Gransnet forums

Chat

We all speak English but we don't all speak the same language

(35 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 16-Mar-20 13:34:55

I have a friend in South Africa and most of the time we understand each other. Then one of us (usually me) will say something that means absolutely nothing to the other. I was recently talking about having had a picnic in the car. She was flummoxed by this. To her a picnic is eaten whilst sitting on the grass or beach with the sun beating down. She couldn't imagine why we'd picnic in the car. So I pointed out that if you tried to sit outside when it's pouring with rain you'd end up with soggy sandwiches. This confused her even more. Why would we go out to picnic in the rain? Well we don't necessarily go out planning to picnic in the rain. In fact it may be lovely and sunny when we leave home but British weather being what it is we never know what it will be like by dinner time. If we waited for guaranteed warm sunny days we'd hardly ever go out grin

grumppa Tue 17-Mar-20 16:53:41

I think Americans say yardwork for gardening.

Urmstongran Tue 17-Mar-20 15:20:28

Last summer out here in Spain I was in the lift. I was joined by a Spanish man. In the quiet of the lift space together I felt the need to break the silence as we descended (note to self ‘keep quiet woman’). I wafted by my face with my hands and said ‘caliente’ meaning it’s hot. He seemed very embarrassed and said nothing. We got out of the lift.

It played on my mind so later I asked a friend if I’d said something wrong? She giggled and said ‘caliente’ would be if you sipped your coffee and wanted to say ‘it’s hot’. The other meaning was ‘sexy’. Oh god, I’d just told a man in the lift I was hot‼️

If it’s about the weather she told me I ought to have said ‘hace color’.

??

vampirequeen Tue 17-Mar-20 14:14:39

In South Africa, BBQ is a crisp flavour. A BBQ is a braai.

vampirequeen Tue 17-Mar-20 14:13:39

I smirked too lol

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 00:05:53

Skidmarks.
I'm ashamed to say I can't utter that word without smirking.

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:04:14

Under?wear ??

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:01:50

In the US the skids are the undesirable/ poor areas.
In some parts of the UK it refers to marks in underwear.

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 23:59:51

Oh, what a good thing I don't use it regularly now.
Although I might have done!

It means courageous, determined. Full of spunk - adventurous etc.

I do dislike it when words get taken over by modernists who change the meanings

#oldfuddyduddy

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Mar-20 23:58:55

Yes. We did Callistemon and yes, the crude word is bad taste...no pun intended.

MissAdventure Mon 16-Mar-20 23:44:40

Well, I know a much cruder meaning for that word.

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 23:40:21

Artdecogran I am sure we used the term 'spunky' when I was young - meaning someone full of spirit (not the alcoholic type!).

M0nica Mon 16-Mar-20 22:33:07

Sme years ago I worked with an Australian girl who always referred to sticky tape as 'Durex' which was the standard brand over there. We took her aside explained the problem. In a predominantly male office, she had been wondering why she kept getting these funny looks.

Shrub Mon 16-Mar-20 22:31:10

When I went to live in the US with a school aged son, other British residents told me to make sure I called rubbers 'erasers'. It worked cos I still use the word.

Artdecogran Mon 16-Mar-20 22:27:26

Was watching an American cop programme and the witness was said to be full of spunk ?

Bathsheba Mon 16-Mar-20 22:22:42

American women carry wallets (purses) in their purses (handbags). It gets very confusing!

Bathsheba Mon 16-Mar-20 22:20:33

Both the US and Australia can refer to quite sizeable outside areas as "the back yard" which kind of conjures up Coronation Street over here.

What I want to know is this: if we do gardening in our gardens, do the Americans and Aussies do yarding in their yards? grin

Marmight Mon 16-Mar-20 19:58:01

My Aussie GC wear their ‘pants’ on the outside and their ‘undies‘ underneath. Also thongs on their feet as mentioned before. They eat chips from a packet and fries from the chip shop. Lollies are sweets and ice poles are (ice) lollies. Life can be very confusing when interacting with them!

TerriBull Mon 16-Mar-20 19:05:53

I did find out what "bangs" are recently (hair related) just a simple fringe, how they came up with that one heaven knows!

TerriBull Mon 16-Mar-20 18:56:42

Definitely don't get a lot of what goes on in the US, the number of cars we saw with a sticker "I'm a soccer mom" or "I'm a baseball/ hockey/whatever mom" was utterly baffling to me, just why would you want to drive around with such a declaration confused I've never worked out what "A Homecoming Queen" is either, but sounds like a load of bollocks a bit daft

Both the US and Australia can refer to quite sizeable outside areas as "the back yard" which kind of conjures up Coronation Street over here.

lemongrove Mon 16-Mar-20 18:43:20

When in the US, never say ‘ I’m dying for a fag’ ?

vampirequeen Mon 16-Mar-20 18:35:52

I'm loving these.

sodapop Mon 16-Mar-20 15:55:43

Tampons here in France too Bathsheba as are Brillo pads. Our postman had a problem with his ear and said he had a tampon in it, I had visions of a string hanging out of his ear smile

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 15:12:41

Would you like a yoggut, DGS?
No, Granny, it's a Yoe gut

timetogo2016 Mon 16-Mar-20 15:07:58

OMG love this thread.
Can`t stop laughing and reading them out to DH.
Well done gransneters especially at this time of our lives.

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 14:51:31

A friend we stayed with in NZ was a bit put out when I referred to her home as a lovely bungalow.
It's a house! Even though it is one storey.

A bungalow is a tiny cottage, apparently.