Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(56 Posts)
12Michael Tue 10-Mar-20 06:06:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its just day light but looks grey outside as well here in Brackley.
Today, bus journeys, to my usual venues for coffees etc.
Plus Housework continues this morning as well.
Mick

Grammaretto Tue 10-Mar-20 08:01:37

Good morning all from the Blustery Borders!
I had to meet a French volunteer off the bus last night, wading through puddles it was quite a welcome. It's her first time in Scotland and her first time on a plane.
I'll be showing her tasks today and then scooting off to see my pal who, like Urmstongran, is a migrating bird who is about to head to sunny Spain.
I'm not jealous envy
Wishing all the best to all those with troubles and worries today. xx

whywhywhy Tue 10-Mar-20 08:08:33

Good morning from a sunny and dry Market Harborough.

Sending love and hugs to all who are suffering.

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 08:11:48

whywhywhy, are you feeling a bit low today, sending you hugs. Could you send some of your sun up here, please?
Take care. ?

Auntieflo Tue 10-Mar-20 08:21:50

Good morning Michael, Annie and all. It's a grey start to the day here, but hope it stays dry.
Susan, there used to be an ointment you could buy for treating eyes, Golden Eye Ointment. It was good, but has probably disappeared into the mists of time, like lots of old fashioned things. Anyway, I hope your eye soon heals.
Heard the lovely news yesterday that one of our GD's is to be married, later this year, something to look forward to. I will have no hand in anything, she appears to be very organised. Marydoll, you amaze me with your organisational skills, but I do wonder why (me being nosy) that your DD isn't doing more of it herself? She must be a very busy person.
I played with the new steam mop yesterday, and it works a treat, so I will have to show DH how it works.
I have been knitting little canula sleeves, for babies, but was now wondering if they will be used, with the coronavirus around.
Thinking of all the folk who are under the weather, especially the Gillybobs.
Have a good day one and all.

Harris27 Tue 10-Mar-20 08:24:19

Good morning all. Clear Morning over the NE. Work today and fitting all other things in hope everyone has a good day.

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 08:31:21

Auntieflo, DD and her fiance have done most of the organising, they even made the Scrabble themed invitations.
They work very long hours, so I'm working on all the finishing touches. DD hasn't a clue about things like that! grin She is the exact opposite of me.
Normally I would have been the MOB from hell, interfering in everything, but I just haven't the energy. wink. This is my way of being part of it all.

I was supposed to be baking the wedding cake, but have had to ask my friends at M&S to take the strain, as reluctantly I have accepted I won't manage it.
DIL and future DIL are a whizz at cake decorating, so that is their task.

conor Tue 10-Mar-20 08:35:39

Good morning from a grey Essex. AIBU to be worried about the impending doom of self isolation as things seem to be moving at an alarming rate! Think I may have to add few extras to my supermarket shopping!
School volunteering today then yoga this evening. Only around 20 in the class so not a 'big public gathering'!
Hope everyone has the best day they can xxx

Mapleleaf Tue 10-Mar-20 08:42:24

Good morning everyone,

It’s dry and breezy here in Yorkshire today after a wet evening.

Not a lot planned for today other than to start the pile of ironing that has resulted from my mammoth washing catch up now the new machine is up and running. Plenty of days not touched yet as my dear MiL used to say, so will pace the ironing!

Went to my colleagues funeral yesterday. It was a sad time, her poor DH looks so lost. I don’t think it has helped that it was over 4 weeks from her dying to the funeral taking place. Luckily he has a caring family to support him.

I hope today is kind to everyone. Take care all.

EllanVannin Tue 10-Mar-20 08:43:40

Good Morning All x
A dull and grey start to the day, but feels on the mild side.
I do really need to stock up on cat food as it works out cheaper from Asda than it does in local shops, so no doubt I'll get there armed with a list while the going's good.

I was just watching the 64 year old who's rowed the Atlantic. What a woman ! What an achievement ! Well done her. I was sitting here " feeling " her aches and pains.

Hope the eye eases, Susan, a cyst, you poor thing.It's bad enough when you get something that's blown in your eye.

Nortsat I had to laugh about the newspapers ( Sun ) in the litter tray----best ones to use for that purpose !

Urmstongran, are there still those delicious real fruits ice cream sundaes in Spain ? When my friend and I used to go, we stayed in Pollensa one time and used to make a bee-line for a café ( outdoor ) each day to make sure we had one of every variety. They were out of this world and served in a large long glass dish. Never had their like since.

I hope you have a decent day today Dragonfly. Also Marydoll too and of course the Gillybobs. Stay safe and germ-free everyone but enjoy the day all the same. xx

Baggs Tue 10-Mar-20 08:45:46

Morning, folks!

Wet, wet, wet in Argyll again. Hey ho. Red deer have been gnawing the bark of some of the holly trees in our garden. The only one we've seen is a hind. I'm wondering if she's pregnant and there's something in holly bark, and the lichens that grow on it, that she needs.

I'm up to doing some exercises to bring back the rotational movement in my shoulder. For one of them I'm using my grandma's rolling pin. Don't worry, it's just as a stick to help move my forearm sideways while my elbow is securely tucked into my side.

