Gransnet forums

Chat

what is it with people?

(12 Posts)
sharon59 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:38:59

Just been into a local co op, it's not a big shop and in the few minutes I was in there all I could hear was someone with a hacking cough. I did not see who it was and at the check out the lady in front of me turned to say that the coughing lady was not even putting her hand over her mouth! Under the circumstances I do think she shoud have been approached by a member of staff and asked to do this. Under any circumstances coughing and sneezing should be done into a tissue, but even more so at this time. Couldn't wait to get out of the shop, unfortunately the shop staff don't have that luxury.

Violettham Thu 12-Mar-20 11:45:50

Unfortuately there seems to be quite a few people around like this. As I am getting very old now and have a health condition Named in the at risk list, I have decided to stay at home as much as I can. I know I am fortunate as I have family living with me. Keep well everyone.

quizqueen Thu 12-Mar-20 11:45:59

Don't put your hand over your mouth to stifle a cough as the germs will be on your hands and then you touch things. Cough into your sleeve or down inside the clothes round your neck instead.

harrigran Thu 12-Mar-20 11:46:15

We encountered this in Aldi last week with someone sneezing, it was revolting.
DH has taken to popping to the supermarket very early in the morning, shelves are stocked and there are fewer people around.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Mar-20 11:53:55

Well - quite. This is the problem with self-isolation - can you imagine someone like this actually doing the right thing?

aggie Thu 12-Mar-20 11:55:54

At Mass this morning , in a very sparsely populated Church , an idiot woman sat directly behind me and kept coughing all over my back !

moggie57 Thu 12-Mar-20 12:02:16

i would have said something .like cover your mouth please.so you just stood there and said nothing?

sharon59 Thu 12-Mar-20 12:23:59

As I said Moggie 57, I could only hear this person. If I had see her or been within ear shot I would have said something, then, like most other people walk quickly in the opposite direction.

grannyactivist Thu 12-Mar-20 12:45:45

I have a really bad cough and have barely been out of the house since it started, but a couple of weeks ago I was in a church service (to collect a cheque donation smile). The service sheet advised that anyone who felt unable (for health reasons) to shake hands during the peace should do the 'namaste' gesture instead (hands together and incline the head). I explained to the people sitting behind me that I would be doing this, but the woman in front of me came in late and was really affronted when I declined to shake her hand - she kept thrusting hers towards me even though I whispered that I had a cough.

Some people just don't 'get' how necessary stringent hygiene precautions are at the moment. [shakes head in exasperation]

Chewbacca Thu 12-Mar-20 12:49:52

I experienced the same thing last weekend in a local charity shop. An elderly woman came into the shop and had a really bad hacking cough. She made no attempt to cover her mouth and stood at the counter, waiting to be served, whilst coughing loudly all over the assistant and the lady stood next to her. One of the assistants offered her a tissue but it was refused! There's no helping stupid.

annodomini Thu 12-Mar-20 13:07:32

I was horribly embarrassed in a local café when a cake crumb 'went the wrong way' and made me cough. I buried my face in my sleeve while the cough subsided. I almost expected everyone to abandon their coffee and scarper! They didn't.

vampirequeen Thu 12-Mar-20 13:22:12

Perhaps the fear will make it less socially acceptable to have poor hygiene habits. Fingers crossed.