Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(76 Posts)
12Michael Fri 13-Mar-20 06:17:46

Good Morning Everyone,
I have woken up to dry but not cloudy conditions here in Brackley this morning.
Plus its also the morning after the night before, having travelled by coach to London to see Mary Poppins , getting back around 1220 after much delayed departure due to coned off area on western avenue ,and later on M40.
The show , mind blowing with effects etc , Pet Clark was on stage doing the Bird woman role , but was in both acts ,and not just doing the related song.
Had a few beers some pubs appeared to be low in numbers based on past visits to those pubs.
There was a Wetherspoons pub called the Montegu Pyke on Charing X road near theatre, it was originally used as music venue in 80`and 90`s for the Marque Club.
Mick

Urmstongran Fri 13-Mar-20 07:53:04

I tried to post after Ginny42 but the WiFi signal was pants and I lost it. Grr!

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s another sunny day. We needed plenty of sunscreen yesterday afternoon for our walk. We bought a gardenia in memory of a dear friend from Wales who loved it out here. We asked the gardener if we could borrow a spade but he kindly did the deed for us while we watched. We chose a spot by ‘his’ bench. Happy memories on a sad day.

I feel your relief Marydoll over the cancelled tea party! Sorry to hear you’re not flying out to Spain Ginny42 but there’ll be other opportunities and you are happy with your decision.

Gosh the little parakeets are noisy in the gardens this morning! Your day up in el campo sounds great fun Mancgirl.

Hope Friday 13th is good to us all whether we have plans or none. I miss your cartoon girl gillybob but not as much as you I daresay. Let’s hope for you both she’s back soon. x

aggie Fri 13-Mar-20 07:53:38

Good Morning all from a very still and bright Co Armagh. Hoping for a quiet day here after the wind yesterday , trampolines were flying !
My Sons Fil is very poorly so it is a sad time for the family

Grammaretto Fri 13-Mar-20 07:54:55

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Looking dull outside but it has stopped raining. The ground is soggy and spongy.
Sorry about all the cancellations.
Poor DH has to put up with me all weekend as my event has been called off. My son has been told to work from home for at least a fortnight.
Strange times.
I'm glad you had such a wonderful night out Mick . Pet Clark was a child star and isn't as old as we thought!
Shame about the wretched garage Marydoll. We have a local man and his daughter who pick up the car and bring it back - except for tyres.
I had a puncture last week and had to pump up the tyre with my bicycle pump! It's a foot pump but even so it took ages.
Keep well everyone and out of mischief.

Gingster Fri 13-Mar-20 08:07:52

A beautiful bright morning from the Suffolk coast. It’s a sight to cheer us all up. Still quite breezy and chilly but great to see the sun. I was going to see Parasite today, but my friend has cried off and although DH said he would come along, I know he’s not keen. I don’t mind going alone but is it worth taking the risk? Has anyone seen the film?

NanKate Fri 13-Mar-20 08:19:35

I am inWest Sussex at present not South Bucks. I am going doolally ?

Lins1066 Fri 13-Mar-20 08:19:55

Good Morning Mick and all from a sunny S Welsh coast.
A walk later and a top up shop.
Sorry the wedding tea is cancelled Marydoll but probably for the best.
Take care of yourself dragonfly and ? for cornergran.

Kalu Fri 13-Mar-20 08:27:58

Lots of disappointment for many of us unfortunately Dragonfly but we will just have to grin and bear it although it is upsetting that you will miss out seeing your DGS on his birthday.

Knowing the 20th is your last chemo treatment must be such a relief for you and I wish you all the very best as you go from strength to strength ?

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Mar-20 08:34:41

Thank you Kalu x

BlueSapphire Fri 13-Mar-20 08:39:33

Good morning from a bright and dry Northampton. Second time of trying to post as my Wi-Fi would not connect earlier.
Went to ballet yesterday, but there were only seven of us there - all the easier for our teacher to see who was making a mess of it! I think I am the ugly duckling!
Picked up DGD from school and decided to treat ourselves and bought a bag of doughnuts! Had one each then sent the rest home with her mum.
Not making my usual trip to Sainsbury's this morning as they delivered everything on my order yesterday. Trying to cut down on unnecessary trips out. They sent four absolutely enormous carrots, so think I will get the pressure cooker out and make some soup.
May have a walk out to get some fresh air.
Wishing the best day for us all.

