Gransnet forums

Chat

It's Time to issue ration books for food.

(81 Posts)
Grandmaclampet Fri 20-Mar-20 09:32:39

Just read about an ITU nurse who went to buy food after a 12 hour shift to find the shelves empty.
Hoarders are returning time after time and buying up everything.
Frail and elderly unable to get to shops.
Please issue ration books now so that greedy selfish hoarders can not continue.

tickingbird Sat 21-Mar-20 14:17:08

I have just had my Sainsbury's order delivered and it's not bad but no toilet rolls or moist wipes. No ordinary mozzarella only light (which will have to do). No bleach or wipes. Nipped to local corner shop this morning to get some milk and it was already almost gone at 9,.30. One good thing they are limiting the amount people can buy. If a small shop can do it why can't the supermarkets? They're making masses more money than normal so they should be hiring security.

Rufus2 Sun 22-Mar-20 11:10:59

Rufus, Woolworth's are charging $10AUD for a bloomin' lettuce and $9AUD for a cauloflower
Ellan Where are you then? I thought you were in Blighty; or are you quoting prices given to you from family here?
I doubt their accuracy and I certainly wouldn't pay those prices!

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 12:08:41

Can anyone imagine the admin behind trying to get a ration system in place for 60 million people? It would take months, by which time shelves would be restocked.

Pikachu Sun 22-Mar-20 14:12:29

We now have computers Dairy and smart phones. Every could be issued with a code which you scan in at the till. Very simple.

Those few who don’t have them can have a plastic card issued with their code to likewise scan in at the till.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 20:20:14

Talking to friends and family - and I am doing a lot of that at present, I think many of the shortages and totally empty shelves is very much an inner city problem. Talking to people in several areas of England and Glasgow, who live in the suburbs, and smaller towns, while all supermarkets have some shortages, mainly loo paper, in most of them most of the shelves have sufficient stock and are not running out. There is no lack of stock and in the next week or two people will run out of space or money and start living off their hump.

One factor that no one seems to have taken into account is the way shopping habits have changed in recent years. Once, most of us did weekly food shops, but in recent years people have moved more and more back to buying the food they want on a day to day basis and what has been happening, especially this weekend is that people have gone back to buying a weeks groceries so they have bought a week's supply of fruit and vegetables, because they will not be shopping again until next weekend.

Supermarkets will need to change their supply patterns so that they have much more in the shops Thurs - Sat, but less Mon- Wed.