Gransnet forums

Chat

Could this be appropriate for today

(29 Posts)
12Michael Thu 19-Mar-20 09:14:12

recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime.php
Mick

Grandma2213 Mon 23-Mar-20 00:12:15

I remember most things but I don't remember ration books. I was born in 1947. My mother was not the best of cooks so food was just there to eat. Maybe that is why I loved school dinners but sadly we moved to a village when I was 6 so had to go home for lunch after that! I do remember being told, as the oldest child in the family that I had the best teeth because of sweet rationing.

grumppa Sun 22-Mar-20 23:58:54

I remember the day rationing on sweets was lifted. I bought a bar of chocolate on my way to school.

callgirl1 Sun 22-Mar-20 23:24:04

Us kids used to have a joke that asked "Are lollipops on points?" And the answer was "No, they`re on sticks!"

henetha Sun 22-Mar-20 11:53:08

I can't find any eggs at the moment, so for the first time ever
I'm without eggs. Even during the war (I was born in 1937 so remember it well) we had plenty of eggs because we always kept loads of chickens in our large back garden where we also grew masses of fruit and veg. All up and down our road we swapped produce and helped each other. And mum used to bottle all surplus fruit so even in winter we had plenty.
She also bottled eggs in something called Isinglass.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 11:07:39

Before he went to India my father was the Liaison Officer for an USAF base in Somerset. he used to be given boxes of oranges and sometimes even bananas and the farm he was billetted on made cheese, so generally we did not do too badly.

My mother and grandmother grew vegetaables in the back garden and kept chickens. I certainly do not remember being hungry and I can remember going up to central London (from Lewisham) and eating out at Lyons Corner House.

The sweet ration was bought from the sweet shop on the way home from church on a Sunday and then put in a tin in the sideboard and we were allowed one each after each meal.

I can also remember my mother giving me all the family clothing coupons to play with when clothes went off ration.

I remember collecting my baby sister's ration book with my DF. But in 1952, DF was posted to Hong Kong. The family went with him so that was the end of rationing for me.

Greyduster Sun 22-Mar-20 11:06:51

Annsixty when we were stationed in Belgium in the seventies, the American PX still sold bacon like that; exactly as you describe. It was pretty awful stuff but they seemed to like it. We would drive nearly two hours to the nearest British NAAFI shop to buy “proper bacon”. We had a monthly bacon run rota!

Dottydots Sun 22-Mar-20 10:45:08

I was born in 1942 and I don't remember ever feeling hungry through my childhood. Mum cooked a lot of rabbit pies and stews which I ate with relish then but I couldn't face eating a rabbit now.

yggdrasil Sun 22-Mar-20 10:44:30

I wasn't born till after the war, but my mother had to deal with ration books. When sweets were still on ration the grocer used to give me a little paper bag with some chocolate sprinkles in. That didn't count as sweets :-)

annsixty Sun 22-Mar-20 10:25:22

Born in 1937, we used to get occasional food parcels sent from either America or Canada, I can’t remember which.
They would contain tinned bacon.Not bacon as we know it but it was cured and wrapped in grease proof paper in a long roll , like a very long Swiss roll in a tin.
It was very odd but I liked it.

Bbarb Sun 22-Mar-20 10:02:09

Of course they did.
We were well off compared to the Germans, at least the population was fed although I also remember being hungry (not starving, just hungry) I was born in 1938 and rationing went on until the 50s.
In Berlin by the end of the war they were eating cats and dogs, and that's when the great air-lift started, with food we could hardly afford coming from us (well mainly the Americans) and dropped into the country. It must have been horrendous.
I didn't enjoy wartime food, it was grey, repetitive and pretty tasteless.
The present shortages of things like milk and eggs are due to the fact that British farming has been decimated and we now buy a lot of things like milk and food from abroad. Time we started being self sufficient again. We've even grouted out our orchards and imported things like apples (which grow so well in our climate) from countries as far away as Peru.
Are we mad?

ninathenana Sun 22-Mar-20 09:54:08

All before my time ?

