Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever played the 'age' card?

(9 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 16-Mar-20 13:26:11

My mam did the other day in Morrisons. It started unintentionally when she was told she'd pushed in the queue at the till. She asked where the end of the queue was and it was half way down the aisle with about 30 people waiting. She was going to go to the back but in conversation said to the young woman, "Oh my, is it Christmas already?" Meaning you only see queues like that at that time of year. However the young woman and others in the queue who had heard her gave her the 'poor dear she's confused look' and stepped back to let her in. So she paid for her two items and left the shop before anyone realises that she is totally compos mentis .

sodapop Mon 16-Mar-20 16:00:28

Love it vampirequeen smile your Mum sounds like a great woman.

AGAA4 Mon 16-Mar-20 16:15:06

Will have to try that one!

EllanVannin Mon 16-Mar-20 16:32:37

That's a good one grin

Alishka Mon 16-Mar-20 17:34:05

gringringrin

Grannyjay Mon 16-Mar-20 17:44:23

Great!

Dinahmo Mon 16-Mar-20 18:15:13

On the day I turned 60 we went to an exhibition at the Barbican and I noticed that 60 pluses could get in at half price.
I didn't have any idea but said it was my birthday and the girl on the till kindly let me in for the reduced price.

CherryCezzy Mon 16-Mar-20 19:05:26

Brilliant Mam!
Only 'age' card I 've ever played was when I was too young to go clubbing or to the cinema to see films I was too young to see. Does that count...?

vampirequeen Tue 17-Mar-20 14:17:39

Usually it drives her mad if people treat her as 'being old' but this time the queue was so long she thought, "Why not." grin