Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you keep occupied in self isolation?

(61 Posts)
MrsPickle Thu 05-Mar-20 18:35:37

Two weeks on your own, or with your partner, is a long time!
What would you do?

I paint a lot, so some of the time woud be spent on that. I'm also learning a new language via Duolingo. Obviously reading. Hub is also a reader and photographer.

With 4 dogs, going 'out' will entail an entirely different regime.

What would you do to pass the time? Jigsaws?

FlexibleFriend Thu 05-Mar-20 22:32:38

I doubt I'd notice the difference tbh.

Tangerine Thu 05-Mar-20 22:36:50

I have a few jigsaws to do. I'd read books and perhaps watch more TV.

I'd tidy every drawer and cupboard and thoroughly clean the house.

My home is kept in good and clean condition but, if I had a fortnight alone, I think I'd take the opportunity to give it a "going-over".

I hope I don't have to self-isolate though. Let's hope the situation starts to improve. I read somewhere that the warmer weather could improve things.

Callistemon Thu 05-Mar-20 22:38:51

I would finish all those things which remain unfinished (although that could take months, not a couple of weeks).

Callistemon Thu 05-Mar-20 22:39:42

It depends, of course, on whether or not we remain well

Hetty58 Thu 05-Mar-20 22:42:09

There's loads of films on Netflix, Skype, several half finished knitting projects, books, seeds to plant, weeds to lift, repairs, decorating to do, cake and biscuit baking and (at a stretch/last resort) cleaning!

Doodledog Thu 05-Mar-20 22:49:50

I'd be ok, I think. I'm quite easily amused, and always have a list of books I want to read, knitting to be done, house jobs that need doing etc, and I have a number of things recorded from the TV that I haven't had time to watch, as well as a stack of audiobooks to listen to.

It takes a long time before I get bored.

merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-20 22:53:11

Our DGCs are all adult now and don't live near so we'll keep in touch as usual via facebook. DH and I are used to living and working together so the only difference will be not jumping in the car and going for a spur of the moment pub lunch or meet up with friends.

I have an old but much loved chair that needs upcycling so I might get stuck into that. If the weather improves I'll be gardening (no neighbours to worry about) and DH will be able to spend time pottering in his workshop.

Other than that it will be reading, watching telly and conjuring up some yummy meals with all the ingredients from my Brexit/Corona cupboard. grin

ginny Thu 05-Mar-20 22:55:36

I agree , I am never bored. However when you feel fit and health the lack of social interaction is the hardest thing when you are used to it.
Maybe I’m a ‘Contrary Mary’ and because I can spend so much time doing what I want, I don’t want to.

cornergran Thu 05-Mar-20 23:23:57

As long as I was well I’d be fine. Always a solitary soul there would be no need to explain my apparent anti social behaviour. I’d read, use my mindfulness and yoga recordings, plan, garden, sort clothes and drawers, email, chat on the phone, do some research, sew buttons and clean shoes. I might even clean the conservatory windows grin.

rosecarmel Thu 05-Mar-20 23:43:52

? cornergran ..

Chestnut Thu 05-Mar-20 23:50:01

Family history for me, although it would only be tidying things up and writing people's stories as I've done all the research. It's a never ending hobby that can take you to all sorts of interesting places!

Eloethan Fri 06-Mar-20 00:08:16

Reading, art work, learning choir songs, watching TV and DVDs, listening to music, housework, gardening, jigsaws.

I agree with ginny though. Once it sank in that I should not leave my home I think "cabin fever" would set in.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 06-Mar-20 00:14:12

Empty the loft. Put anything I want to keep in the garage. I am smiling/smirking to myself imagining the satisfaction of an empty loft and then nailing the trapdoor shut so I don’t start filling it again. Social contact would be an issue by week two. I would probably start talking to myself.

Merelina Fri 06-Mar-20 00:31:45

My daughter took advantage of her week’s incarceration to potty train her son. I would paint, sort out my desk and watch the tely

Purplepixie Fri 06-Mar-20 00:52:19

I have lots of craft things to do. Read books, finish some knitting, watch TV, dance about the house, gardening, baking and freezing and maybe decorate. Have food delivered and not have to go shopping. The downside is I do like to go out and drive. Hopefully it will just disappear once the warm weather arrives.

harrigran Fri 06-Mar-20 11:20:35

I am well used to staying put for long periods of time, I have not been on holiday for more than four years.
If you are well enough to read and concentrate on TV programmes I don't see a problem.

Blinko Fri 06-Mar-20 11:37:49

Is there anything which says it will disappear when the warmer weather comes along? Or is that just wishful thinking? There doesn't seem to be much science atm.

McGilchrist41 Fri 06-Mar-20 11:43:27

Decorating the house.

endlessstrife Fri 06-Mar-20 11:56:08

I’ve been in a lot the last few weeks anyway with other stubborn bugs, only venturing out when I thought I was ‘ turning a corner’. The problem so far is all corners lead back to the beginning. A bit like snakes and ladders, I keep landing back on the snake!?.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Mar-20 12:36:18

Continuing washing the paintwork.
I'd started it a day or two ago and my hands were shrivelled----so well-washed !
I don't venture out much at the best of times, particularly when we had all those winds and generally bad weather, so 2/3 weeks " incarceration " isn't going to harm if it means hanging on to my life. I'd rather that than the alternative smile

There's plenty to do if you look for it. Dumping old clothes, tidying drawers/cupboards in each room. Things that you wouldn't normally do if you didn't need to grin the time would fly.

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:12:28

I have already started tidying, sorting and throwing stuff out in case I don't make it through this pandemic. ? I want to make sure my children don't inherit a flippin' mess. I've also packed a hospital bag. I like to be prepared.

craftyone Fri 06-Mar-20 15:22:35

That actually crossed my mind too chestnut, packing a bag makes sense. I have already done the `dying tidy` thing, made my will etc. I feel fit and healthy but this covid has extremely nasty symptoms

I need to get 5 more bags of compost and will be able to spend very many happy hours propagating seeds etc. Other than that I have many constructive hobbies and can get some exercise by cycling

I have no idea what to put into a hospital grab bag, I never needed one

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:34:25

Well just imagine you're going away and will be in bed. At least two nighties, a bed jacket or cardigan, slippers, underwear, towel, toiletries, a list of your medication, hairbrush, tissues. I would also pack earplugs in case its noisy and I can't sleep. Then there is entertainment, but maybe someone will bring in things like books, iPad, iPod or whatever. On the other hand one might be so poorly you can't use any of them. ?

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:36:13

I would also want my mobile phone and charger, my glasses and some money!

Chestnut Fri 06-Mar-20 15:36:37

And my front door keys.