Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do if you are staying in!

(25 Posts)
trisher Sun 15-Mar-20 11:16:56

If you are doing something, watching something or reading something while you are in the house avoiding the virus please post what it is. Maybe someone will find something to keep them busy and pass the time.
I'm reading Belgravia by Julian Fellowes (Posh Catherine Cookson!)
I watched Manchester by the Sea (on i-player, very good but real tearjerker)
I'm going to start crotcheting again.

eazybee Sun 15-Mar-20 11:36:44

OU study; tutorials suspended.
Sorting out my 'study', (smallest bedroom with many books and files.)
Re-organising spare bedroom.
The Garden!
Reading : 'The Mirror and the Light.' Wonderful.
Read already next month's book for Book Group.; first time ever.Then all the books on my bookshelves I mean to read.
Drawing and water-colour painting, class suspended.
Need to paint garage door and frame when rain stops.
long walks and fresh air in open countryside. Will this be suspended as well?
Lots and lots and lots of housework jobs and paperwork. (at bottom of list)
Will four months be enough?

J52 Sun 15-Mar-20 12:16:20

Save money! ?

Grammaretto Sun 15-Mar-20 12:29:34

I have been knitting, watching TV, listening to the radio and on here. I am often alone on a Sunday afternoon so this is not new but somehow the enforced isolation is tricky.
Thanks for the tips.
Not spending money J52 how does that work?. I can spend loads on-line.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Mar-20 12:34:28

Trisher, first episode of Belgravia tonight ITV @ 9pm.

craftyone Sun 15-Mar-20 12:35:31

the new garden, seed sowing, making a potager and tending 4 vegtrugsand other tubs, wanting to be self sufficient by end of summer

I have a house to spring clean, on a wet day

loads to read

loads of dvds

cycling in my living room

Spinning, I have a huge fibre stash

knitting

wood carving and sharpening gouges

maybe sewing if I have time

Will be trying not to spend too much time on the internet

I think this is a brilliant idea for a thread, to help people get through the potential boredom. Its a long time to be in for the over 70s

loopyloo Sun 15-Mar-20 12:39:14

I wonder if this will be a boost to the diy sector. Certainly, Homebase was busy yesterday afternoon.
Inside I am doing a fiendish jigsaw of the Great Wave. It's going to take years. Lots of white sky and foamy sea.
Have started Wolf Hall as had not yet read it!
I might buy potatoes and plant them. And other things as well.

Thingmajig Sun 15-Mar-20 12:43:34

I'm not over 70 but am diabetic so we'll be staying home more than normal ... probably still having the grands after nursery/school as long as they stay open too.
DH is hoping for some better (drier!) weather so that he can while away his time in the garden. I knit and make cards so can easily occupy myself with that ... also bought a diamond painting kits a few weeks ago so could make a start on that. Then there are books needing read.
Plenty to do really (before resorting to housework!!!) but if it's a forced and long term isolation it might get to feel like imprisonment and then it becomes very tough I imagine.

EMMF1948 Sun 15-Mar-20 12:43:43

All those things I have recorded and never watched, Wolf Hall, Montelbano, War and Peace etc an.d I will rewatch The West Wing. The garden will be lovely with all the time I will be able to spend on it.

Ngaio1 Sun 15-Mar-20 12:44:11

I hope to be able to walk around my village still but am preparing an exercise routine for indoors if that is forbidden. Reading, baking , sewing and doing the myriad things that have (conveniently) been pushed to one time.

Ngaio1 Sun 15-Mar-20 12:44:42

One side, even!

Ellianne Sun 15-Mar-20 12:46:21

Great ideas. Thank you. A mixture of activities here for both practical and cerebral types.

trisher Sun 15-Mar-20 12:47:48

craftyone I now have a mental picture of you going round and round your living room on a bike!! grin I know it's silly but now I can't get rid of it!
loopyloo Love Wolf Hall. The latest book is out but only in hardack and it's £25 I'll have to wait for the paperback.

