Gransnet forums

Chat

For goodness sake!

(21 Posts)
Tweedle24 Tue 17-Mar-20 17:04:30

Please connect with Patient Access and take the advice it is offering. I decided yesterday to isolate as I am 76 and asthmatic. Apart from my own health, I do not wish to be responsible for spreading it any further.

It must be serious when the churches are suspending all services as from today,

Mammie Tue 17-Mar-20 16:58:38

And we accuse young people of being irresponsible!
Hair cuts are selfish, Selfish, SELFISH. Coronavirus is breathed out my someone infected and can hang in the air for days so even if you are "yards apart" antibacterial gel will not help when you breath it in!

AGAA4 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:54:54

I decided hairdressing could be risky as the stylist has to be very close. People can have the virus and not know so unless the hairdresser was the requisite 2 metres away while cutting hair then the virus could be passed on.

SalsaQueen Tue 17-Mar-20 16:54:40

Some of us still have to go to work (I'm 61), do our shopping (no home delivery slots from Asda for a week), and see our grandchildren. I'm not changing MY life just yet, thanks.

NfkDumpling Tue 17-Mar-20 16:53:08

I kept my dental appointment this morning, but I live in Norfolk and it’s only just reaching here and it was an essential treatment.

It is noticeable that people are still out and about, but are keeping their distances and being sensible. We’re avoiding going out at school times and rush hours - not that there’s much of a rush here!

My DD2 has to go to work - by bus. There were only two other people on her bus this morning when it’s usually standing room only.

I think most people are being sensible and working things out according to their own situations. The selfish few that take the carry on regardless attitude won’t really have too much effect - provided they don’t stand too close to me when they’ll get short shrift!

H1954 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:53:01

And while you're safely ensconced in your safe little bubble STOP expecting neighbours with underlying health problems to pop into your house to do jobs that can wait a few weeks and for heavens sake use a bloody recipe book for once in your life! It's a slow cooker not rocket science!

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Mar-20 16:51:38

However all things in balance. We need to exercise - a daily walk of a few miles keeping well away from others will be my routine. If people stay literally inside for 3 months they will become unfit , maybe putting on weight, and have low vitamin D's and risk osteoporosis.

AGAA4 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:46:47

I am still seeing people out and about and having friends to visit. What part of social distancing don't they understand. It is annoying for those of us, who are self isolating. Everyone needs to comply or it wont work.

Dinahmo Tue 17-Mar-20 16:45:28

I'm shocked at the attitudes of some who think that they can carry on much as usual (if that's possible) . This virus can be caught by people who do not have any symptoms and therefore may not know that they have it. They could be passing it on to people more vulnerable than themselves.

rowyn Tue 17-Mar-20 16:44:22

WOW. Must be downright irresponsible and selfish. Had a hair cut this morning. 2 people in shop , yards apart. Antibacterial gel available and used. Hardly a social gathering. Much less dangerous than shopping. Please do not allow the internet to make you get all of this out of proportion. Choose which reports you trust, Very carefully.

ananimous Tue 17-Mar-20 16:37:28

It's not as if we have to survive hidden like Anne Frank did.

ananimous Tue 17-Mar-20 16:35:46

The world death toll is going to be more massive than in our living memory.

Please take it seriously - the silent killer is here.

Mammie Tue 17-Mar-20 16:34:54

Of course food shopping has to be done. But a hair trim is downright irresponsible and selfish.

Joelsnan Tue 17-Mar-20 16:34:08

EllanVannin
It’s not just your life is it. Just consider you got the virus, the probability is that you would get it worse than someone younger. You may need admitting to hospital and may even need an ICU bed. This may be the last ICU bed as the others are filled with oldies with the same mindset as you.
A young father is involved in a RTA and needs an urgent ICU bed, but none are available so he sadly dies leaving a wife and children.
But, that is irrelevant as its your life.

AGAA4 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:31:47

Yes Grandma. I was beginning to wonder if I had got it wrong,
as some people are still visiting and having visitors.

If you live alone you still have to buy food and online shopping is fully booked for weeks so a quick visit to the shop is necessary now and again.

MawB Tue 17-Mar-20 16:31:39

No EllenVannin it is not- you have a responsibility to,your family and to your friends, to neighbours and the wider society, you have a responsibility to not form part of the chain of infection which currently threatens us all and indeed our NHS.

Mammie Tue 17-Mar-20 16:29:47

EllanVannin

I have never heard anything so selfish in my life!

Luckygirl Tue 17-Mar-20 16:29:38

Just heard from a friend whose OH thinks it is all nonsense and has no intention of isolating himself.

These are the people who will blow the guidance apart.

Mammie Tue 17-Mar-20 16:27:49

I totally agree. Please stop and think before you venture out. Is this trip vital? if the answer is no Stay Home.

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 16:26:51

I wouldn't dream of changing a thing.
This is my life anyway !

Grandmaclampet Tue 17-Mar-20 16:19:54

It beggars belief that people are still not listening to what at the moment is advice to stop unnecessary social interactions.
What we are seeing the moment is just the tip of the iceberg.
PLEASE STAY HOME
You do not need your hair done!
You will have to manage without Mothers Day lunch with family.
Stop minding grandchildren its not safe.
No pubs and restaurants.
Do you really need to go the local shop?
The NHS will be over run as it is without all the old people who do not have to go out catching the virus and adding to the burden.
Yes it will be horrible but it will be horrendous if we do not slow down this potentially fatal virus.