Gransnet forums

Chat

Draconian ?

(25 Posts)
sodapop Tue 17-Mar-20 17:35:59

I think its been mentioned already that things have escalated here in France,
We now have to download printed forms which have to be signed, dated and relevant box ticked as to why we are out. Failure to produce a form results in an immediate fine of €35 or a later one of over €100.
I have just bern to the Drs and was stopped on my walk from the car park by Gendarmes asking where I was going. We live in a very rural area of France not a city.

Ellianne Tue 17-Mar-20 17:42:53

Typical French. Forms for everything and gendarmes popping up all over the place!

On a more serious note the French have been firmly told not to go out unless it is vital. In the UK we have simply been politely asked. Voila la difference.

Patsy70 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:12:11

My sister and her husband live in Estepona, Spain, and were today stopped by the police whilst popping to the dry cleaners and butchers. They were told not to go out as a couple, only on their own!

NfkDumpling Tue 17-Mar-20 18:14:55

In the UK we don't have enough police!

MawB Tue 17-Mar-20 19:27:52

Big difference in the U.K. at the moment Ellianne if public premises, pubs, restaurants, theatres etc were closed down by the government, some at least would have some redress to their insurance.
However they have not been told to close, but the public are being told not to go out. So they will be forced to close because they have no customers.
Many many people are already taking a very big hit.
Do you see the difference?

MawB Tue 17-Mar-20 19:32:37

Oddly, they are just discussing this on the One Show!
My own DD has taken a massive hit from the cancellation of an opera she has been working on in Amsterdam. She has spent eighteen months working on it, paid for assistants, incurred travelling and other expenses and she is down one third of her total fee (so the equivalent of half a year’s pay)
Her next production - Open Air Shakespeare in Regents Park this summer? Almost certainly cancelled.

GrannySomerset Tue 17-Mar-20 19:41:04

If we get this here - and we will - how do I take DH for a little walk? He needs gentle exercise but is not safe on his own. Will I have to have a licence? It’s all getting distinctly scary, and the thought of not doing my own shopping is alarming me, especially if what you asked for is not available.

DD is chairman of a theatre which has only just been turned around after financial problems. I suppose it is possible that it may never re-open, like many provincial houses. I wonder just what the world will look like in six months or a year.

sodapop Tue 17-Mar-20 22:09:15

Don't worry GrannySomerset there is leeway for situations such as yours at least here and I'm sure it will be the same in UK. We can also attend to the needs of our pets, walks,vet etc. I didn't mean to cause anyone unnecessary stress.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 22:12:45

It seems a reasonable way to ensure that people will either isolate, or flatly refuse after seriously considering the possible consequences of going out.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 22:34:09

It does rather remind you of a certain time when a barked order of ‘papers’ in some European countries, put the fear of God into it’s citizens.
I wouldn’t like to see it here at all.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 22:38:08

I wouldn't either, I would hate it, but seeing how selfish or ignorant some people have become already makes me fret a little.

Floradora9 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:42:17

I have seen scenes of Brits in Spain still going out in crowds . Boris Johnstone's dad said he was still going to the pub.

AGAA4 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:53:18

I know many people are just carrying on as normal, which could result in Draconian methods being brought in here in the UK.

Fennel Wed 18-Mar-20 16:08:52

Sodapop - maybe I shouldn't say this, but my view of the many regs and arrets made in France (we lived there 17 years) is that they may be sensible in theory, but in practise they rarely enforce the sanctions. If they exist.
The gendarmes love to throw their weight about. Especially if they see you're anglais.

Greymar Wed 18-Mar-20 16:24:20

Flora, do you have a link to that please?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Mar-20 16:36:19

Greymar there was a clip on the news of shirtless British Idiots defying the police by walking around with cans of beer in the town. One bright man? even said it didn't matter to them as they were flying back to the UK later!!

Greymar Wed 18-Mar-20 17:10:28

Sorry GG, I didn't make myself clear, I was thinking of Stanly but thanks for the info. Awful.

annep1 Wed 18-Mar-20 17:18:39

Yes MawB I very much get it. It's all I would expect from our government.

sodapop Wed 18-Mar-20 17:34:28

That's true Fennel I've already been stopped by the Gendarmes but they didn't know I was English until I spoke. The French will only comply where they want to but of course health anxiety is a national problem.

Fennel Wed 18-Mar-20 18:25:22

"The French will only comply where they want to "
Exactly.
That's one of the reasons I miss France.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 18:52:26

On a more serious note the French have been firmly told not to go out unless it is vital. In the UK we have simply been politely asked. Voila la difference.

It's just a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if we are "told" by the end of the week.

Riverwalk Wed 18-Mar-20 19:23:30

Draconian measures are unavoidable - there are even posters on GN cheerfully ignoring the advise and carrying on as normal.

The Telegraph and the London Evening Standard have no doubt been briefed as they've been predicting lockdown for London within days.

Greymar Wed 18-Mar-20 19:36:49

Fennel, I get that.

kaycee Wed 18-Mar-20 21:07:47

I volunteer in a charity shop and decided to stop for the time being - I am 73 and DH 75 with diabetes. Most of the over 70s volunteers have made the same decision in line with advice and have the blessing of our manager. A few are still going in saying why should they be told what to do and it won't make any difference if they do go in. This selfish attitude is not a particularly good role model for our younger generation I think.

blondenana Wed 18-Mar-20 22:01:03

My son lives in Spain, and his wife had to go out, for an important meeting,
On her way back she was stopped by 2 armed police,who asked where she had been and where she was going,
They were satisfied and let her go on her way, shes not a very confident driver, but it's not allowed for 2 people to be in a car, and it was nerve wracking she said
All hotels being shut down now
A couple went out and were not allowed back in, the hotel had been shut down while they were out