Gransnet forums

Chat

How can you tell when someone is over 70?

(31 Posts)
M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 10:57:31

DH, aged 77, went for a hair cut last week. When he (and the man in the chair next door) reached the till, each was asked whether they were over 65. DH said 'yes', the other guy said 'No, only 62'. DH had assumed from looking at the other man that he was the older.

So how will they know how old we are? Looks are no guide. Will everyone have to carry passports or birth certificates and have to present them at the till. If we are out and are found out, what will they do? Put us in prison? confused

AGAA4 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:42:16

I think the main reason for isolating us over 70s is as we are more likely to become very ill, especially those of us who have underlying health problems, then many of us would take up the limited resources of the NHS.

tessagee Sun 15-Mar-20 17:21:34

Regarding the questions on this and other posts as to how this matter of isolating us 'older' people would be enforced, I note that in Madrid today the powers-that-be are' buzzing' pedestrians, using drones equipped with loudspeakers warning them to get off the streets. Looked really sinister.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 18:40:18

How weak and ill will we become if we cannot leave the house for any period? Escpecially those cooped up in little inner city flats.

I think locking us up would lead to a rise in suicides and mental health problems, not to mention any illnesses people have getting worse due to the lack of company, fresh air and exercise.

Daisymae Sun 15-Mar-20 19:37:54

My husband is over 70 but I am not. I do everything that needs to be done including walking the dog. It occurred to me that I would be quite upset if I were challenged should we be confined to barracks. I don't have any intention of going anywhere apart from the chemist for meds, which I think is the place where sick people will gather........

BlueSapphire Sun 15-Mar-20 19:58:05

I'm going to have to go out, unless DD/DS can do a shop for me and collect my medication. Just been on the Sainsbury's online shopping site and every slot is booked for the next three weeks. Luckily I do have one reserved for this week, but after that nothing. Shall revisit my order..... Will need more catfood, (and wine!).