Gransnet forums

Chat

strong gusty winds

(8 Posts)
Fennel Sat 14-Mar-20 20:57:25

Any weather experts on here who can explain these days of sudden gusty winds . Which we have been having here in the NE over the last 2 months.
I find them frightening as my sense of balance isn't that good.
I try to go out every morning for exercise and see that more is expected for tomorrow:
www.wunderground.com/forecast/gb/newcastle-upon-tyne/54.98,-1.61
One day last week the wind caused me to fall, luckily just grazed knees.

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Mar-20 21:13:04

Is it possible for you to buy some Nordic walking poles? They're very useful.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Mar-20 21:55:30

Fennel, I find the wind, especially those sudden gusts quite disorientating and feel that they could throw me off-balance too so now I don't go out in them if I don't have to.

Fennel Sun 15-Mar-20 15:19:30

Thanks for he replies - I braved the wind this morning as I just HAD to get out!
What I really wanted to know is what is causing this type of windy weather. Is it normal? I know they say March, in like a lion etc, but I don't remember these periods of calm, then sudden violent gusts that can knock you over.

Fennel Sun 15-Mar-20 15:20:44

ps plus - this has been going on since well before March.

Fran3669 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:33:30

Fennel we live on the NE coast and, I agree, it seems to have been especially windy this winter. Just take extra care as the sudden gusts can be really strong.

GagaJo Sun 15-Mar-20 16:05:50

My bloke has lived in the NE his whole life. As long as I've known him he has always moaned about the winds up North.

Fran3669 Sun 15-Mar-20 23:30:42

GagaJo I’m originally from the Midlands and I’ve never got used to how windy it is up here. My hair is constantly tangled as, even in the height of summer, there’s always a breeze!