Gransnet forums

Chat

Apart from worry over the coronavirus

(11 Posts)
M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 18:38:57

While there are people are panic buying. I think there are many people, like us, faced with three months in seclusion and wanting to reduce shopping to an absolute minimum who are very sensibly making sure that they have as much as they may need of many commodities before they close down.

Then if anyone is ill, you immediately have to go into 2 weeks house arrest, so you need enough food in the house to cover that. DS and family are currently under house arrest for a week because a friend has corvid-19. The first thing DS had to do was go to the supermarket and buy supplies for the family because they didn't have a suitable mix of food in the house. Ordering on line was impossible.

I have not been bulk buying any of the popular items, neither rice, pasta, supermarket bread or meat and only one pack of (needed) loo paper, when I could have bought more, found their way into my trolley. I have however been to my local organic farm to collect the bulk pack of beef I ordered a fortnight ago because I had run out of beef and my local prk butcher for sausages and bacon and my local baker for a couple of extra loaves. This I consider to be sensible strategic food buying to ensure that I need only make one trip to a food shop each week and that that shop will be as short as possible.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-Mar-20 18:34:33

On the upside we rarely have a takeaway, have just ordered a Chinese meal to be delivered and they have given us a 15% discount as people are avoiding "Chinese establishments due to this flipping virus "

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 18:28:14

Corrections: 1... and I not Oi

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 18:25:51

I have not stockpiled anything, nothing at all. Still have 2 pks of 9 loo rolls bought before I went on holiday nearly 4 weeks ago and 3 pks of soap (4 in a pack) bought same time. No sanitizer...no tinned stuff except that which was already in cupboards, 2 beans, 2 tuna . Bought I pk fresh taglietalle today plus small tub of mascarpone tomato and basil sauce for dinner tonight. Already have some Parmesan and will have yogurt and blueberries for pudding (all bought today in M&S) with crumbled Amaretti bis which I've had unopened for months.
I've no idea why people can't be sensible but it's the greed factor. Same people shopping several times a day in different stores with different family members splitting up to shop in same stores.
Probably some on here too...yes, call me a cynic but 10-1 I'm right.
Makes me heave.
All pubs, wine bars, cafes, restaurants to close tonight.
Oi wonder how government will know exactly who works for what company and their salary, so the company will be compensated for 80% of their wages. How will gov know who is laid off?
Who will work out the repayments to the companies/businesses?
Will it all be above board?
If a worker self isolates for 2 weeks, will payments stop after they return to work and who will inform gov of their return?
Gawd knows how this will pan out.
Glad I have a pension and don't even have to think about it. hmm

EllanVannin Fri 20-Mar-20 17:27:33

Nobody is making a bee-line for any one thing at the corner shops here. There are plenty of toilet rolls etc. Bleach, Dettol and Bath gels.
Nobody's got the money to buy in bulk anyway.

AGAA4 Fri 20-Mar-20 15:47:30

People are being kind here too but some are definitely only thinking of themselves. I just hope they will start to see how their selfishness is affecting others.

Grammaretto Fri 20-Mar-20 15:42:33

I was wondering when their money would run out. I think they are following a lead from the US where people hide in bunkers with guns to see out world war 3.
I saw a photo of a queue in America - at a gun store!
There are definitely some very weird characters about but most are not like that - surely.
Where I live, people are being kind and helpful. Although one food bank had to close because there were not enough volunteers, another is still active and a team of "street ambassadors" has been started. One person for each street will answer the phone and help people who are in difficulties.

AGAA4 Fri 20-Mar-20 15:20:22

Hoarding

AGAA4 Fri 20-Mar-20 15:19:50

After seeing the tearful appeal from a nurse who after working long shifts found that there was no food in the supermarket, I hope people will stop hording food!

How can our NHS workers stay healthy to look after us if people have hogged everything for themselves.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 17:37:30

You're telling me !

AGAA4 Thu 19-Mar-20 15:29:03

I am also worried about the way many people are behaving eg stockpiling, ignoring guidance. I am concerned that there are so many selfish people around and it takes something like this crisis to show them up.