Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(104 Posts)
12Michael Wed 18-Mar-20 06:18:09

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight but grey skies and some rain.
Yesterday , i went out as normal but numbers were down on buses especially the X5 Oxford -Cambridge.
Bicester wise I did manage to get one item I needed plus other bits.
But carried on as normal regardless.
Got home to get a message on my answer phone as to my planned trip which would be tomorrow to see Tina the musical is cancelled .
But I would be getting a letter as to other bookings .
As to the statements on TV as to the virus etc carry on as normal .
It reminds me of Dads Army BJ as Captain Mainwairing , especially the open title bit changed slightly to Union Flag going against Europe and a symbol representing the virus trying to get in.
Mick

Curlywhirly Wed 18-Mar-20 07:34:33

Good morning from a very wet, miserable Cheshire. Sadly, not going to my volunteering 'job' in a charity shop this morning (I work upstairs pricing goods, so don't come into contact with customers) as the shop is closed until further notice. As it is pouring down I will have to stay indoors, so may tackle sorting out some drawers/cupboards, or may just loll about and finish my book!

Take care everyone.

Susan56 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:36:38

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where its another drizzly day.
Welcome to the good morning thread Rosalyn??you are in a lovely part of the country,we know it well as my husband is from Llanelli.
The car has its MOT this morning and then we will come home and start the decorating.
Mary,I am sorry that it looks like your daughters wedding will be postponed.Sending much love to you all.
Ann,dragonfly,gilly and DH and any others awaiting treatment,thinking of you all.
Wishing everyone the best day possible?

dragonfly46 Wed 18-Mar-20 07:42:10

Good morning from a damp Leicestershire.

Local hospital this morning for blood test.
I hear Sainsbury are opening for an hour first thing tomorrow for the vulnerable so will get DH’s prescription then.

Hope everyone has the best day possible.

grannysyb Wed 18-Mar-20 07:45:58

Good morning from a grey Teddington. Managed to get to the allotment yesterday and finished weeding the rhubarb. Also cleared a cupboard out. Going to walk to Twickenham in the hope of finding bread flour. Might do another cupboard later. Sorry to hear about the wedding Marydoll. TOYA

NanKate Wed 18-Mar-20 07:47:15

Good morning Mick and All from a grey overcast South Bucks.

I am going to a friend’s house to play Rummikub with her this afternoon. She lives on her own and until there is a complete lockdown we will meet up at hers or mine. I’m lucky I have DH but I realise many of my friends are alone and need support.

It’s so good we have the GN community. ?

NanKate Wed 18-Mar-20 07:57:19

Kitty when you come on this morning can you give us the link to Museums and Art Galleries please ? Can you get a virtual tour ?

flowerlover Wed 18-Mar-20 08:03:49

Another good morning from Co Antrim. The rain yesterday didn't help a very subdued Patrick's Day.
Thank you everyone who congratulated me on my little grandsons birth many miles away and who offered St Patrick's Day greetings to all us Irish grans. At such a bleak time they meant so much and made me feel quite emotional.
Now that I am starting to post on this most interesting thread and feel a connection with you all there is going to be very little to share as normal life is stopping. We plan to go to a garden centre shortly and buy our veg and flower seeds and a few houseplants to cheer me up.
Thinking of all Gransnet posters whose many daily challenges I read about with increasing admiration.

Brunette10 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:07:11

Good morning from a bright Fife, that's the weather I'm talking about. Can't quite get all of this in my head, just cannot believe this is happening in our country. Want to waken up and find out it's a dream - however I know it's not. So many GN's with so much to see to and so many disappointments for everyone. The saying 'your health comes first' has never been so important. That is why we are all taking these precautions. It is dire but we shall get through it if we all just stay calm and do as instructed. We are all here for one another. Heart goes out to all those with arrangements for the next few months not knowing what will happen. Sending hugs and best wishes to all us GN"s and keep safe flowers

cornergran Wed 18-Mar-20 08:11:29

Morning Mick, morning All from a grey, overcast corner of Somerset. Mr C plans to wield a paintbrush this morning, I’ll stay out of the way. Our lovely 93 year old neighbour was reflecting on her war experiences (particularly the importance of clean underwear smile) and pointed out that the isolation needed to manage the virus ? will make this so much harder. Thank goodness for our virtual community. Thinking of everyone coping with disappointments and challenges. Hope Wednesday is as kind as it can be to us all.

ninathenana Wed 18-Mar-20 08:12:37

Good morning everyone.

