Gransnet forums

Chat

Lurkers' week: what's the first single you ever bought?

(199 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Mar-20 09:12:10

What’s the first single you ever bought?

Confession - I can’t actually remember mine - though I do remember the first single I ever owned...Puppy Love by Donny Osmond (and I was most peeved because my brother got Long Haired Lover from Liverpool by Jimmy Osmond and I’d have much rather had that grin)

Riverdaffyd Mon 09-Mar-20 12:13:56

My first record was It Might as Well Rain Until September, by Carole King! Might still have it!

deliasmiff Mon 09-Mar-20 12:15:22

Not a single, an album, Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd and I still have it

RubyGran Mon 09-Mar-20 12:15:49

Being from Liverpool and loving the Beatles you'd expect mine to have been one of their singles, but I had three older sisters who used to buy them, luckily for me. No one was particularly impressed, however, when I went solo and bought 'A Groovy Kind of Love' by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders in 1965, and played it non-stop!

LizB1626 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:16:10

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't remember! One thing I do remember though is when I was thirteen I started going out with my sister's ex just before my birthday. She's only just over a year older than me so had just had her birthday. He gave me Curly by The Move, which I didn't like at all but it just happened to be one my sister liked!

jacalpad Mon 09-Mar-20 12:16:13

A World Without Love by Peter and Gordon!

Foxglove77 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:16:27

My first 45 single was Bruce Springsteen, Dancing in the Dark.

Bubblyone Mon 09-Mar-20 12:17:19

I bought Edelweiss by Vince Hill as my first ever record! So completely unlike my later choices but back when I was 12 I was still a good little Catholic Convent schoolgirl!

Pandagran Mon 09-Mar-20 12:23:43

What a fantastic idea to get us lurkers out of our comfort zones and post, my first single was Wondering Star from the movie Paint Your Wagon sung by oh no help I can't remember it's on the tip of my toung I do remember the B side was I talk to the Trees sung by Clint Eastwood.

frasus Mon 09-Mar-20 12:25:13

The first single I bought was Tom Jones - Green Green Grass of Home for my mum

Pandagran Mon 09-Mar-20 12:30:23

Thank goodness for Google it was Lee Marvin!

Mtc59 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:34:26

Think it was crazy horses by the Osmonds!

benhamslc Mon 09-Mar-20 12:34:51

Never ending song of love by the New Seekers used to love Marty

Tammie12 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:35:17

The first single I ever bought was it’s now or never, by elvis.
Played it every day all day when ever I could

Geneva2 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:37:00

Ackerman Bill’s Stranger on the Shore - I loved anything remotely connected with France!

aggi Mon 09-Mar-20 12:45:37

Un lurking with my first post to say I can't remember the first single I bought but I know my first LP was Amen Corner - If Paradise is half as nice.

Maggiemaybe Mon 09-Mar-20 12:46:42

My first record was It Might as Well Rain Until September, by Carole King! Might still have it!

It might well do it as well, Riverdaffyd! grin

Good to see all the new names on here.

Mine was Concrete and Clay, by Unit Four Plus Two. Or I think it was. I bought it at Woollies and it could have been one of those cheap ones they sold, performed by session musicians. I was 10, I wouldn’t have known the difference. grin

micky987 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:47:21

It was a Wombles single. I can’t remember the name of it but some of the lyrics were : Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we, making good use of the things that we find, things that the everyday folk leave behind. I think I was about 5. Recycling was a thing even back then, had we listened to the Wombles we’d actually be 50 years ahead with cleaning up our planet...

crazygranny Mon 09-Mar-20 12:48:24

Love me do - such a Beatles fan!

Angelwings Mon 09-Mar-20 12:49:22

I can’t remember the first single I bought but I do remember that I used to go to the corner shop to buy one every couple of weeks, but they were quite often warped and didn’t play well on the record player so I would have to take it back and swap it out the next week.
Early singles would have included Boney M, The Pretenders, David Essex.

Molly10 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:52:16

Wow, there are some great songs and memories on here. I'll be hitting you tube for some reminders soon.

The first singles I got were The First of May - Bee Gees, which I think was the one I bought myself.

or it could have been Raindrops keep falling on my head -- Sacha Distel. One was bought for my birthday and I bought the other out of birthday money.

catta5 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:06:15

i'm Alive by the Hollies

NannyJan53 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:08:40

The first single I bought was Black is Black, but Los Bravos! I think it was 5 shillings, a lot considering my weekly pocket money was 1/6d.

Welcome to all the first time posters smile

Gothnana Mon 09-Mar-20 13:11:38

Tracy Ullman's cover of the Kirsty McColl song They Don't Know smile

Damdee Mon 09-Mar-20 13:20:27

Someone bought me Love Me Do by The Beatles. I think I was about 5 years old. I can't remember the first one I bought myself.

Purplepoppies Mon 09-Mar-20 13:24:49

I was lucky enough not to have to buy singles.... my father worked in an industry where by he 'acquired ' the top ten every week ?. First album I bought was Blondie, Parallel Lines. And I still have it!!