Gransnet forums

Chat

Present for grandchildren

(18 Posts)
rubysong Sat 21-Mar-20 09:32:39

I have just ordered a children's magazine and a geography activity kit for my DGC (10 and 7) homeschooling in California. Hopefully they will be occupied for a while with that. They are missing their school pals.

Lucca Sat 21-Mar-20 07:44:30

Callistemon... that’ll be the teachers getting stick on other threads for having an easy time of it no doubt!

Lucca Sat 21-Mar-20 07:37:31

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

GabriellaG54 Sat 21-Mar-20 00:21:30

I can think of a good kit for growing children...it's a bit expensive and called IVF.
??

MissAdventure Sat 21-Mar-20 00:16:48

They're brine shrimps, I think.
You can get cyclops thingys as well.

They look quite scary.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 00:12:23

I think they're shrimps

(Are they?)

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:56:26

Yikes!!! ????

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:49:06

Can you eat them if the online shop fails to come?
In a stir fry?

MissAdventure Fri 20-Mar-20 23:48:04

Sea monkeys are interesting to hatch and grow.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:39:58

They could make their own wormery to make soil for their plants.
There is a YouTube video, using a large yogurt container.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:34:15

DGD has one of those, I must remind her. Perhaps she will make me some new mats.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:32:56

Mustard and cress is easy and very quick to grow in an empty eggshell with the top cut off. Draw and colour a funny face on the outside and have a family of them sitting in egg-cups. The sprouting cress looks like hair.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:26:23

Thing with growing stuff is that it doesn't occupy for more than the time it takes to plant and then look at once a day.
Here's some photos of the item I mentioned in prev post.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:23:34

Hobbycraft has 'Paint your Own' money boxes, plus ceramic boxes for older girls, animals etc, not expensive. They come with paints and a brush.

GabriellaG54 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:19:44

What about a Knitting Nancy (that's what they used to be called) which is a wooden doll-like thing with hooks on top around which you wind wool and hook with the tool provided. It makes a long knitted snakey thing which emerges from the hole down the centre of the 'doll'.
It can be made into place-mats, toys or anything they like, imagination is key.
I had one but boys might like it too.
Another idea is to use buttons and wool on old socks to make hand puppets with which children can then make a puppet show.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:14:30

Ours like growing sunflowers tomsee see whose is tallest, you could give a prize to encourage them to look after them.
And consolation prizes.

Craft kits, another thread has a link to free books online.

Although DS did say ours have come home with a lot of schoolwork to keep them occupied, the teachers must have been very busy compiling it all.

geekesse Fri 20-Mar-20 23:12:32

Our kids have been sent home with cactus kits. They should have germinated and be ready to transplant into pots by the start of next term. They are sharing pics and comparing notes, and at the end of the year, we’re having a cactus judge coming into school to award prizes.

Lucca Fri 20-Mar-20 23:09:22

Can anybody recommend a good kit for growing things that I could amazon to my grandchildren? doesnt have to be veg necessarily ? And any other good things to keep,them amused