Greyduster Fri 13-Mar-20 08:50:02

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Another sunny day in South Yorkshire. My iron has conked out, I have an emergency trip to buy another one this morning! I also have to take back a sweater I bought from M&S yesterday - it appears to be one of their “specially for gorillas” range, as the sleeves are ridiculously long! We are childminding this evening but GS has football training before we get to settle down with him.
Corner a sad day for you. I hope all goes well.
Have the best day you can folks.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Mar-20 08:50:34

Goodm mick and all x

Pleased you enjoyed Mary Poppins Mick it is on my list for this year (hopefully CV permitting)

dragonfly'you must be relieved that 20th is your last chemo session how time flies.

Marydoll you can have a post wedding afternoon tea and laugh / talk about the wedding.

We are going up to my sisters for the weekend, which is always fun wine

It is sad that so many are having to cancel/change travel plans but our health and the health of those around us is paramount.

Keep safe folks x

MawB Fri 13-Mar-20 08:51:42

Good morning all from bright and breezy N Bucks.
Enjoying a mug of tea while opening my birthday cards and secretly relieved that nobody has thought of face-timing granny! DD did that the other morning and Otis was probably traumatised for the rest of his life. There are some things best left unseen and granny in her pj’s before she has put her face on is one of them.
Two friends are taking me to Brasserie Blanc for a birthday lunch and other than that I have no plans. The family are, I hope still coming on Sunday where we shall be celebrating not only my birthday but also SIL(10th), DD(11th) and Otis - 1 on the 17th
I haven’t cooked a Sunday lunch for a crowd for some months now so I am counting on Mr Waitrose to deliver the goods tomorrow morning.
I do feel for all of us who have had things cancelled, the disappointment gets no less as we get older, but with luck this too will pass and hopefully we will all emerge out the other side in due course,
flowersflowers flowers to us all -and a pleasant day!

conor Fri 13-Mar-20 08:51:53

Good morning from a sunny Essex. Was "advised" not to continue my school volunteering yesterday as could be classed as a vulnerable adult. Never thought of myself as that before but think the current climate may make me rethink!! Lots of future plans might need to go on hold now so my house could be very clean!! Have hair appt later today but may have the salon to myself. Hope everyone has the best day they can xxxx

gillybob Fri 13-Mar-20 08:53:37

Good morning from the NE coast where the wind has died down and the rain has stopped (for now).

Here is my “Little Friday Girl” making a brief appearance just for you Urmstongran . I do hope you have a lovely day in your beloved Malaga where everyday must feel like a Friday (my 1st best day of the week ) smile

We got news late last night that the Country 2 Country festival (we have tickets for but we’re unable to go) has been postponed . Advice was to “hang onto your tickets” as it may be rescheduled later on in the year. I can hardly believe it and admit to feeling as though fate may have played a part. We didn’t bother travelling to Glasgow as we knew we couldn’t go to the concerts but I feel so sorry for all the fans who have already travelled to Glasgow, London and Dublin to see the simultaneous shows.

I’m glad your enjoyed Mary Poppins Mick I would love to take the older grandchildren to see it as they love the theatre and Mary Poppins is one of their favourite films .

Sorry you have had to cancel your pre-wedding tea Marydoll probably a wise decision considering .

I hope you get to your little GS’s assembly Sark. I always loved seeing the little ones assemblies they used to bring (happy) tears to my eyes.

All this advice to work from home is all very well and good if you have that kind of job but my lads could hardly take a customers machine home with them and fix it in their front room could they ? The idea of closing schools is getting me worked up too. As my DD pointed out yesterday some of the older children will just hang around in shopping centres etc (as they often do in the long holidays) and the parents of younger children will be forced to take time off work which will cause huge hardship in many cases. They would be far better keeping the schools open wherever possible.

Anyway that’s enough of my ranting for today. I’m off to “that place” for half a days worth of cr*p . My eyes will be firmly in the clock and you will not see me for dust at 1pm when I will be doing my usual round of shopping with my dad then off to DD’s to start wallpapering Evie’s big girls room . Might celebrate by having a takeaway for supper tonight as I have had quite an exhausting week.

