Gransnet forums

Chat

Confused.Com coronavirus

(80 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Mar-20 12:58:44

Just had this come info come through to my iPad regarding the Coronavirus don’t deep clean your home, Don’t use cash Don’t share toothpaste Don’t bother wearing a mask , Do shop online, Do keep your distance Do rotate coats and shoes Do limit the use of public transport, I will be doing what I’ve always done.being sensible, not taking silly risks, and hopefully we will come through unscathed

Greeneyedgirl Mon 23-Mar-20 16:18:40

Don't worry Callistemon I'm a feisty 70 yr old, and think I am a match for rogues.

We are socially distancing, but not isolating, and I am going in the car once a week to shop during the protected time. OH is on crutches after hip op.

He is just walking up and down our cul de sac without engaging anyone for daily exercise. Told him he could use the lawn mower as a zimmer and cut the grass but he wasn't keen. grin

Callistemon Mon 23-Mar-20 17:26:04

That sounds like a brilliant idea, he needs to exercise grin

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:33:01

Well, we're on lockdown now...

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:35:27

Masks are only for those who HAVE C-19, they're no protection for those who seek to prevent getting it from others. It's a well known fact.

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:40:36

I simply wash my hands thoroughly with a nail brush and soap for about 30 secs or more then wash my face with soap and fresh water, first thing after letting my jacket and gloves drop on the floor.

sukie Mon 23-Mar-20 21:54:23

Can someone please explain to me why they would advise NOT to deep clean your home. I understand the reasoning behind all the others listed in the OP's post. I can be dim.

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 08:27:50

Gabriella there is more than one reason for wearing a mask when out. When you are in doing essential shopping it reduces the number of times you touch your face - and it is the hand/face contact that transfers the virus. If you sneeze or cough - and I so sneeze quite a bit, it stops the aerosol spray from your mouth and nose reaching other people and at the same time stops you coughing into a glove and having to stop mid shop to take one pair of gloves off and put another pair on (assuming you have a secnd pair in the shop with you). It also gives you protection if someone in close proximity (despite the distance regulations) sneezes or coughs near you. (you know what some male sneezes are like).

It is a constant reminder of the need for eternal vigilance.

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 08:42:39

My day's outing will consist of borrowing my friend's horse and riding to a farm to collect eggs, butter, a home-made quiche some salad greens and home-made lemon curd, thus killing 2 birds with one stone.
I shall have a good hour long ride before collecting my parcel of goodies then a gentle trot back to stables. Wash him down and settle him in the field before walking home across the fields.

Maybe this will become my new routine. ??

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 08:51:17

Understood M0nica ?
I prefer not to wear one as I'm quite able to not touch my face (clip my hair back so it doesn't blow in my face) and don't sneeze or cough unless unwell, which I am not.

I do however understand the reasons why you feel it necessary for yourself.

As I don't plan to be meeting anyone there will be no chance of a sneeze coming my way from others...except a horse and that doesn't count. ?
Stay safe, stay clear and stay well is my mantra. ?

Shrub Tue 24-Mar-20 08:53:08

Lucky you GabriellaG54. How you do boast!

Pikachu Tue 24-Mar-20 08:54:09

Monica I agree. The only logic behind not wearing a mask is having a run on them at the expense of the NHS. It seems logical that any barrier you can put - even if only mildly effective- between you and droplet infection is worth considering. Likewise with gloves,

Just a bit of joined up thinking about removing, binning or washing them (the gloves obviously)

Pikachu Tue 24-Mar-20 08:55:11

Shrub I think I’ll borrow my friend’s pet llama and do the same!

aggie Tue 24-Mar-20 08:55:51

Shrub ??

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 09:46:28

Gabriella if you shop, and I appreciate you may be doing all your shopping online, you are out of the house in a situation, where, cordon sanitaire or no cordon sanitaire, someone round you can sneeze or cough and coughing spreads droplets as far as six metres, and sneezing as much as eight metres. These droplets stay suspended in the air for up to 10 minutes.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 24-Mar-20 10:04:54

Shrub why on earth do you call out GabriellaG54 for boasting, she is merely saying what she is doing! Is the green eyed monster biting your backside this am?

nightowl Tue 24-Mar-20 10:53:20

I suggest that anyone considering riding horses should read the BHS guidance published this morning (and keep an eye on it as it will probably evolve as time goes on). Current thinking is to be sensible and not take part in an activity that is potentially dangerous and could put a strain on our immensely stretched health services. Current guidance:

We are getting a lot of questions in relation to riding your horse, for which there are no specific government guidelines at present. We advise that it is not appropriate to put unnecessary pressure on the emergency services and everyone should make their own individual decision as to whether riding is necessary at this time.

Greymar Tue 24-Mar-20 11:01:08

My days outing will be borrowing a friends daughters' scooter, going to Aldi ,paying the homeless person who sits outside £2.00 to guard the scooter. I will then pick up some reconstituted Romanian cornbeef, a packet of Sparkepops and a wine box ( produced in several European countries).

Back to base camp, bags hanging off the handles, I will open a few cans and keep the scooter.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 20:04:49

Make sure to wear your hard hat.

Greymar Tue 24-Mar-20 21:07:39

Oh no, is it rather boring out there in the bush?

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:26:10

M0nica
I totally agree with wearing a mask (if you can find any) if necessary but we the public have been told that any old mask of the sort we are able to buy, just doesn't cut it.
They are too permeable to keep out the C-19 virus, therefore it's a waste of time and money.
Of course. if you know that that statement is incorrect (and it was from a government medical source) then I'm very happy to apologise on here.
I have shopped in a shop once since coming back from holiday. That was in Waitrose at 07.30 and there were 2 other shoppers.
I whizzed in and out with a 'plastic' glove ?on, used the self service tills and tapped my card with the ungloved hand.
Today, I collected a pre-ordered box from a friend's local farm. I was riding a ? and the friend was indoors. Didn't see her.
BTW, I have never and would never do online supermarket shopping.
I like to choose my own stuff and can carry quite a lot in a backpack ?and two carrier bags ?️ It's good for helping prevent osteoporosis...carrying weights, that is. ?️?
I do see the sense in taking precautions and I am assiduous in washing my hands after shopping etc but with no underlying health probs and being lucky enough to live near several stores which have elderly hours, I won't be resorting to masks or spending time with anyone bar myself for as long as this situation lasts.
MOnica, I know you are saying these things because you are anxious and care about the health of yourself, family and others. Be assured, I care about myself too much to act carelessly. ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:30:42

nightowl
Gordon Bennett!
I've ridden horses for years and not about to stop now. Never had an accident yet nor been to A&E ever in my life (75+)
Some of my children have horses and are in the racing and horse transport industry. They won't be stopping any time soon either.

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:32:08

...and they have private healthcare.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 22:32:47

Gabriella
I am astonished that you hade to borrow a horse.
Do you not keep your own thoroughbred in your stables or even at livery?

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 22:33:36

Some of you are really dreadful.
Borrowing a horse is nothing. What's more expensive, a car or a horse anyway?

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 22:34:15

A horse