A grey start in Kent. I have a phone appointment with a GP this morning. The doctor I was booked to see is apparently self isolating.
I will ring the hospital later and check my out patients appointment is going ahead tomorrow.
Thoughts are with a those with troubles and ills.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:18:10

Good morning

I’m not very good at remembering to click in every day, but thought I’d try as it is good to read everyone’s posts.

I’ve just come back from walking the dog on the cliffs then the beach in cloudy Suffolk. We are having a 4 day break before going into lockdown, as I’m convinced it is coming. We e been sensible and eating in the cottage and keeping away from close contact although it isn’t difficult here. The only chink in the armour is filling up for petrol. I got in a terrible muddle with disposable gloves and trying not to touch the pad with my finger. It didn’t work so scrubbed like mad with a dettol wipe. We haven’t been able to get any hand sanitizer but will keep trying.

I will hopefully now be able to contribute in a meaningful way as I get to read the posts and can reply with some sense.

Have an excellent day everyone and keep well!!

Marydoll Wed 18-Mar-20 08:18:18

Good morning all from a breezy Glasgow, the bed is stripped and the bedding will be going out on the line. A good drying day, I hope. I love teh smell of washing which has been outside drying.

Day 2, of my incarceration. Being the logical person I am, I have a plan, I always have a plan. The other day I decided to steam clean my range, but my hand held steamer wouldn't work. ?
My new one arrived last night (great excitement) and this house will be gleaming by the end of my lockdown! (Of course it is already! wink.

So unlike me, I had a wobbly last night and posted on a thread, that I didn't think I would be able to see or hug my wee granddaughter for some time, if ever. She is also unwell just now.
I don't think I have every felt so low, but today is a new day and its NOT raining for once. I may get a stroll around the garden.

Some of you will know I was totally grounded yesterday by a GP. I phoned to update my GP on my reaction to heart new meds, instead of a receptionist, I got the senior partner. He said everyone was off sick, ? and the doctors were manning the phones. All routine appointments are cancelled.
When he said I was in the most vulnerable group, I said my daughter was getting married, he said that I shouldn't worry as he thought everything (weddings, funerals etc) was going to be cancelled anyway. That really cheered me up.

Although I was aware that I was vulnerable, I have always been in denial about it all. I certainly got a bit of a wake up call, as he put the fear of death into me, literally!
Having a very fertile imagination, I assumed the worst. I had the feeling that the doctor knew a lot more that he was letting on. Is this Armageddon?
He was so calm and matter of fact about it all.

As for the wedding, we contacted everyone and said that we wished to keep everyone safe, so most have cancelled, which is the right thing to do.
The venue, have been useless. It is a huge group, who have 130 weddings this year, but we can't get a straight answer from them. That of course is adding to DD's stress.
We are hoping that she can still get married quietly, but even that may not be allowed to happen as the government are changing the advice daily.
It's a wait and see scenario.

I have noticed so many new posters on here, which is great news. Mick, give yourself a huge pat on the back for starting such a lovely thread!

Urmstongran you are in my thoughts, Pantglas, I'm glad to see you are home, (I thought you were trapped in Spain),
Gilly and Mr Gilly, Dragonfly , hugs for you.
Megs55, I hope your DH feels a bit better and sending healing vibes for the so many on here with ill health and sorrow.

Thank you my dear virtual friends for all your support, it is helping. flowers
As usual, I have rambled and wittered on. GN is my coping mechanism ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:24:31

marydoll

My DH is also in the very high risk group. He is much more stoical about it then I am and I think I’m beginning to irritate him with my continual warning him about not touching anything etc. I think eventually we will all settle to this new “normal” but it will take a time. But it seems that we will have plenty of time ? to get used to it.

Scentia Wed 18-Mar-20 08:25:46

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. A wet walk into work this morning. I overslept this morning so I am coming to the party late! It takes a while to read through them all when you arrive this late?

I was pleased to hear that our business can get a £10k grant from the government. Well ‘he said it and he meant it’!! I will believe it when I see it and I hope we are still around when and if it arrives. Most of our customers are brewers so goodness knows if they will need more or less labels, I am actually not sure what on earth is going on around me most of the time. My DH has a heart condition since birth and says that he will not self isolate for 12 weeks as anyone who can run a marathon in 2hrs 40mins is not vulnerable?. Hope it isn’t made compulsory or he will drive me nuts not being able to run.
I read every post on here and I feel very luck that I am young(ish) and healthy. My thoughts are with Marydoll’s daughter at the moment. I feel so sad for her with wedding plans scupered.❤️
I will send you all my very big smile, and ask you to pass it on.?

