Gransnet forums

Chat

To use estate agent parlance "What do you call your main reception room?"

(155 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 14-Mar-20 10:48:54

Is it your lounge, parlour, living room or something else?

I have a living room.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Mar-20 12:06:06

For an amusing account of social class indicators, see Kaye Fox’s Watching the English, an anthropologist’s study of the English and their taboos, manners, speech and class consciousness.

JuliaM Sat 14-Mar-20 12:06:08

Main downstairs room is simply the 'Front room' 'Back room' is the Dining room but seldom used as one for formal sit down meals these days, as we tend to eat in the Kitchen or 'Front Room' whilst watching TV. The bedrooms are mostly known by their Colour scheme, Pink room, Blue room, Rose room, Grandads room, Grandmas room and Office, Store room, Bathroom and Ensuite! The colours have changed in some rooms, but they have still been known by the same name from when we first moved in over 20yrs ago.

grannyactivist Sat 14-Mar-20 12:07:06

You know when (or is it just me?) you write a word a lot of times quickly and then it starts to look odd?

Room is looking decidedly weird.

annsixty Sat 14-Mar-20 12:24:24

Kadinsky will be avoiding me as well.
“You can’t win em all”

LightAmber Sat 14-Mar-20 12:28:51

We call our rooms by the prominent feature that was in the room when we viewed the house. So our rooms are Parrot, Chopper (bike) Nom and Gym. Yes, there were huge letters on the dining room wall spelling out ”NOM” hmm so glad they took those with them!

MattJo Sat 14-Mar-20 12:33:26

Front room, living room, our bedroom, little bedroom and back bedroom - we keep things simple.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Mar-20 12:44:20

My ‘lounge’.

‘A rose by any other name would smell as sweet’

annsixty Sat 14-Mar-20 12:49:08

It’s lovely Jane and the sort that anyone would feel at home in.
That is of utmost importance to me.
Mine is currently untidy, I am scheduled for a hip replacement in less than 2 weeks so housework is of no interest to me.

mbmb Sat 14-Mar-20 12:49:21

Mine is the living room. I have American friends who refer to theirs as the 'great room.'

rubysong Sat 14-Mar-20 12:50:12

Sitting room.

Oldwoman70 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:52:41

Growing up it was the front room - now I call it the sitting room (it's where I sit!)

Charleygirl5 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:54:34

I also have a living room. My smallest bedroom is known as the 3rd bedroom.

As a child, being Scottish I had dinner at dinner time- 12 midday ish. We had tea at home but went out for a high tea.

M0nica Sat 14-Mar-20 12:55:41

As our house is long and one room deep, no front or back room. So living room, as already mentioned. dining hall, because it contains the front door and the dining table. It is the hall all the time and dining room when the family come, then their is the study. A book and paper filled room with a large double desk and our computers, finally the kitchen/breakfastroom.

Bedrooms are 'ours', 'spare', 'children's' and 'DD's'

Juliet27 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:55:53

janea your ‘lounge’ looks very much like mine...even the white roses(?) in the fireplace.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:59:16

The Lounge.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:00:43

When I put my last house on the market the EA asked, ""How many reception rooms?" and I felt like asking, "What the frig's a reception room?"
Just the one now (sadly) and it's the living room, I expect an EA would call it a lounge-diner.

Dinahmo Sat 14-Mar-20 13:01:49

There used to be a room known as "the rumpus room cum think tank" Not sure whether that phrase is still used.

threexnanny Sat 14-Mar-20 13:06:47

If you really want to be posh 'Garden Rooms' are popular now. Somewhere to leave your wellies?

Lilypops Sat 14-Mar-20 13:10:31

We have front room , back room ,kitchen and for want of a better name a morning room, it's always been known as that as it was on the estate agents blurb when we first bought the house 52 years ago , it's the room we come into in the morning to get to the kitchen then have our breakfast , I suppose we could call it the breakfast room but in this day and age it sounds strange, Anyone else got a Morning room ?

annep1 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:14:16

Living room/sitting room. both. Never the lounge.

annep1 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:16:04

Lovebeigecardigans When I put my last house on the market the EA asked, ""How many reception rooms?" and I felt like asking, "What the frig's a reception room?"

grin

Kandinsky Sat 14-Mar-20 13:29:08

I was being light hearted about avoiding anyone who says lounge.
I definitely wouldn’t avoid any of you as you’re all so lovely.

Lucca Sat 14-Mar-20 13:31:11

My friend just calls it The Room. Weird.

pollyperkins Sat 14-Mar-20 13:34:46

I grew up calling it a lounge (with a couch to sit on) but now have a living room and a sofa. Sitting room /settee sound posh to me - but not as much as drawing room. And we still eat tea (main evening meal) and I also have a 3 piece suite! Northern roots!

Iam64 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:44:09

sitting room or living room.