Good Tuesdays, everyone!

EllanVannin Tue 10-Mar-20 08:53:25

Auntieflo, I remember the Golden eye ointment.We always had a tube of it in the family as I used to get styes. Dad used to say it was with looking through keyholes, he was always jesting
Good stuff though as I remember. Along with the other weird and wonderful " treatments and mixtures " in the medicine cupboard. Not forgetting the Wintergreen.

Baggs Tue 10-Mar-20 08:54:15

marydoll, that's the method my mum told me to use on styes and boils that I got in my O-level year (my periods stopped too; GP said it was stress!). And yes, it eased the pressure. Haven't had a stye or boil since and all returned to normal on the egg release front.

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 09:00:11

You can still get Golden Eye ointment, my mother always had a tube in the house.

Greyduster Tue 10-Mar-20 09:05:59

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Maple has our South weather spot on, and I don’t think we will get away without another shower or two. I have a mountain of ironing to tackle this morning but I don’t suppose I will make it past the foothills! Second school run later. GS will need an early tea as he is going out with his running club as soon as his dad gets home. Have a happy day folks. Don’t let the virus get you down!

Baggs Tue 10-Mar-20 09:06:24

Mum said to use magnesium paste for spots too. Not that I had many as a teenager, just the boils' revenge!

Maybelater2020 Tue 10-Mar-20 09:08:49

Having been lured back by lurkers week I thought I would pop into this nice chatty thread to say good morning to everyone. Dull and grey in my part of Cheshire this morning but sky looks lighter towards North Wales so maybe I will be able to get out into the garden later. Have good day all.

gillybob Tue 10-Mar-20 09:09:41

Good morning from the NE coat where we have had a very windy night . It’s still quite windy now and I’m off out to “that place” in about 15 minutes.

I picked DGS (10) up from school yesterday (last minute) which was a brilliant excuse to leave the hell hole a bit sooner than normal . He is such a breath of fresh air. Had to laugh when we got home to mine he proceeded to make himself a bowl of cereal with warm milk and announced that he was going to make him and his dad a pizza for their supper. He then went on to raid my cupboards and fridge for anything he could use to make it (apparently they had the bases ) including a block of cheese, sweet corn, tomatoes, tomato purée and crikey knows what else. When DS turned up to fetch him his mobile rang and he announced “just waiting for DS who’s on the rob from his grandma” . He sent me a photo of his creation and while there was a little too much sweet corn for my liking it did look rather yummy.

I Hope your eye feels better soon Susan I’m glad the compresses are helping . Keep up the good work Marydoll you are such a creative lady. I hope you have a good day today dragonfly and that your DH’s scan goes okay.
Enjoy your time in Malaga Urmstongran I admit to being a a touch envy as I head out to another thrilling day.

Have everyone has the best Tuesday possible (my second worst day of the week)

Love Gillybob xx

Oh PS can anyone explain to me how to get the PM alerts working again. I have missed a couple and feel awful .

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 09:11:15

Baggs, I have that in the house too. It is brilliant for poisoned fingers! However, it is really difficult to source now.

Maybelater, a very warm welcome!

I need to go, I have procrastinated too long!

Marydoll Tue 10-Mar-20 09:14:20

Gilly, go into your Inbox, click settings and there will be a box on the left hand side, which you tick to allow alerts.
If you can't find it, let me know and I will send you a screenshot, when I get back from the docs.

Anniebach Tue 10-Mar-20 09:16:16

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

BladeAnnie Tue 10-Mar-20 09:20:20

Good morning all - hope everyone has the best day possible x

whywhywhy Tue 10-Mar-20 10:19:53

Thanks Marydoll. Sending sun your way. X

Kalu Tue 10-Mar-20 10:56:04

A late good morning from Perthshire. Internet connection playing up.

Enjoyed my morning dog walk and now doing a last minute tidy up then heading home.

I loved going to Carrefour Urmsongran. My local supermarket in France and I am still using the lifetime carrier bags I used there years ago, still good as new.

The wooden spoon method for cysts was always recommended, messy but it worked. I was prone to styes and a combination of golden eye plus rubbing a golden wedding band gently on the sty was my Mother’s remedy.
Marydoll matrons were always scary but ran her hospital to her very high standards and heaven help anyone who broke the rules?

Best wishes to all for a pleasant day.

Susan56 Tue 10-Mar-20 11:30:37

Mary,my husband told me to use a spoon but I thought he was making it up?will give it a go when we get home later.Think it’s going to be a late night.Our son in laws school has had an Ofsted inspection sprung on them so he is having to work late and DD is working later so we are on child care duties.

Nannytopsy Tue 10-Mar-20 12:26:37

Another late arrival! Good afternoon Mick and all his followers.
I have been painting a piece of furniture this morning and I am happy to say the builders finally finished about an hour ago!! Only 4 months ...
The carpet goes down on Thursday (we chose ours at the first shop Kitty!) and then we can finally finish the unpacking from our move last September.
Nortsat I can think of no better use for the Sun!
I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.