Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you treated with as a poorly child at home?

(229 Posts)
chicken Thu 12-Mar-20 15:33:33

When I wasn't well as a young child, many, many moons ago, my mother's first treatment for me was Langdale's Essence of Cinnamon in hot milk, followed by a bowl of bread and milk---crustless white bread, well buttered, cut in little cubes, boiling milk poured over it and liberally sprinkled with demerara sugar. I still like it today.

JackyB Mon 16-Mar-20 10:37:53

The only thing my Mum kept handy was the blue bag for bee stings. Or was it wasp stings?

We never had cod liver oil or any other regular, preventative "medication", but when I read the words "gripe water" above, I could summon up a taste for it. I think my sister was given it because she was very colicky as a baby.

When we had chicken pox the spots were dabbed with calamine lotion, but it wasn't used at any other time, I don't think. Germolene and Vicks were in the medicine cupboard, but hardly ever came out.

The most dominant smell I remember was of Nivea Oil which we had smeared on to us on the beach. SPF about zero, I should think. All it did was made the sand stick.

vampirequeen Mon 16-Mar-20 05:56:29

Phantom12.....that's what my mam and grandma used to say grin

Bijou Sun 15-Mar-20 14:58:55

Syrup of figs once a week. Parrishes food, cod liver oil and malt, Scott’s emulsion, vicks vapour rub. My mother used to make a jar of sliced onions in sugar syrup for colds. My daughter had golden eye ointment for styes. At the same time the cat had some type of growth in her throat and was due to be put down, I squeezed some of the eye ointment down her throat and she recovered but lost her meow!

phantom12 Sun 15-Mar-20 10:50:05

If we had a cough my mum used to give us some awful tasting medicine called Famel. She always said that the worse it tastes the more good it does you.

FindingNemo15 Sun 15-Mar-20 09:19:50

Dr. Collis Brown for stomach pains (they do not sell it now) and White Horse Oils for aching joints. Had to gargle with and swallow a soluable aspirin for a sore throat!

Kim19 Sun 15-Mar-20 09:02:57

Stemcol, Syrup of figs and Malt was cure all for this child.

Abnuyc123 Sun 15-Mar-20 00:36:28

Heinz tomato soup.

Pussycat2012 Sun 15-Mar-20 00:33:31

Rub a copper coin on a style, eat a butter ball rolled in sugar for a sore throat and good old vicks ointment rubbed on my chest for a cold. TCP was kept for cuts and grazes and it ‘was working’ if it nipped!?

Evie64 Sun 15-Mar-20 00:15:24

PS: Bowls of bread and milk to "build you up" and Peppermint oil in hot water for indigestion.

Evie64 Sun 15-Mar-20 00:10:17

Milk of Magnesium, Kaolin & Morphine, Venos cough syrup, and of course cod liver oil capsules and a spoonful of malt. A gill of milk at school and the occasional orange.

arosebyanyothername Sat 14-Mar-20 23:35:16

A kiss to make it better worked too

arosebyanyothername Sat 14-Mar-20 23:33:01

Oh and Iodine on a grazed knee ouch!!!

arosebyanyothername Sat 14-Mar-20 23:29:44

Cod Liver Oil & Malt - loved it
Calamine Lotion after a day in the sun!!
Vick rubbed into my chest & back when I had a cough or cold
Aspirin tablet crushed on a spoon with some sugar

Lupin Sat 14-Mar-20 23:03:51

Famel Syrup. It was disgusting and I can't remember why we where given it. I have a vivid memory of my mother approaching with the spoon.

GrannyLondon Sat 14-Mar-20 22:56:52

Virol. I can’t remember why I was given it, but I loved it. Oh, and Cod liver oil & malt. My Mum was always taking me to the Doctor for a tonic because I was so skinny, but he always said I was fine.

crissy Sat 14-Mar-20 22:27:09

Basilicon ointment to draw out splinters and boils. Liquafruta for coughs - loved the taste.

newnanny Sat 14-Mar-20 21:28:22

We got a Vick rub if a cold or cough, Milk of Magnesia for stomach upsets, Junior Asprins if we had any pain like an ear ache and my little sister was always small and pale looking so Mum made her have Minidex tonic which was a green/brown colour and did not smell nice. My sister hated it and i used to laugh when she was made to take it.

