Gransnet forums

Chat

“Cleaning” purchased groceries

(97 Posts)
Feelingmyage55 Wed 18-Mar-20 19:06:33

I understand all the instructions except that I am left to wonder if there is any risk from handling groceries (or other purchases) that might/could be contaminated by a previous handler. So far I have resisted wiping items but as the situation is becoming more serious I am tempted to do this to my next shopping.

Anniebach Thu 19-Mar-20 09:27:08

This is a stupid question I fear

Would putting things in a bucket of water with fairy liquid be
the same as washing each item individually?

I can’t hold an item with one hand

25Avalon Thu 19-Mar-20 09:28:04

There was a question and answer session on the local news last night with someone from Exeter University. He said that although it was not the general advice he would advise regarding everything that comes into your home as being "contaminated" even your post and to make sure you washed your hands after handling and presumably to disinfect the outer packaging. Bit difficult for some things I would have thought but it set me to thinking. Trouble is are we going to become paranoid?

Alexa Thu 19-Mar-20 09:39:25

Anniebach, I am not a chemist but I understand soap is specially effective for dissolving away the sticky fatty layer on the virus without which it's no use as a virus. Detergent may do the same job.

Can you agitate the items in the bucket with one hand, say with a washing up brush the sort of brush you use to scrub the insides of cooking pots ?That is a really interesting question and well worth asking.

merlotgran Thu 19-Mar-20 09:47:55

What's wrong with just thoroughly washing your hands after you've handled your delivery and washing them again after opening tins etc?

When I've put everything away I clean the kitchen worktops with Dettox or Flash with bleach.

I wash fruit and veg.

Alexa Thu 19-Mar-20 09:54:27

After opening tins etc you still have to handle
the empty containers, put them on your clean surfaces.That is why its better to decontaminate tins etc,when they enter the house.

endlessstrife Thu 19-Mar-20 10:06:25

I leave as much as I can in the garage for 72 hours. The rest either loses it’s outer covering, or gets wiped. I know I’m not going to get every last one, but doing what I can.

HillyP Thu 19-Mar-20 10:13:51

Some useful info here: www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

Xrgran Thu 19-Mar-20 10:18:45

Keep a jar of diluted bleach with cloth in and remove and clean post and deliveries.

NemosMum Thu 19-Mar-20 10:23:57

Good grief! Are we driving ourselves mad?!!! Do what you usually do: wash fruit and veg. Bagged salad has already had the Miltons treatment. Miltons is the chlorine solution, by the way, what some USA producers wash raw chicken with, that everybody was protesting about a few months ago. I dare say there will be fewer people protesting now! Just wash your hands more frequently. I fear that there will be a huge waiting list for psychiatrists and clinical psychologists as a result of the neuroses engendered by this virus. Try not to let yourself get into a spiral of fear and obsession. I hope everyone has a calm and productive day. sunshine brew cupcake

Anniebach Thu 19-Mar-20 10:27:47

I have a problem don’t I ? I can’t put liquid food replacement plastic bottles in hot or very warm water , can’t
wear gloves to handle them .

Can’t put them straight into kitchen cupboards, so sorry to keep on about it.

Xrgran Thu 19-Mar-20 10:31:16

If you have any plastic bottles with spray nozzle you can add your disinfectant liquid and keep in bag or pocket.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:34:21

Get someone to help you Anniebach
There are lots of volunteers who are advertising their services in many areas.
If you are really worried, ring your local SS and explain dillema. I hope they can offer a solution. ?

DBOHB Thu 19-Mar-20 10:35:08

After reading this, I am going to spray my bottle of Dettol with . . . erm . . . Dettol.

But how do I spray the bottle of Dettol that I am going to spray my bottle of Dettol with!!

Come on folks, let's be sensible.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:36:07

Correction dilemma not dillema.

polnan Thu 19-Mar-20 10:38:06

I have yet to read all the posts here

but hey, who has managed to get any shopping ? here the shelves are empty, if we are allowed there!

our Morrisons, our lovely local shop and all of them

well MOrrisons is NOT having a set aside hour for the self isolated...... I am disgusted with Morrisons,#

that is my gripe!

more yet to come

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:43:32

I totally agree with endless strife! I think this virus is unlike anything we have seen before. For my last shopping delivery I felt rather silly. Now I'm glad I was cautious. The virus lasts for different times on different surfaces. We can only guess at the amount of people who have touched/coughed over items or who delivery men have been in contact with? I have a delivery due tomorrow and not relishing thought,process of cleaning items,keeping safe distance from driver etc exhausting! I'm nowhere near OCD normally but am self isolating as in vulnerable group.
I'm equally carefully with post.
All we can do is minimise risk as best can!

Madwoman11 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:45:57

Personally I am washing my hands much more frequently, wiping things down more often especially things like the external door handles and gate. Work tops etc etc etc.
I'm also keeping a distance from people. No visitors allowed indoors, but family walks and sit in the garden if weather permits.
I think if we carry it any further the stress will kill us.

Theoddbird Thu 19-Mar-20 10:59:05

No I am not. I just wash loose fruit and veg as normal. One can take things too far.

lostinfrance Thu 19-Mar-20 11:07:37

I think it would be nigh on impossible to clean every surface of every item that comes into your house.

When I have been to the shops I come in and wash my hands. I put my shopping bags on the floor (never on worktops anyway as bags are mucky items at the best of times) and put everything straight in the cupboard,fridge or freezer. Then I fold up my bags and put back in my car boot. Then I wash my hands.

I wash my hands before prepping and cooking. Again before getting out plates and cutlery etc.

I think anymore than that is going to drive us all mad.

Wash hands and keep your hands out of your mouth, eyes and nose.

ecci53 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:11:30

I had an Asda delivery yesterday. I wiped everything with thin bleach. I also wipe all door handles, taps etc with bleach at least once each day. Wiped the outside of the packets of fruit and veg, if loose rinsed in bleach then water. Can't be too careful, I'm in 2 of the high risk groups.

Kate63 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:41:25

Doodle I love you message especially the final comment.

Let us all keep things in proportion. As long as we wash our hands before and after handling.

Yvon Thu 19-Mar-20 11:46:30

I agree. The virus does not live long on hard surfaces. Just keep washing your hands

henetha Thu 19-Mar-20 11:48:47

My Tesco order was delivered last evening. One third of items were not available, no bread, potatoes, carrots, tinned food, bleach, disinfectant etc. etc. Hell's bells!
I wore surgical gloves to handle the items and have put some in quarantine, some in the freezer, etc.
I'm a bit fed up today but will bounce back tomorrow.

ReadyMeals Thu 19-Mar-20 11:55:37

Another idea I thought I might try is to carefully unwrap things that can't be washed properly, and see if I can transfer the contents to one of my own containers without touching the contents, then immediately throw away the wrapper. I actually wash the tins and waterproof things with washing up liquid and rinse - as if they were dishes. After doing all that wash your hands well and that should be dealt with

Sussexborn Thu 19-Mar-20 11:59:14

The kidney unit I worked in was highly commended for lack of infections. We used squirty bottles with cap full of Milton type fluid and one drop of washing up liquid, then fill with hot water. All new staff would put more washing up liquid in and then spend ages removing the bubbles.

Never dreamed I would even consider washing my shopping but think I’ll give it a miss.