Have a good day everyone .
Love Gillybob xx

EllanVannin Fri 13-Mar-20 08:54:18

Good Morning All x
Lovely and sunny here on the Costa Mersey--we'll see if it lasts. Not too cold either. A couple of weeks of nice sunshine would do us all good and see the germs off too.

Needless to say I'll be staying put but I don't mind I'll do anything not to catch what could be life-threatening for the next 3 months. I don't want another episode like I had all through January.

Cleaned the oven yesterday so felt it was a good job done and must keep up with it after use, koff. Washing dried yesterday which I was pleased about, towels and a couple of thick jumpers. Isn't life exciting ? grin

Mick sounds as though he enjoyed himself at the theatre, well done. I like a good show. Remember seeing Miss Saigon years ago then Madame Butterfly at the Empire, Liverpool.

Marydoll, your 3 emails reminds me of my 3 bills from Scottish Power for a bill I paid a month ago ( rolls eyes ) what a waste of paper/resources. A sensible decision by the way as it's more important to remain " well " for the big day.

Stay well everyone especially those with compromised immunities, Dragonfly and Mr Gillybob in mind. Enjoy Friday 13th !

gillybob Fri 13-Mar-20 08:56:17

Happy Birthday to you MawB hope you have a lovely weekend and that the Birthday Fairies are kind to you ?????? xx

Anniebach Fri 13-Mar-20 09:00:46

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Happy Birthday Maw , have a lovely day x

Mapleleaf Fri 13-Mar-20 09:01:33

Good morning all.

It was very bright half an hour ago but is beginning to cloud over a bit now. The weather has followed a pattern here for the last few days - lovely morning, cloudy and strengthening winds in the afternoon followed by strong winds and sleety rain early evening and through the night. Hoping the cycle breaks today!

Household chores on the cards today as I've neglected some of them lately. Nothing exciting planned.

Glad to hear you had a good time, mick and enjoyed the show.

It's a shame that the tea party has had to be cancelled, marydoll, but a wise decision under the circumstances. A post wedding tea party instead, perhaps, once this dreadful virus is contained.

I hope everyone has a good day, and anyone feeling poorly or sad, take care and I hope today brings you a bit of sunshine. ☀️

Mapleleaf Fri 13-Mar-20 09:07:13

Happy birthday, maw. I was still typing when you posted. Hope you enjoy your day.
????
Lovely to see your little Friday girl, gilly and fingers crossed that you will get to see the Country 2 Country festival when it is re-scheduled.

conor Fri 13-Mar-20 09:15:48

Gillybob so good to see your little Friday girl. Really cheered me upsmilesunshinexxx

GrannySomerset Fri 13-Mar-20 09:20:54

Have wrestled DH into his clothes and am about to go to village market while we still can. Suspect it will be cancelled soon and wonder if it will ever re-open. Normal life looks very threatened and I am grateful not to be worried about commuting, school age children and job security as so many will be.

Otherwise might clean the inside of the windows - well, some of them. Yesterday’s visit for the window cleaner means my lack of attention is obvious.

Good wishes to all our sufferers, worriers and less than happy posters.

Sar53 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:21:26

A Very Happy Birthday Mawb flowers x

Kalu Fri 13-Mar-20 09:22:14

Happy Birthday Maw??
Having the family for a joint celebration will, I’m sure, be the best birthday gift. Have a wonderful day.

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:25:22

Happy Birthday Maw hope you have a wonderful day ???.

Great news about the festival Gilly fingers crossed you do get to go.

Auntieflo Fri 13-Mar-20 09:26:29

Good morning Michael, Annie, and all.
Happy Birthday Maw have a lovely day and enjoy your treats.
Marydoll, shame about the change of garage ownership. We had a similar situation when we bought our Mitsi. Part of the deal was a Free MOT For Life. Then some time down the line, the ownership changed, and this perk was no longer honoured. They get you every which way.
Wise decision to cancel you DD pre wedding party, and now put your feet up!
Glad to hear that your last chemo session is in sight Dragonfly, stay safe and well.
What a bit of luck about your concert tickets Gillybob. Hope it goes ahead next year and you both get to enjoy it. Don't overdo it with the wallpapering. I used to do ours, but can't manage it now. Evie will love her grown up, big girl's room. Really nice to see your little 'Yeah' girl today.
A little bit of shopping for me today, probably this afternoon, while DH is volunteering.
Sending best wishes to all who are poorly.
Have a good day one and all.