Gransnet forums

Chat

Self isolating who else is joining me, so to speak

(17 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:17:45

I’m self isolating simply because not only am I high risk, although no symptoms I’m taking this very seriously. Not just thinking about myself. But everyone out there too. This I fear could be a long haul, yes I will miss my grandchildren whom I look after couple times a week but my DD and SIL are takin no chances, they are both working from home, as as for being bored nope. I have countless things I can do at home, and when I’ve finished I will be reading the vast amount of books I’ve got from the library

BlueSapphire Thu 19-Mar-20 17:30:28

Me too TrendyNannie. DS and DD have banned me from going out except the garden. I have plenty to do. No more looking after the DGDs, though, which is sad, no Mothering Sunday contact. We will manage!

Susan56 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:34:39

We are self isolating.I think if you don’t need to go out,stay in.My daughter has chronic asthma and I can’t put into words how worried I am.

Grandmaclampet Thu 19-Mar-20 17:39:11

I used to have my grandchildren two days a week but as my husband is in high risk group I have sadly had to say that I can not look after them now. My son has phoned me and text me but nothing from my daughter in law. I feel used and unloved as not seen the children for 2 weeks now.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:45:34

Yes bluesapphire we are not looking after our grandchildren either as both me and my dH high risk, yes I’m sad but with WhatsApp etc and phones it’s not like we won’t be keeping in touch we speak everyday, no Mothering Sunday contact also, but as you say, we will manage, that’s right Susan56 stay in, sorry to hear you feeling used grandmaclampet hope you hear from your daughter in law soon

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Mar-20 17:56:30

Grandmaclampet You are lucky, you haven't seen your family for 2 weeks, I have not seen my family since Christmas Day and was dearly longing for us all to get together on Mothering Sunday and now that is not going to happen.

But, nothing can be done..... there's always someone worse off. We must just do our very best and follow the advice we're given. I am juggling 9 illnesses including asthma so I'm vulnerable.

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:01:33

Charming story on BBC website of 3 oldies who have self isolated together. Great idea - they can keep each other company, look after each other, pool resources etc. Good for them.

Grandmaclampet Thu 19-Mar-20 18:10:18

Sparklefizz Sorry to hear that.
I am just upset that I have looked after the 2 children for 10 years since they were babies and the moment I can not look after them, all contact with me is dropped.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 18:14:45

There's no other way if you want to stay alive for self and families.
Thinking of your worries Susan and hope things will be alright with your daughter. x
Haven't heard from my family in Sydney yet since emailing them, so hope all is well with them.

No GGC visits here either, or any other visits but it's for the best all round and it'll make us more appreciative of our families when we get together again. At least I have a garden.

I notice London has been hammered by the virus.

Coolgran65 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:22:12

Grandmaclampet I wonder if you were to ring your DIL. Keeping it light and asking her how she is. Show her you are interested.

Also perhaps suggest to your son that you'd really love to see the children and could you agree a suitable time to FaceTime.

I know you are feeling used but honestly, I'd try to bridge any gap before it got bigger.

Sparkling Thu 19-Mar-20 18:27:58

Everyone I know over 70!is self isolating or severely reducing
contact with people. It's what the eventuates suggest we do sober get on with it.
Sorry Sparklefiz it must be so hard. You would think when something as life changing as this occurs,mgrievances would be put aside.

BlueSky Thu 19-Mar-20 18:32:24

EllanVannin like you I have DGC in Oz thank goodness for Skype and FaceTime! Like you we have a garden so we are lucky. When I feel low I think there's always those worse off then then us.

Hamp75 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:34:15

My husband and I both have respitory problems so were self isolating for the last 2 weeks apart from a couple of necessary trips to the supermarket. Our permanent residence is in France and after hearing Boris speak last week, with his herd immunity strategy that really spooked us as it looks like over 70's are meant to stay isolated until such time as he reaches his 60% target or a cure is found. So we hastily packed up, brought forward our ferry date and high tailed it off the island before the border was closed. We are now in France and in lock down, everything is closed apart from supermarkets, pharmacies and garages and we are only allowed out for one of four reasons and have to carry a paper stating why. But unlike the UK we are all in it together here and it is inevitable that the UK will eventually have to do what is being done in the rest of Europe. Delaying it can only add to the spread and the deaths. In the long term who knows the UK approach might be right but its a huge risk. I sense the Gov are now backing away from that approach but they have lost valuable time.

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:42:55

TrendyNannie6 I could’ve written your post myself.
This afternoon I read a book and sent it to the grandchildren via our Whatsapp group.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 18:51:14

In Australia it's affecting the young and Morrison didn't close everything down so he's getting slated like Boris is here.
Everything should have been grounded immediately then a spread wouldn't have happened. How can something be contained when everyone's all over the place ?

Closing borders etc now is like closing the gate after the horse has bolted ( rolls eyes )

Grandmaclampet Thu 19-Mar-20 18:57:05

Coolgran65 I have phoned her several times but it goes to answer phone and in return I get a text reply of an emoji and x

Yes my son will arrange for us to chat online with the children.

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Mar-20 20:38:52

Sorry for everyone who is upset over not seeing family, and sorry Grandmaclampet, I didn't mean to sound harsh in my earlier post. (Love your name, by the way!)

Sleep well everybody. Night night.