Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrationally excited about the milk delivery.

(64 Posts)
littleflo Sat 07-Mar-20 12:00:42

We have gone back to having our milk delivered in bottles. It comes 3 times a week and I find myself ridiculously on a high when I bring it in from the doorstep. I can’t explain it, but there is something so costly reassuring about it.

Elizabeth1 Tue 10-Mar-20 10:37:45

We’re now having milk delivered in glass bottles also orange juice in a glass bottle what’s also exciting is I’ve ordered 6 fresh eggs here’s hoping I get a pleasing double yokergrin

littleflo Tue 10-Mar-20 10:32:17

I am glad I am not alone in the excitement. We made the move as we are trying to use less plastic. We use Milk&More and every week we are trying more of their range. Some is good, some not so good . They support small producers so we do expect to pay a higher price.

gagsy Mon 09-Mar-20 19:20:47

I love bringing I my milk bottle in the morning. It feels such a comfortable thing to do.
My American granddaughter was amazed and excited to see the milk bottle on the step.

Ginge51NOW18 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:18:20

We have been receiving it on the door step for the last year, and yes it is a feel good feeling. One thing though that brought back childhood memories. We have to put out a plastic container with lid for the milkman to place our local butter in. The reason...….. birds having their early morning breakfast!

SunnySusie Mon 09-Mar-20 19:16:01

I have had milk in glass bottles delivered by a milkman my entire life and I wouldnt dream of stopping it. I dont want to drink milk infused with micro-plastic and I would much rather pay my milkman than a giant supermarket chain. I dont remember ever being woken up by any noise and in fact I have no idea what time the milk is delivered. It doesnt seem to go off even though it is organic. I still leave a Christmas card with a tip for the milkman just like my Mum and her Mum before her. I love it that the local dairy is still functioning and providing local jobs.

Lizbethann55 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:06:59

We have always had our milk delivered. When we were little mum always had 6 pints a day!! We don't have anything like that many but I love having it delivered. Our milkman comes about 2.00am. During the recent storms we had to play find the empties in the morning as they blew over the garden. We also have to leave empty yoghurt pots for the milkman to put over the top as the magpies peck the tops otherwise. American visitors thought it was brilliant. So long as the bottles stay glass I will keep getting it this way. Should he change to plastic bottles I will be at the supermarket as it is much cheaper.

dizzyblonde Mon 09-Mar-20 18:07:31

I have milk delivered three times a week, I love leaving for work at 4.45am and being able to bring the milk in before leaving. I also buy loo rolls, kitchen roll, butter, eggs and apple juice from him. I also love the fact that I can adjust the order up to 9pm the night before and that my loo and kitchen rolls are bamboo.

HillyN Mon 09-Mar-20 17:29:03

Sorry GreenGran, crossed posts!

HillyN Mon 09-Mar-20 17:26:57

I don't understand pouring away milk when it can be frozen. We buy from the supermarket and freeze it, just getting out what we need the night before we need it.
I also keep packs of the individual UHT milk 'pots' like you get in hotels, for emergencies/trips away. They could be useful for guests if you don't normally take milk.

GreenGran78 Mon 09-Mar-20 17:18:03

Singlegranny you can freeze left-over milk. If I am going away I always pop mine in the freezer, rather than throw it away. Just make sure there there is room in the bottle for it to expand, or it will pop its top off.

Singlegrannie Mon 09-Mar-20 16:58:58

I live alone and don't like milk, think I'm lactose intolerant. I do like a splash in my tea, (plant milks just aren't right) but I drink coffee black and use plant milk for cereal and cooking.
I also have to buy milk in case of visitors and for grandchildren, but I waste a lot ! I wish it was available in small amounts.

libra10 Mon 09-Mar-20 16:53:53

We had our milk delivered daily until about a year ago when the milkman retired.

Now we buy from the supermarket, and it is about half the price we used to pay the milkman for delivery. (65p a pint then), and probably more expensive now.