GrandmasueUK Sun 15-Mar-20 12:50:30

I've got plenty books TBR. Watercolours to paint. Netflix to binge watch if I want to. I can recommend Offspring, an Australian comedy/drama series. I've got a big box of photos to go through, scan and put into albums. Time to go through recipe books and make tasty meals.

varian Sun 15-Mar-20 12:52:14

I think one of the best things we can do is to phone all our friends who live alone, just for a chat. It must be so much more difficult to self isolate on your own.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 15-Mar-20 12:53:49

I have lots of jigsaws, books, DVDs, Netflix and Amazon on the telly, rooms to sort and clean .
We are going to plant some seeds for veg for the Summer.

Family tree, maybe you could take advantage of a special offer of a free month?

My DD is teaching herself to crochet with YouTube.

trisher Sun 15-Mar-20 12:59:05

GrandmasueUK Thanks for your idea. I shall have to dig out the box of photos I've been meaning to sort for ages.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Mar-20 13:04:15

It depends on my mood

I am just starting the Hilary Mantel trilogy. Absolutely love her writing

I paint watercolour and botanicals

I am obsessive about my garden

I am making two advent wreaths for my offspring

I knit baby blankets and clothes for the local food bank..

I can happily sit and watch a whole series or good film on tv

Radio is good at times.

There are lots of free courses including OU. Haven’t had time lately though.

Will also be walking on the South Downs in splendid isolation. This year I’m taking my camera and recording as much flora and fauna as I can.

Internet of course.

And when the sun finally comes out relaxing in the garden with a book and Pimms?

threexnanny Sun 15-Mar-20 13:09:24

Yes, I was thinking of doing more to the family tree too OOPSADAISY. We aren't over 70 but a lot of friends are so we won't be seeing so much of everyone.
I think it could be time to clear the loft that we've been meaning to do for ages.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 15-Mar-20 13:14:43

Just everybody be sensible, no climbing onto things to get into lofts, no climbing ladders to do things that really should be done by tradesmen, who can’t come in for a while.

Just wait until the world gets back to normal, don’t risk hurting yourself , the last place you want to be is in A & E.

Grammaretto Sun 15-Mar-20 13:37:45

How do I get DH to stay home?
He just refuses to despite being over 70, diabetic, high bp and having medical treatment.
He thinks the whole world is overreacting. I am seriously worried about him.

trisher Sun 15-Mar-20 13:50:46

See if you can persuade him to make his trips out as safe as possible Grammaretto so use the car, not public transport, walk or cycle, go when things are quiet if you have to shop, use contactless card if you have one. When you get home remove outer garments and put away, wash hands.
Good luck, you will need it!!!
You could try taking out your wills and making sure he notices you! (sorry)

rowyn Sun 15-Mar-20 14:42:42

One outlet is to do surveys online. Lifepoints, YouGov.uk and Ipsos i-Say are all sites where you can answer surveys and earn points.
It takes quite a long time to build up points but at the moment I have points sitting in one of these sites worth £50 on Amazon. I just consider that a bonus, as, whilst some surveys are utterly boring and repetitive , others can be quite interesting.

MiniMoon Sun 15-Mar-20 15:47:19

I'm 68, so not in the extremely high risk age, but I am being cautious. DH is nearly 69 and still working. He does early morning cleaning. He won't stay at home, but does wash his hands when he comes in. I have some dettol spray fro the door handles and have been cleaning them after DH comes I from work.

Getting back to the question, I have loads of wool, so have been looking for crochet patterns.
I read and play games on my tablet.
I can always find ways to occupy myself, and never get bored.

NotAGran55 Sun 15-Mar-20 16:33:22

I’m not staying in , but if I did I would bake bread , sort out all my boring paperwork , sort out a lifetime of photos , paint my utility room , run up and down stairs to keep fit , listen to audiobooks whilst doing stuff , watch daytime TV possibly as I never do it , clean my car myself for the first time in years , give myself a manicure and pedicure , listen to music, ring some friends , buy stuff on the internet that I don’t need , plan a holiday for when it is safe again , chat on-line on with like minded people who I share 2 hobbies with , dream about seeing my football team play again... etc

Instead I will go to work , go shopping for my family and a older friend and carry on with my life as usual and wait ...