Gransnet forums

Chat

Library Books.

(29 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 17-Mar-20 11:07:52

What does anyone think about library books and the CV? I wash my hands before and after reading, and have a few books to be going on with, as I suspect the libraries may close before too long. One book I took out last week smelled strongly of smoke, yuk! I put it outside in the fresh air for a while. Made me think of how many hands touch them. ??

Lizbethann55 Fri 20-Mar-20 14:51:32

We have just heard this morning that ours are due to close from Sunday. But as only one is open on Sunday that really means from 1.00pm tomorrow. I do hope it's not for long. I love my job and will miss all my regulars.

Dec46 Thu 19-Mar-20 23:18:10

My local library will close saturday until May 31st at the earliest.It will be greatly missed here although I don't think it would be sensible for it to stay open until everything is more stable.

yellowcanary Thu 19-Mar-20 22:20:21

The libraries have closed here as well - I still have several books on loan, use Borrowbox occasionally. I do use Kindle Unlimited (although cancelled at moment) and also about to recommence Readly which gives access to hundreds of magazines for around £9 per month (I think it is only tablets or phones though not laptops) which considering the various prices of magazines is well worth it. Plus I have my own library of books which I add to regularly but never seem to read smile smile I used to use Audiobooks but tended to fall asleep while listening, so now use my Alexa to read them while I am doing various jobs round the house.

Lizbethann55 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:49:58

Where do those of you live that have had libraries close? I work in a library and we are still open. I am pretty sure that they will close soon but we haven't heard anything yet. We have extended the loan period to six weeks and our borrowers can take out up to 30 books! ( if they can carry them!). I know our regulars are dreading the inevitable as we are a regular and friendly meeting point . We are trying to keep everything as clean as we can. Borrowbox is very good for anyone who is registered as a library user. All you need is your membership number and pin number. Personally, I hate reading off a screen and prefer a proper paper book. I am well stocked up for when we do close.

tanith Thu 19-Mar-20 14:06:41

Our libraries are now closed too.

oscaro11 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:57:42

Thank you Rosepaul for recommending OverDrive. I’ve signed up and am now reading! I didn’t know of this until it was mentioned on here and I’m most grateful!

kittylester Thu 19-Mar-20 09:29:07

Community run libraries round here are shut now.

Witzend Thu 19-Mar-20 07:27:58

I still love proper books, but only if they’re not too fat and heavy (The Mirror And The Light is a prime example!) or if the font is very small.

For anything like that, I love my Kindle.

Calendargirl Wed 18-Mar-20 16:10:25

Floradora

What area of the country are you in?

Floradora9 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:40:47

Well we no longer have to worry about this as all our libraries closed to-day . DH rushed down and brought home a strange selection of books but I will never run out of books to read as I have my Kindle . He has my old one but still prefers a proper book .

JuliaM Tue 17-Mar-20 23:30:47

Although l have never tried this myself, freezing a book will kill off any bugs or insect larvae that may be living within their pages. This was something that the guide told us as we were exploring a National trust property with an extensive libary.

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 23:16:41

A few months ago I bought 2 charity shop John Grisham books that I couldn't get in Amazon and took them back the same day.
"My my, that was quick" remarked the assistant.
"They're full of cat hairs" said I. Eugh!
I sanitise the books from Amazon which are usually virtually new.
Kindles may be handier, being loaded with several in one place but IMO, nothing beats a proper book.

tessagee Tue 17-Mar-20 17:42:40

FloraDora thank you for the hint about Kindle Unlimited. I've been wondering how to cope with not being able to go to our local good library. I read two to three books each week, am not much of a TV watcher, so will definitely look into this.

tanith Tue 17-Mar-20 16:22:16

I borrow from the library but digital books now, downloaded onto my kindle app on my iPad.

Sparklefizz Tue 17-Mar-20 16:20:48

I am disinfecting my library books with Zoflora disinfectant as soon as I get them home.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:19:28

Just leave all books etc. In a bag for 72 hours , I think that would be plenty of time for any bugs to go. They should be as safe as usual after that.

Floradora9 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:12:55

If you have a kindle join amazon's Kindle Unlimited. It is only £8 a month and you get a large range of books to choose from. I have never got past the biographies as there are so many good ones. I think our library will close soon .
I love the magazines I can borrow from our library they come automatically every week or month and I read magazines I would never buy . I can even get a TV listings one.

Oldbat1 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:47:05

Rosepaul I’ve just looked at Overdrive - unfortunately seems nothing at all in my part of country but BorrowBox well supported.

Oldbat1 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:40:05

I use Borrowbox which has ebooks and listening books. This is via local library service. It also has magazines on line which I don’t find easy to read unfortunately.

Calendargirl Tue 17-Mar-20 15:34:00

Good idea Ninathenana

TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Mar-20 11:42:56

Always wash my hands before I read my library books and after in fact spend loads of time washing my hands throughout the day, but I do think it’s not just library books what about money. Newspapers etc could go on forever

ninathenana Tue 17-Mar-20 11:31:52

Thanks for that Rosepaul

Lucca Tue 17-Mar-20 11:26:28

My friend does home library service and is in a quandary as he is rather vulnerable too but can’t bear to think of the housebound people who rely on this so think he’s going to leave books at doors and wipe all books with dettol wipes

Rosepaul Tue 17-Mar-20 11:25:40

Not sure if you ladies are aware but there is a library app called Overdrive which enables you to borrow up to ten books downloaded on to your kindle. The choice can sometimes be a bit limiting but I use it all the time. With some of us having to self isolate maybe useful to some people.

Charleygirl5 Tue 17-Mar-20 11:24:00

If book shops close down, which I think they will end up doing- may I suggest you do what I have been doing and that is buying second hand books on eBay. They have been so cheap- I only buy when p&p is free and the condition has been excellent. If you buy from a company they will tell you the condition of the book. Well worth a look.