Lins1066 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:29:48

Good Morning Mick and everyone. It is wet here on the S Welsh coast. Will go for a walk on the seafront later despite the rain, it was strange to see it deserted yesterday afternoon.
There are so many on this thread who are struggling with health and other worries, gilly,dragonfly, and Marydoll ?
Take care of yourselves Urmston and Dh and yes indeed enjoy the sunshine.
Hugs to all.

Grammaretto Wed 18-Mar-20 08:30:45

Marydoll I hadn't realised the wedding may not happen at all now. I am so sorry. We were all looking forward to it.
Buggeration.

annsixty Wed 18-Mar-20 08:42:57

Good morning all from a damp Stockport.
My heart really goes out to you and your D Marydoll
It is the disappointment that we can all feel.
You are so stoic and your physical condition would have others permanently grounded but you just shrug it off and carry on.
My admiration is bottomless.
I feel so well apart from my hip, it is a good thing , for me anyway, that we will be made to stay indoors, if I were
more able I would be champing at the bit.
Keep safe everyone and have as good a day as you can.

vena11 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:52:45

Good morning from a wet Bristol.
No more school runs or pick ups for us now. My son is now working from home,how long the schools will stay open is anyone's guess.
Nothing planned today like most people.
Trying but it is hard to stop overthinking and I am missing my DGC already.
Keep safe everyone.

BladeAnnie Wed 18-Mar-20 08:52:50

Good morning from a chilly and wet mid-Notts. DOH was told yesterday that a work colleague who he spent Friday with is very ill in hospital being tested for covid-19 - scarily brings it all home. Marydoll - feel so sad about your DDs wedding sad . Sending everyone virtual hugs x

Anniebach Wed 18-Mar-20 08:54:44

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Raining in Mid Wales , again

Laughterlines Wed 18-Mar-20 08:57:59

Good morning everybody from grey Suffolk coast, but sun trying to break through. Heard on radio Gareth Malone planning community singing prog on TV. That would cheer us all up and give lungs a good workout.

Stay cool and take care of each other

Sar53 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:59:02

Good morning everyone from a grey Essex by the sea. Its fairly warm and the heating didn't come on at all this morning.
This is the first day of DH working from home, he is bright and breezy at the moment, but he does not like being told he cannot do something. I see trouble ahead ?☹?.
I will start a new puzzle today and carry on with my new hobby, patchwork.
My eldest daughter and family are self isolating as my 11 year old granddaughter is unwell. I think I will sort out a parcel of little gifts to send the 3 girls. It's hard knowing I wont see any of my family for some time.
Marydoll, I can imagine the disappointment in your house. My best wishes to you and your daughter.
Kind thoughts to you all at this very difficult time. Keep on keeping on x

Greyduster Wed 18-Mar-20 09:03:43

Good morning Michael and all GNs. Keep your chin up Mick. It is über grey in South Yorkshire this morning. I have had about two hours sleep, with all sorts of stuff going round in my head. When I did sleep, I was dreaming about trying to mend a spring in the sofa while wearing a Roman centurian’s helmet!! I will be good for nothing this today. Our lovely young neighbour called round yesterday to give me their telephone number in case we needed anything buying in. I was very touched. Our son in law is going to shop for us for the duration. We won’t make too many demands on either of them if we can help it.
Marydoll ??. Have the best day you can folks.

conor Wed 18-Mar-20 09:06:38

Good morning from a grey Essex. Had annual BP review at doctors yesterday and went in with scarf up to my eyes and latex gloves. I did make him laugh!! So sorry about Marydoll's DD wedding but you seem so accepting of it all. Love the novella! Another day of sorting etc How long can I make this last and each day seems to bring more depressing news. I find it strange not to have something to look forward to: trips, theatres or holidays but looks like the new normal. Missing my DGC but facetime has to do for now. Wishing everyone the best day as we all sit in our gleaming houses! Xxx

Mapleleaf Wed 18-Mar-20 09:10:04

Good morning all,

It's a grey start here, but not yet raining.
Not sure what I'm going to do today - probably the ironing that is waiting to be done.

I got into the garden yesterday as planned, and really enjoyed pottering. I didn't do it all, as I intend to spread it out a bit so that I've got something to do each fine day.

I also took a walk to the local post office to post a birthday card. The recipient lives abroad and so I thought it had better go now, even though it will be a bit early.

I'm so sorry to read of so many GN's plans and trips being thwarted by this virus. It seems like a bad dream, doesn't it?

It's nice to see new posters, a warm welcome to you all.

Keep safe everyone. ?