cupaffull Sat 14-Mar-20 20:40:22

Oh yes Olliebeak... I remember the lovely taste of the tiny orange aspirin pills. They were like sherbet and dissolved on your tongue....

cupaffull Sat 14-Mar-20 20:37:21

Orange aspirin chewing gum for sore throat, warm peppermint tea with honey. Cold flannel for feverish head. TCP and Germoline for cuts, Vicks vaporub for chesty coughs, put on chest, nightwear & in a bowl of steamy water. Calamine lotion for Measles, german measles and chickenpox, anything itchy and all 5 of us were slathered and sitting in pink bedsheets.
Mum was a farm girl and very self reliant. We never saw a doctor unless a limb broke.

olliebeak Sat 14-Mar-20 20:28:09

GLICKON'S SALVE - (bright yellow stick of something that looked like 'wax' but was more solid). It was melted and smeared onto a piece of lint then stuck onto a wound, or splinter. Hey Presto - next morning, any pus, or splinter, magically appeared embedded in the dried salve!

ANGIER'S JUNIOR ASPIRIN - orange flavoured aspirins for children to bring down temperatures and stop pain. They were 'banned' somewhere in the 70's as being 'unsuitable'. Funny that I grew up on them - two a night to combat my 'growing pains' wink.

SYRUP OF FIGS AND CABBAGE WATER - both had the same effect wink. For the treatment, or prevention, of constipation grin.

INDIAN BRANDEE - tasted a bit like 'Kaolin & Morphine' but was more liquid. Very warming for 'tummy gripes' and stopped 'the runs' shock.

CALAMINE LOTION - everybody got smeared with it whenever covered with itchy spots ie Chicken Pox; Hives; Nettle Rash.

A BOTTLE OF LUCOZADE - my dad's cousin worked at Beecham's in St. Helen's where it was manufactured, and she could get it cheap for us wink. I was still only allowed a 'small glass' a couple of times a day - and the bottle was NEVER left within my arm's reach grin.

DETTOL - was poured into a mop bucket with boiling water for mopping the lino EVERY DAY when somebody was 'contagious'. Then the air was sprayed (from one of those small spray bottles) with a dilution of Zoflora Disinfection - my Nan's preference was for the 'Carnation' fragrance one!

DETTOL was also used for bathing any cuts and grazes - along with the phrase 'this hurts because the germs are getting killed off!' ...................... no wonder I didn't go running back home each time I got a cut or graze wink.

4711 - on ONE occasion I had the most awful migraine, and thinking back, it could have been just before my very first period. My Nan brought out her '4711 Ice Stick' for me to rub on my forehead ........................... it was the most soothing thing I ever came across smile

Molli Sat 14-Mar-20 20:23:47

Germolene it was pink and rather smelly. We used to have dettol baths - probably because I spent most of the time playing in mud in the garden. Virol - 1 spoonful a day - I think it was bit like malt extract with orange taste. Later it was Haliborange for vitamin c. If I was poorly I would quite often be fed Heinz tomato soup or smoked haddock which I loved and called ‘yellow fish’. I was also allowed to play with the button tin!

Fennel Sat 14-Mar-20 20:22:46

I still use cloves to fight toothache - I've got a little jar of them and chew on one. It does help.
I haven't got many teeth left now though hmm.

live7 Sat 14-Mar-20 19:21:20

I remember in the 70's going on holiday to Devon with my family. I had terrible toothache and carried around a little bottle of Oil of Cloves and cotton wool so I could keep dabbing the tooth. Never forgotten that smell!

labazsisslowlygoingmad Sat 14-Mar-20 18:52:15

Junior Disprin crushed between two spoons then mixed with a spoonful of jam as it was so dire to take
kaolin and morphine for stomach ache my dad towards end of his days used to drink the dam stuff like water! didnt seem to do him any harm probably immune to it!
any cuts and grazes cotton wool soaked in diluted dettol love smell of that

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 14-Mar-20 18:03:37

Lion ointment left on overnight for splinters- always worked with the splinter sitting on the surface the next day. Fizzy Lemonade for gippy stomach, calamine lotion for nettle stings and insect bites. Vick lotion in boiling water as an inhalent for stuffy nose, until the day I managed to tip the boiling water all over myself and needed medical attention. Never again- to a small child the pain of the resulting large scald was indescribable.