Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Thursday

(13 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 20-Mar-20 12:32:53

With all of this self isolating, I was thinking there might be a baby boom in about 9 months
Gillybarb Whether or not your separation distance is 1.5 or 2.0 metres, it would still be difficult to achieve what you suggest, without breaching Guidelines! shock
Ta-Ra

Rufus2 Fri 20-Mar-20 12:16:08

rufus you are wrong and the distance is 2 metres.
Charleygirl That may be so in The Old Dart, but as you've said before, you have a dodgy memory and obviously forgotten I'm in Australia. grin
Ta-Ra

fatgran57 Fri 20-Mar-20 03:15:10

Hi Rufus I was including myself in with the older Australians smile

I can remember an auntie of mine who called out "cooee" when arriving at the door and people did say ooRoo also. Not so much now though.

Had to visit doctor this morning and she kept saying there is no need to worry.

I thought then why do you have hazard tape at reception so we can't go close to staff and glass barriers between reception staff and us but being a coward I said nothing. (except did say smartly "only about toilet paper") She smiled rather weakly!

Went to health food shop while in next town, plenty of everything I wanted - asked staff member how many packets of lentils, teabags etc could I buy and she said as many as I wanted. Only got two of each plus sultanas, rolled oats etc.so should be fine for a while. Children are getting us milk etc when needed.

No new cases reported in paper today.

Keep well everyone.

Charleygirl5 Thu 19-Mar-20 16:29:22

rufus you are wrong and the distance is 2 metres.

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:53:46

Us not up

rafichagran Thu 19-Mar-20 14:53:26

Hi Rufus, glad your back.

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:53:15

Maybe everybody will have bought up so much stuff they'll not need anything for ages and the shops will be quieter next week? Hope so anyway.
I'm very impressed to have had full reimbursement of a short break we were due to take next week. I'd sadly written off the money as its nobody's fault and the hotel is a business employing people after all. Their very fair response is likely to make up rebook once this current unpleasantness is past.

Megs36 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:46:02

And why toilet rolls ??

Curlywhirly Thu 19-Mar-20 14:01:01

I wonder why the British feel the need to panic buy? I have heard that there is no panic buying in Italy and Urmstongran says there's none where she is in Spain - both countries in a far worse situation than us at the moment.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 13:52:42

Hi Ruf . Your memory serves you very well indeed I am no fan of the royals (deliberate small r)

Well you wouldn't believe what's going on here in Geordieland and across the country as a whole. Empty shelves, businesses pulling down the shutters. Cafes, restaurants, bars, cinemas almost all closed .

With all of this self isolating, I was thinking there might be a baby boom in about 9 months time. wink

Rufus2 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:40:22

Hola!;
How long does a "mo" last in Spain?
Envisage any problems about getting home again to dear old M/c?
I imagine Elderly Spanish shoppers would whip out their capes and go charging down the supermarket aisles, a la that race of the bulls! grin
Just a thought!
Adios!

Urmstongran Thu 19-Mar-20 13:16:42

Hi there Rufus!
Out in Spain at the mo and shoppers here seem very sensible. No ransacked shelves, queue gaps are marked with yellow lines on the floor and no panic buying - quite civilised in fact!
?

Rufus2 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:30:39

Greetings from a very warm Melb. evening; 10.15pm, 27C and light drizzle keeping the humidity on full.
Thanks for your questions on "OoRoo", Bluebelle and Boat! No idea where it came from, but now I think I'll drop it after fatgran did me no favours by saying "mostly used or remembered by older Australians hmm She should know being fair dinkum Aussie! grin
I could say "Toodle Pip", but I won't!
The very early morning Oldies scrum seems to be settling down after our PM gave a very impressive rebuke together with a well received account as to where we are at; but no idea of course how this will pan out. All that can be done is use commonsense and follow the medical experts!

We need less "Coronaphobia"
Megs I think you'd call them lockdowns when so many activities have been curtailed; no handshakes, no hugging, kissing, no mass gatherings (>100 indoors)
Now Qantas has taken the axe with flight cancellations and mass lay-offs. It's very hard to see how "life" as we knew it will ever be restored, but I guess we'll have to re-adjust.

gillybarb I know you're a Geordie and a devout Republican if my memory serves me right. We met when Victoria B. (my then heart-throb although I've now taken to nurse Jacqui !smile ) was the resident punchbag until Meghan came along!
You also introduced me to "Newcastle Brun", although I haven't found any here yet. Must be strong if it keeps those North Sea gales out! wink
By coincidence, I've started to read one of those many books that I said I'd read when I retired, (29 years ago!);
called "The Doomsday Book" by Gorden Rattray Taylor,
Came out in 1970 and no matter what page it opens at, the prophecies therein are with us now! It's uncanny and definitely worth reading.
Anyway, Good early morning shopping, no fisticuffs and observe that 1.5 metre no-go space between you and anyone else! grin
Slainte