Gransnet forums

Chat

Going to the cinema alone

(99 Posts)
DaisyL Sun 08-Mar-20 10:14:07

Yesterday afternoon I went to see Emma by myself. None of my friends or family could make it and I really wanted to see it, (good fun by the way) so I bit the bullet and went alone. First time I've ever done that but I shall do it again. My husband died four years ago today and I've been on holiday alone but somehow the cinema has always been a couples or a group thing. What does anyone else think?

AlgeswifeVal Wed 11-Mar-20 22:42:30

I love going to the cinema on my own and go fairly often. I do lots of things on my own, most things such as cycling, swimming, and busing to other towns to look around. I have no qualms about getting dinner out either. I go to the crown court and sit in the public gallery to listen to a trial as well. Life is what you make it.

Estrellita Wed 11-Mar-20 16:18:26

I prefer to go on my own as I can really concentrate on the film without the person next to me chatting. I sometimes used to go with a friend but I got fed up with her asking me questions about the film all the way through

grannyactivist Wed 11-Mar-20 13:39:19

Sometimes I cross out a day in my diary as a proper day off and then I go to the cinema so that I can't be drawn into answering my phone or emails. I always enjoy going and it feels truly indulgent; we have two 'Silver Screen' showings each week and that includes tea/coffee and a biscuit. I see films that otherwise I probably wouldn't watch.

I don't often get much time alone, so I've always relished the opportunity of doing something by myself, but having been ill for so long now I've missed the busy hubbub that I'm usually in the middle of.

Liscarney Wed 11-Mar-20 13:31:59

I go on my own to the cinema on a regular basis. Prefer to go in the morning as there are usually only half a dozen people there. Peace & quiet. What a good idea about having a thread recommending forthcoming films.

dannysgran Wed 11-Mar-20 11:37:42

I went to the NT Live encore screening of Cyrano de Bergerac on my own yesterday. I often do go to the cinema alone if no one else wants to. I've noticed quite a lot of people go alone.

Marmight Wed 11-Mar-20 11:16:44

Since my DH died I’ve gradually become braver. If you want to do or see something you could wait for ever for someone to go with. I’ve been on a solos holiday, to the Opera in Sydney, classical concerts, often to the cinema, stayed in hotels, eaten out, gone on day art courses and flown alone avross the world many times to see my DD. Obviously it would be better to share these experiences, and I often do, but I’m becoming to quite like my own company. 8 years ago I wouldn't have thought it possible

Tillybelle Wed 11-Mar-20 10:53:38

Greengage. Me too. smile

Tillybelle Wed 11-Mar-20 10:50:24

I cannot get out now but I was 42 when my husband died so I used to do a lot on my own.
I only once had a bad cinema experience when some yobs kept kicking the back of my seat. It didn't put me off entirely but made me reluctant to go to some films during the afternoon.

BlueSapphire Wed 11-Mar-20 09:36:19

I also eat out on my own (especially if on a shopping. day out), and have been known to enter a pub unaccompanied! I don't feel uncomfortable at all. Also do holidays on my own, especially cruises.

BlueSapphire Wed 11-Mar-20 09:29:53

I regularly go on my own since DH died, but always in the afternoon, and only to our little independent cinema. It has two screens, but only about 100 seats per screen. I feel perfectly comfortable and can sit back and enjoy a glass of wine ?!

DaisyL Wed 11-Mar-20 09:24:35

We have a film night in our local village hall where you can buy wine and have supper afterwards. I felt very self-conscious the first time I went on my own after my husband died, but there are always people there that I know so am fine now. But how silly is it that I don't like buying a single chop or one steak at the butcher? I feel as though I should give an explanation (I don't!) about being on my own. Am sure there are many psychological reasons for this - won't bore everyone with them, but interesting that they are still here in my 70s.

Aepgirl Wed 11-Mar-20 08:55:24

Yes, I nervously went to the cinema alone a while ago, and now do it regularly. It was scary first time, but of course, the lights are so low that no one can see you.

Baloothefitz Wed 11-Mar-20 00:08:37

Good for you DaisyL I fancy seeing Emma too.I first went to the cinema alone yonks ago to see Shirley Valentine.

Jess20 Tue 10-Mar-20 22:29:15

I always seem to want to see different films to rest of family, going alone is a great pleasure smile

Grandma2213 Tue 10-Mar-20 20:51:34

I too have always done lots of things on my own. Recently a new cinema opened in our town and it is now one of my regular visits. I usually go to a late morning or early afternoon showing and 'Seniors' also get a free coffee. I have laughed and cried through 'Military Wives' today. About 15 in today so quite packed compared to my usual visits where there are usually no more than 4 or 5 others (and all spread out) so great for self isolating.

Greengage Tue 10-Mar-20 20:41:54

Have always been happy to do things on my own. I am not a loner but am good in my own company.

Shizam Tue 10-Mar-20 19:53:09

I’ve been to cinema on my own since 11. When I went to see Love Story. Was meant to go with my mum. But then she died. Wept throughout for all above reasons. Still go alone. Still weep. Although films like Emma make me laugh a lot. Brilliant film.

Treebee Tue 10-Mar-20 19:37:58

Last night I went to a concert on my own, and today I saw Military Wives by myself. I love it! It surprises me to see husbands tagging along to something, obviously not enjoying it, but just accompanying their wives.

MiniDriver56 Tue 10-Mar-20 19:37:14

I’ve been to the cinema many times alone! My DH works overseas, so I make sure I’m busy.

Missiseff Tue 10-Mar-20 18:53:39

Good for you! It's not like you can have a conversation with anyone whilst the film's on anyway. I first went on my own a couple of years ago to see Jackie. Ordinarily it would have been one I'd gone to see with my Daughter but our relationship has soured so I went on my own as still wanted to see the film and it didn't seem right going with anyone else. It was odd, and sad, but I'm glad I did it. You shouldn't miss out x I may be going to see Emma by myself too as none of my friends are interested. My husband says he'll come with me, but to be honest, he's not bothered so I'd rather go on my own than having him endure something he's not interested in, he'd just annoy me!

Jans3 Tue 10-Mar-20 17:30:29

When my husband died last year, I started going to the cinema alone as I found it was a very easy thing to do. I also started to go swimming having lunch in the cafe after. Since then, I have joined meetup and it has changed my life. I go out most weeks normally with women, sometimes a man may be brave enough! I can’t recommend it enough. Life is for living

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 10-Mar-20 17:04:08

I bit the bullet once and went on my own and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. If necessary I would do it again for sure.

RosesAreRed21 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:32:59

I would certainly go to the cinema on my own. Good on you for doing it too

EthelJ Tue 10-Mar-20 16:25:31

I went to the cinema alone for the first time this year and I liked it. I foun sit very relaxing. Also it made me wonder why I hadn't before. You chat speak to anyone while watching a film so going alone doesn't really matter.

Susieq62 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:18:29

Going to the cinema alone is a great move!! I am happy to do so but it’s nicer to be able to discuss the film afterwards.
I always feel safe in the cinema or theatre alone!!
Well done for biting the bullet and doing it. Sometimes it is easier to just go for it as opposed to waiting for others to make up their minds!