Alexa Sun 22-Mar-20 09:48:05

Isn't it true a ewe occasionally broke her leg and had to be put down?

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:35:51

Uh-oh...sent too soon.
Meant to say no shortages as we lived on a farm and we received all the food and extras we wanted from the nearby USAF base.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:32:27

I too remember ration cards (born 1945) but we sent most of them to my nanny (dad's mum) as we lived on a farm and also got food from the nearby USAF base. shortages

Alexa Fri 20-Mar-20 20:41:12

and tea was on the ration books too. The ration books were full of coupons which the grocer or butcher cut out according to what my mother had bought

Alexa Fri 20-Mar-20 20:38:51

I was born in 1931 and I remember wartime food.The rations were adequate. The ration books permitted set quantities of eggs, butter, marg, bacon, butcher meat. milk, sugar, sweets, and later on bread was rationed too.

I think the butcher sold bones off ration. Not sure about offal.

Fish was sometimes available off ration.

Tinned food was sold according to a points system where the points did not specify what food was in the tins. Spam was popular and very good. Powdered egg was worth buying although it had to be scrambled or baked. Jam was on points.
Clothing and soap were rationed.

When I went to be a student nurse in late 1947 each nurse carried in her pocket a small plain oval tin box with a compartment for her sugar ration and a compartment for her butter ration. I owned three pairs of knickers, two bras, and three pairs of long black stockings made of a shiny man made fibre and the make was called 'Durene' but they needed quite a lot of darning. I owned a wool coat and a raincoat, and my woollen nurse's cloak.

Fresh fruit and veg was not rationed. We once got a bunch of bananas and auctioned it for the Red Cross. I don't think there were citrus fruits.

HettyMaud Fri 20-Mar-20 20:20:16

EllanVannin, my Gran always put sugar on her tomatoes too.

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 20:17:43

Food has always been of great importance to me, even as a child, and, although, as I was born in 1943, I do not rememeber war time food. I do remember, immediately post war food: Potatoes mashed to a wonderful lightness with cream from the top of the milk bottle, a very nice casserole made with corn beef and vegetables and milk puddings, which I loved.

My DF was posted to India in early 1945, not returning until 1948, he used to send us food and fabric parcels. He was officially limited to one parcel a month but got round it by sending everyone in the household a parcel separately. As there were 5 of us, grandmother, aunt, mother and 2 children, parcels arrived regularly all sewn int white cotton. He would send tins of butter, vienna sausages, like frankfurters, macedoine vegetables, Quality Street, corned beef and podered egg.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 22:20:06

I know I was given mashed tomatoes as a baby. They were grown in the garden during the war and mum used to skin and de-seed them and sprinkle sugar on them.
We grew a lot of veg so were pretty self-sufficient and all mum used to buy was fish----and rabbits. And bake a lot.

chicken Thu 19-Mar-20 21:57:50

How about Woolton pie? I actually tried making a version of it and it was tasty.

I can remember my mother making sweets out of dried milk, syrup and peppermint essence. I think they were called peppermint lumps. I've got two or three wartime recipe books and a ration card. I can also remember eating at a British restaurant ( if that's the correct name )--all the food was greyish!

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:14:20

Found a couple of recipes

Oatmeal sausages

Fig Charlotte

Potato Shortbread

Don’t all ask me for the recipes at once....

Grannybags Thu 19-Mar-20 20:51:26

I've still got my ration book too! Born in 1952 and sugar was still rationed

Juliet27 Thu 19-Mar-20 20:46:48

I’ve still got my ration book!! I’m such a hoarder.

blossom14 Thu 19-Mar-20 20:33:10

I'm sure I can remember a war time recipe book that my Mum had. It featured a cartoon lady called 'Patsy' who wore a pinafore and had one of those rolled hairstyles. It was possibly published by the Daily Mirror.

I remember ration books very well and having to register it with a grocer.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:54:24

I have a war time cookery book, I’ll have to dust it off.

I was a child so I don’t remember any of the food I was given.