Gransnet forums

Chat

Who are we really?

(61 Posts)
Artdecogran Mon 09-Mar-20 11:20:33

Having been on forums for a while now, I have noticed that there are a few people who always seem to disrupt a discussion. That led me to wonder if people are who they are purporting to be. After all I could be a 6’8” , 400 pound hairy rugby player aged 22. You would never know. What do you think?

Anoia Wed 11-Mar-20 10:10:17

Hi, I’m genuine, I was at the Portsmouth meet-up a few weeks ago. The other Nans I met were a lovely lot.

Bridgeit Wed 11-Mar-20 09:58:38

Perhaps sites likes this allow us to reveal (unintentionally) a side of personalities that we either hide or do not display in real life .

BradfordLass73 Wed 11-Mar-20 05:49:45

I don't really care who people really are.

I take them at face value. 400lb rugby player; ballet dancer, doctor or escapee from the loony bin, it's all totally irrelevant.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 10-Mar-20 11:17:47

Nonnie we could be twins!

Nonnie Tue 10-Mar-20 10:47:26

Well I am 5' 5", size 10, play tennis for the country, have no worries, a perfect family, GC with very high IQs who win at everything, oh and I have perfect hair. If you believe any of that you don't know me grin

MawB Tue 10-Mar-20 10:26:47

This is a dreadful post LilyK and whatever the rights and rings or misunderstandings, it completely ignores the genuine sorrow and sympathy many of us felt. Many especially perhaps those of us who have lost a parent, partner or child will have shed tears for someone we may not have known in RL. but warmed to and genuinely liked.
Please do not be so hasty to judge, even in your grief .

Lilyk Tue 10-Mar-20 10:19:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JenniferEccles Tue 10-Mar-20 09:40:55

I completely agree with you Curlywhirly it’s not a nice feeling at all.

All we can do is to trust our instinct, common sense, life experience along with an awareness of the timings of certain information given.

Curlywhirly Tue 10-Mar-20 09:29:53

Yes, I am genuine too! Only recently come to gransnet, and have just had my first experience of a troll on this site ? It never occurred to me that, on a forum so innocent as GN, people might not be who they portray, or that their posts are not genuine. What a very sad occupation, they must lead very boring lives to feel the need to invent another personna or torment people. I really need to be a bit more cynical - but it doesn't come easy!

Anniebach Tue 10-Mar-20 08:42:33

I haven’t met anyone here, I am me

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:54:48

Yep I can vouch for kitty and very nice she is too!

vena11 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:43:05

I am real too, cant understand any of this to be honest.. Life is real enough without making another one up .

kittylester Tue 10-Mar-20 07:40:20

I know you are real dragonfly as am I!!

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Mar-20 07:36:52

I am real as some GNs can verify.

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 07:12:53

Scentia, you are correct about IP addresses.
IP address. An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device connected to a computer network.

If you really wanted to have two identities, you could use your mobile phone for one and your PC for another.........I think. ? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Too much palaver for me, I would forget who I was and what device I was on! grin

Mythbirtthedragon Tue 10-Mar-20 07:06:07

When I joined GN, I put my ‘real’ name and was advised to change it to protect privacy. Dragon is my family nickname courtesy of DB2, an advance on ‘stinky’. My first niece’s congratulations card from her aunts and uncles named ‘senior sister, dragon, hoolit, saus and slug.

Sark Tue 10-Mar-20 06:44:11

Brook2704 I could just copy and paste your post!
I only joined to give and receive support, general chatting etc and I enjoy reading about other GNs lives.
I don't get why anyone would create a fantasy

Scentia Tue 10-Mar-20 06:24:10

I didn’t quite get the facts right, but it does change regularly!!!!

Scentia Tue 10-Mar-20 06:22:13

I think your IP address will change every time you log out and then log in to your e mail account. I will google that now I have said it?

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 23:26:18

I know you're not a spy Marydoll! grin

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 23:20:07

Chewy, there are ways to hide your IP address, so if you are determined enough to do so and wish to create different personae, it can be done.
If you go to those lengths, I suspect your intentions are not entirely honourable. sad.

By they way, I can assure you, I have only one persona, I can hardly remember what I said five minutes ago, let alone spin a web of subterfuge! grin. Then again, this may be a ruse to put people off the track. wink

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 23:08:55

You're right Marydoll, but I'm still puzzled as to how they can set up 2 personas. It wasn't long ago that another poster and I were accused of being one and the same person! Even a message from GNHQ couldn't convince them otherwise!

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 23:02:16

Well, Chewy, only they can tell you that and I'm sure they are not going to admit to doing it any time soon.

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 22:59:26

But how/why do people set up different personas? Once you register, surely your IP address is logged and you won't be able to register again? And, as previously said, we all have a distinctive style of writing,( I know that I use " " a lot); so it would be obvious that someone was being a sock puppet.

I've met a couple of GNetters for coffee irl.

Marydoll Mon 09-Mar-20 22:52:42

grandMattie, I was only joking. You couldn't possibly be my friend, she doesn't know how to use social media.
However, she is the loveliest person, just as I'm sure you are.