Gransnet forums

Chat

Let's have some fun to brighten things up.

(34 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:55:57

There is so much doom and gloom about, that I nipped off on the Magic Express and went to visit some really old friends.

Spent a couple of lovely days in the Three Acre Wood with Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet and all the others. Christopher Robin wasn't there, busybakson I expect.

Pooh is a little worn at the edges and Rabbit a little grey, but then so am I. Rabbit is just as busy as ever, he had found me a relation if his to stay with.

Owl is the same as ever. I took him a large box of very, very long words, which he was thrilled with. When I left he was still trying to get his tongue round pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Eeyore had of course lost his tail again, so Piglet, Roo, Pooh and I spent a day searching for it and sewing it back in place. The fresh nettles I had dug up from my garden aren't nearly as good as Eeyore's own - no surprise really, he is Eeyore, after all.

Had a marvellous time, wondering if I should go to the building of Jalna next. Young Mrs Whiteoak can't object to a lady of my advanced years, can she? Don't want to go later, I have always found Renny's wife such a bore.

India with Kim?

Let you know where you have been. And if any of you meet the rogue who stole my heart when I was three, tell him to come and see me, please.

You can't mistake him. He is the only cat in the whole wide world who wears boots!

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:57:19

No ginny don't worry, it doesn't matter if we don't recognise the allusions I'm sure, it's just that your precis rang a bell with me and I was curious.

crazyH Thu 19-Mar-20 22:01:28

GabriellaG - yes, that'll be me soon...

mrswoo Thu 19-Mar-20 22:47:35

I saw this poem on Twitter today and think it fits this thread perfectly.

I Opened a Book
Julia Donaldson

I opened a book and in I strode
Now nobody can find me.
I’ve left my chair, my house, my road,
My town and my world behind me.

I’m wearing the cloak, I’ve slipped on the ring,
I’ve swallowed the magic potion.
I’ve fought with a dragon, dined with a king
And dived in a bottomless ocean.

I opened a book and made some friends,
I shared their tears and laughter
And followed their road with its bumps and bends
To the happily ever after.

I’ve finished my book and out I came.
The cloak can no longer hide me.
My chair and my house are just the same,
But I have a book inside me.

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 20:43:12

I am behind the scenes with the Duke of Wellington when he was Prime Minister. A close female friend (without benefits), kept a diary of her conversations with him on all the politicking and back biting that went on ehind all the events we just learn of as government decisions and policies. It sounds so familiar - nothing changes.

CanadianGran Fri 20-Mar-20 20:52:24

Just finished making my horrible husband his favourite shepherd's pie (and that's another thread) with a sprinkling of my secret herb recipe that includes dried flower and leaves of foxglove.

My mother handed down the recipe. wink

Nonnie Sat 21-Mar-20 11:34:13

Does it have to be just books? Can we have music and anything else amusing?

twitter.com/i/status/1241280786290167808

sodapop Sat 21-Mar-20 12:28:11

I'm in Scotland with Jamie Fraser its 1778 and I've sent Claire back through the stones to the 1960s, its a hard life but definitely has its compensations.grin

Whitemagnolia Sat 21-Mar-20 17:11:39

I’m attending a ball at Pemberley later.
Tomorrow I’m off to America, I need to visit Hawkeye and Chingachgook to check how the war between the British and the French is progressing. I can’t decide whether to travel by book or by film though.