immune system. He is meticulous about hand washing.

MiniMoon Fri 06-Mar-20 10:52:59

I'm trying to impress upon my DH the rule I always stick by. Wherever I've been, and whatever I've been doing, the first thing I do after returning to the house and taking off my coat, is to wash my hands.
I've always done it. Its second nature. I wonder if it stems from my nurse training?
DH works in the Co-op, and whenever he takes over on the till he wipes it down with disinfectant wipes. Some of his co-workers think he's strange, but as he says, you don't know what people have had on their hands, or where their money has been.

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 09:50:20

Ps I should say that DH always washed his hands after the loo gardening etc! but not routinely if he'd just been to the local shop for a couple of items.

rosecarmel Fri 06-Mar-20 07:44:25

DeeDum, you are not alone, not by a longshot- How people respond to this virus as it spreads is going to reveal many things about many people, things that we never would have imagined-

I've already read quite a few stories similar to yours, and believe there will be many, many more- It makes one think about things like the little ships of Dunkirk, the selflessness and bravery- And then about how people can't even make an effort to wash their hands-

It's truly a selfish act..

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 06-Mar-20 06:59:12

I found some old hand sanitizer in the under sink cupboard, it now smells like nail varnish remover, I wonder if it’s still effective? And will it take all the skin off of my hands?
Thinks.......I’ll let DH use it first and see.

Callistemon Thu 05-Mar-20 22:58:12

I found a half used bottle of hand gel in the bathroom cabinet today so put it in my handbag because we were going out.
We stopped for a cuppa and DH bought himself a doughnut so I offered him the hand gel before he touched it. I squirted it, he moved his hands away and it went on to the table and floor but I'm not sure if some squirted on to the doughnut or not. He didn't notice and ate it anyway.

He does wash his hands when he comes in now with soap.

Hetty58 Thu 05-Mar-20 22:09:09

I'd be tempted to lock him out! Doesn't he realise that having diabetes means that he's high risk too?

ItzyBitzy Thu 05-Mar-20 22:06:46

Errrm is he a complete idiot? He obviously has dubious personal hygiene habits. Why are you still in the same house as him?

Greymar Thu 05-Mar-20 21:52:33

Verily, I say unto thee, I am indeed lost.

DeeDum Thu 05-Mar-20 21:34:01

Yes lol
I think your defy bit lost on the forum Greymar

annep1 Thu 05-Mar-20 18:36:11

grin

You can depend on Gransnet for a laugh!

Sorry Deedum Your husband is being childish and selfish.

Greymar Thu 05-Mar-20 18:28:10

I explained, sorry it was an error. It belongs on another thread.

I quite like Greyarea

Artdecogran Thu 05-Mar-20 18:05:06

Auto correct grr. I meant greymar of course