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 16:37:54

For any poster who wondered why I poured slightly going off milk down the sink and didn’t magic up some yoghurt or cheese with it or whip up a batch of scones (!) ......perhaps the fact that I was juggling a full time job and bringing up three children at the time had something to do with it.As well as keeping the house clean and shopping etc.
If all milkmen brought milk to the doorstep between 5 a.m. and 8 there wouldn’t be a problem.

Lizzies Mon 09-Mar-20 16:28:48

We had our milk delivered for most of our marriage but the milkman got miffed when I kept the 0 tag in the milk bottle box for a long time when DH was in hospital for weeks (I don’t use it). He told me I had to tell him how long I didn’t need it for and I couldn’t, so I cancelled it. Now I am on my own I’m trying to figure out how to have milk for visitors without throwing out nearly a full pint a week after they came!

LadyKathleen Mon 09-Mar-20 15:51:27

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. During the late 40s, 50s, and part of the 60s our milk was delivered. There was a little "milk box" near the side door of the house. It was so nice. I really wish there still was milk delivery here. However, as an adult, I've lived in Kentucky, California, Connecticut, and Washington State and delivery service is not available. I'm not sure if it's offered anywhere in the United States. You are all quite lucky!

4allweknow Mon 09-Mar-20 15:40:56

A milkman delivers in my area. Next door neighbour has the service and I did consider I should too untilarrivibg home late one night I saw the milkman placing the milk nextdoor. The time was 12 midnight! Don't fancy my milk sitting for 7/8 hours in the summer. Old style deliveries were usually 5/6 am.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 09-Mar-20 15:20:31

@polnan. Mary Hopkins x

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:21:26

I can just remember the milkman who had a horse, called Dobbin, and cart. Sadly Dobbin got past it when I was about three and the milkman bought an electric milk float.

The "bobbin man" had a horse, Jimmy, until we went smokeless and no one wanted his bobbins any more.

They were rejects from the small businesses that made bobbins for Coates mills in Paisley and the English Sewing Factory in Nielston. We used them for lighting fires.

Unfortunately no-one delivers milk here.

Remember the blue-tits pecking holes in the foil covers to get at the milk?

Moggycuddler Mon 09-Mar-20 14:02:50

Much cheaper to get it delivered in our weekly online shop. UHT of course. We haven't had milk delivered by a milkman in many years. Wasn't even sure anybody even still did it! We used to get ours pinched or the little silver tops pecked by birds.

Molli Mon 09-Mar-20 13:37:00

We have had ours delivered in glass bottles 3 x a week for over a year now. We know it’s a bit more expensive so it is a life style choice but we budget for it. It’s just less than £8 a week for what we order. We treat ourselves sometimes to a good top! Recently I was really poorly with shingles and hubby came off his bike and had trauma to his face and teeth and broke his elbow. For a week neither of us could cope with going out and the extras you could order - loaf of bread, butter and some eggs and juice were a godsend.

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Mar-20 13:35:33

We stopped our milk delivery when they went into plastic some 6 or 8 years ago.
They had been much more expensive than the supermarket for years which we understood but they also regularly delivered our milk short dated (not many people wanting organic milk in those days). However, because we saw it as a “social good” we continued to support them for a long, long time.

I’m afraid that the move to plastic was the last straw for us. In our area they are still plastic.
If they are not in glass I will unfortunately go on buying from the supermarket.

Blindfish50 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:24:13

Littleflo. I've been having milk delivered 4months ago to try and reduce plastic. He usually comes around midnight,before I go to bed. He's very quiet and I always feel irrationally excited to see those shiney white bottles.

Nannymarg53 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:15:04

I used to have milk delivered until a few weeks ago when I went away for a week and the stupid milk person kept leaving the bottles on the doorstep even though I’d phoned the depot to tell them I was away! ?‍♀️ So I cancelled the order. I miss it though because it felt like Father Christmas had been 3 times a week! ?

Kartush Mon 09-Mar-20 12:47:51

We don’t have home delivered milk here where I am and as I am the only person in our house who drinks milk I use cupboard cows and there is definitely no excitement in getting one of those out of the pantry

polnan Mon 09-Mar-20 12:22:16

Those were the days my friend... we thought they`d never end...... (song)