Gransnet forums

Chat

Caronavirus and Cheltenham

(23 Posts)
Nightsky2 Tue 10-Mar-20 15:47:25

Shoulder to shoulder at Cheltenham. Is this wise?.

Callistemon Tue 10-Mar-20 15:53:06

Sneeze into your elbow.

All this wind should blow any cobwebs, sorry viruses, away

Daisymae Tue 10-Mar-20 15:55:46

No it doesn't seem the most logical thing to do. Already a case in Cheltenham. Well they will be able to study the spread in 5 -10 days.

merlotgran Tue 10-Mar-20 15:57:44

It's all about money.

Callistemon Tue 10-Mar-20 16:05:02

Oh, I thought you were there, Nightsky, I was trying to reassure you.

Cunco Tue 10-Mar-20 16:08:17

Personally, I do not think it is wise. We are told the virus does not live long outdoors and extra facilities have been provided but I would not be going to Cheltenham. The large Irish contingent at the races also means there is a cross-border infection risk in both directions.

The question will arise whether it should have taken place but it would be illogical to ban Cheltenham and allow football matches and the like. It may happen later, Meanwhile, we have to make our own personal decisions. Mine would be to watch on TV.

AGAA4 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:14:05

It is a risk as some people there are sure to be infectious. And if they infect others then on it goes

12Michael Tue 10-Mar-20 16:33:44

I go to see Mary Poppins in London on Thursday, and be interested to see how shows like it are copping
Mick

B9exchange Tue 10-Mar-20 16:43:44

We went to see the Upstart Crow with David Mitchell in London, not a free seat in the house. Also blissfully free of mobile screens, not one in evidence during the performance, what a joy!

Davidhs Tue 10-Mar-20 17:07:04

Numbers are down so some see it as a risk, in reality it’s just like any shop, supermarket, school or Football match. At your own risk, maybe that will change soon.

Labaik Tue 10-Mar-20 17:12:46

People would have travelled to Cheltenham regardless as they book holiday and accommodation months in advance, often having an annual meet up with friends. Had the meeting being held behind closed doors, as had been suggested they would still have gone and met up in pubs etc. I understand there is hand sanitiser everywhere and hope that people are sensible and use it. A lot of people have stayed away.

EllanVannin Tue 10-Mar-20 17:14:13

We've got a couple of weeks yet to see who's been harbouring the virus.

Nightsky2 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:21:36

Labiak. . Yes I agree, crowd down 10% I believe. I wonder how many couldn’t be bothered to wash their hands before going off to the pubs. hmm

Nadine Dorries in self isolation after proofing positive for Caronavirus, she attended some kind of party at no 10 last Thursday.

Having a first ever delivery from Tesco and Sainsbury’s today as I am staying away from crowded placed like supermarkets, cinemas, theatres etc., and Cheltenham of course.

SalsaQueen Wed 11-Mar-20 14:49:29

Like so many more millions of people, they are carrying on with life and not panicking.

Daisymae Wed 11-Mar-20 16:00:11

Salsa - no need to panic, but it would seem sensible to learn from Italy. Looking at the budget the government have a budget of £35 billion to help with the impending virus crisis. They are expecting 20 percent of the workforce to be sick at any one time.

merlotgran Wed 01-Apr-20 22:33:03

Andrew Parker Bowles has coronavirus. He fears he caught it at a packed Cheltenham Festival.

He said 'you can't blame Cheltenham' for going ahead 'but I do know quite a few people who picked it up there'.

That remark shows what a brainless prat he is. angry

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 22:38:32

That was more than 14 days ago though.
Did he catch it from his step-father?

merlotgran Wed 01-Apr-20 22:49:36

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8177759/Camilla-Parker-Bowless-ex-husband-coronavirus-fears-caught-Cheltenham-Festival.html

Andrew is Camilla's first husband, Calli.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 22:54:45

Oh, from his father.
I meant perhaps he caught it from his step-father Prince Charles. Or perhaps he gave it to him!

merlotgran Wed 01-Apr-20 23:00:44

You're thinking of Tom Parker Bowles. The article is about Andrew, who has coronavirus and is Camilla's first husband. He was at Cheltenham with Princess Anne, the Tindalls et al.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 23:14:58

It's late!
Yes, I am, sorry brain fuzz now.

Ah yes, APB next to P Anne who has an hanky over her nose!

merlotgran Wed 01-Apr-20 23:18:28

grin

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 23:37:45

Their names are the wrong way round.
I think of an Andrew as being DS's age and a Tom being my age!

That is normal. grin