Gransnet forums

Chat

are householders starting to flush news paper down the toilet?

(15 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 21-Mar-20 14:51:25

You'd have thought that with the rush on toilet rolls there'd be no need to use anything else.

Those who didn't realise the need to rush, in time, will have been left without.

Luckily, I have plenty of toilet rolls which I bought on offer when there was no shortage.

If not for that, I could have been one of those caught short.

sevenkidsnotv Sat 21-Mar-20 14:42:24

Not if they have any common sense.
It should not be flushed, it should be kept to one side and disposed of separately.
Either in with your general household waste, not pleasant I know, or put in a metal bucket/ incinerator and burned every week.

joesdadnick Sat 21-Mar-20 14:37:01

problem is most newspapers are c*

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 14:34:29

No it would compost into a gorgeous dry friable compost.

Calendargirl Sat 21-Mar-20 10:54:43

I expect years ago when newspaper was the norm, many people had outside toilets with the long drop, you know, no flush etc. Didn’t matter what went down, it all composted into a ghastly sort of mush I imagine.

Calendargirl Sat 21-Mar-20 10:51:55

DT is £2.80 actually, unless you’re a subscriber!

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 10:50:16

Eazybee gringrin and the magazine would be useless!!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 21-Mar-20 10:35:15

Comment from a weary shelf-stacker yesterday, "No wonder they want so much toilet paper. When they're eating all the food they've panic-bought, they'll need it!"

vampirequeen Sat 21-Mar-20 09:32:55

We used newspaper when I was a child but I doubt that the modern sewage system could deal with it.

gillybob Sat 21-Mar-20 09:30:58

Considering the shelves are now stripped of baby wipes as well as loo rolls I suspect that some idiots will be flushing them down the toilet . Of course it’s not just the culprits drains that get blocked though is it?

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 09:28:27

Gawd, some people. You'd have thought that with the rush on toilet rolls there'd be no need to use anything else. Obsession or what ?

It'll be their problem when it all backs up ! It can cause a build-up of methane when blocked and we all know what that creates.

MattJo Sat 21-Mar-20 09:09:05

I had an email in the last couple of days from Utd Utilities with information about their strategies for coping during this time. This included strong reminder about NOT flushing kitchen roll, wipes or newspaper (stick to the 3 ps). It gives me no satisfaction at all to think that those who do flush these items will find it will all come back and bite them on the bum when their toilets are blocked.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Mar-20 08:07:55

Yes they are unfortunately I saw a notice on fb saying well if I have to wipe my xxxx on kitchen roll of course I ll flush it away and a number of people agreeing
The ignorance and stubbornness of some knows no bounds

eazybee Sat 21-Mar-20 08:05:38

At £2.50 for a copy of the Daily Telegraph, I hope not!

infoman Sat 21-Mar-20 07:47:15

Along with Kitchen roll paper and wet wipes?

According to one of the news items on Saturday morning.

Just hope not