Gransnet forums

Chat

IWD 2020 - which woman do you most admire?

(84 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-20 11:04:55

This Sunday is International Women's Day so to celebrate we're asking you which woman you most admire and why? flowers

Leave your comments below grin

annifrance Fri 06-Mar-20 11:34:14

The Queen for all the above reasons, grudging admiration for Princess Anne who quietly works very hard and also won an Olympic medal for GB, brilliant horsewoman.

Michele Obama
Nancy Pelosi
My late mother in law

Emma someone, a news journalist for ITV who did a brilliant, brave and very scary report from Idlib the other night.

LuckyFour Fri 06-Mar-20 11:36:44

The Queen is amazing, so strong, intelligent, and maintains control. I also admire Theresa May and I know this will not be everyone's choice, but she was so strong when all those male MPs were against her. How she maintained her belief in democracy and her dignity I don't know. She didn't agree herself with Brexit but she fought tooth and nail for the people's choice.

bmacca Fri 06-Mar-20 11:54:04

I admire Charlotte Caldwell for her ceaseless fight to get meds for her son, Billy

Also Yrsa Daley-Ward, a young woman who overcame a difficult younger life to become a wonderful writer and poet

Alishe Fri 06-Mar-20 11:56:11

The Queen
Melanie Phillips

Carolpaint Fri 06-Mar-20 12:14:12

Marie Stopes:
as my father was one of twelve what would the crush of overpopulation be without her.

nipsmum Fri 06-Mar-20 12:29:23

Miss Robertson ,my primary school teacher who, along with my Mum taught me how to knit and sew, .also my aunt Agnes and aunt Bel who taught me embroidery.

MarieEliza Fri 06-Mar-20 12:49:13

Mother Theresa, she saw the value in every human life

Foxglove77 Fri 06-Mar-20 12:52:00

Margaret Thatcher the first female UK prime minister, this lady was not for turning!

Another vote for our Queen. I share her love of horses!

di1964 Fri 06-Mar-20 12:54:47

The Duchess of Cambridge. Kate fits into her role so well, she’s a natural with young & old.

Mollyplop Fri 06-Mar-20 13:13:30

My Mum. She is almost 75 and has horribly deformed feet with no toes due to being born with spina bifida. She wears leg irons and yet walks twice a day, volunteers at the hospital twice a week and never gives in or complains. She is an inspiration.

Patticake123 Fri 06-Mar-20 13:45:01

I admire so many women but I have difficulty choosing between Marie Stopes who introduced birth control and changing lives for millions of women and Florence Nightingale who introduced nursing to top my long, long list of fabulous women.

Purplepixie Fri 06-Mar-20 14:12:05

Our Queen. X

LovelyLady Fri 06-Mar-20 15:09:55

Nicola Sturgeon

Dee1012 Fri 06-Mar-20 15:23:48

From the past, Violette Szabo.
Present, Helen Prejean.
However, surely the ordinary women who cope every day as carer's, in war zones, who struggle against ill-health, poverty, domestic violence, etc deserve the admiration of those in better circumstances?

Bluecat Fri 06-Mar-20 15:26:37

When my DD was studying the history of the Holocaust, she came across the story of a woman who was sent with her daughter to Bergen-Belsen. Both were put in the line for labour but they saw a neighbour's child unaccompanied in the line for the gas chamber. The woman went across and held his hand, accompanying him to death. The daughter survived the war to tell her story.

I don't know the woman's name but I admire her courage, and that of unsung heroines like her.

Calendargirl Fri 06-Mar-20 15:51:17

Your post brought tears to my eyes Mollyplop

Seefah Fri 06-Mar-20 15:59:57

Ursula Von Der Leyen and the Queen. Both woman carry their huge responsibilities , whilst having large families , with elegance and devotion !

homefarm Fri 06-Mar-20 16:10:10

None, we all have faults.

songstress60 Fri 06-Mar-20 16:16:56

Why are publishing opportunities only given to either the young or those who have had work published in the past. I have written plays, short films, short stories and 2 novels. Why does Gransnet not put on competitions for aspiring playwrights, novelists who had NOT been published. I have to have a publishing deal before I shuffle of this mortal coil! Come on Gransnet, let's have some competitions for playwrights, novelists or screenplay writers, and ensure that the entrants have NEVER been published before. I NEED a break!!

Saggi Fri 06-Mar-20 16:34:26

Marie Stopes

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 17:00:58

You asked for one woman and my vote also goes to Queen Elizabeth II. Can't think of anyone who has done such devoted duty for so many years with such dignity. Just getting ready to go out all the time must be tiring at her age, never mind all the endless chatting and smiling when I'm sure she would rather be somewhere quiet.

Millie22 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:32:26

The Queen
Emmeline Pankhurst
Anyone who is suffering domestic violence

Manmar2 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:42:37

The Queen
Margaret Thatcher
Marie Curie

Lilyflower Fri 06-Mar-20 17:50:38

The Queen who has such a sense of duty and who has worked so hard is truly admirable.

Margaret Thatcher, our first woman PM, was pretty awesome though I know I will be flamed for saying so.

Lilyflower Fri 06-Mar-20 17:52:38

Mollyplop, tell your mother she has another admirer. She sounds like an unsung heroine.