Gransnet forums

Chat

I just put our delivered daily paper in the oven...

(41 Posts)
Witzend Sat 21-Mar-20 09:13:10

...in the hope of killing off any bugs. About 20 mins at 100 deg. fan.
It has come out unscathed.
I would hope that any fiendish little bugs are not.

Cherrytree59 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:43:59

Newspaper are available online.
And are up to date.

Things are changing almost by the minute, so by the time you read your daily newspaper, it is out of date.

Kittye Sat 21-Mar-20 14:48:53

I’ve read the newspaper and turned pages without gloves on, Taken in Mother’s Day flowers and a card. Post from letterbox and to top it all I’ve got supermarket delivery coming tonight. I’m blowed if I’m going to start washing down my shopping. Stop the world I want to get off ?

craftyone Sat 21-Mar-20 14:21:35

I am ditching the outer sheet and giving it a quick read but I have cancelled after today, I am going online instead. That will also help with recycling

Cabbie21 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:21:21

Thanks Curvygran.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:17:17

So many threads are becoming plain stupid I feel like leaving GN until common sense returns. I agree, I have never read such rubbish for yonks.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 21-Mar-20 14:14:04

If I read any more posts like this I am going to become ill............with paranoia ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:02:54

curvygran spot on. May I mention this is called common sense?

tanith Sat 21-Mar-20 14:02:50

You can open the box, arrange the flowers and then put the box to recycling without touching doors, then thorough hand washing, simples.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:02:48

What started me off was a video made by some medics showing how the virus spreads from surface to surface, if care isn’t taken. It was all over the medical notes and went from paper to paper, hand to hand.

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 14:01:21

Cabbie21, open the box , take out the flowers, leave box outside (garage,porch,) then wash your hands! Easy ! No box baking required!

Cabbie21 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:59:00

I have just received a Royal Mail delivery of flowers for Mothering Sunday. The postman rang the bell, left it on the doorstep then retreated to the roadside, waited till I opened the door and waved. Perfect behaviour, but I am still not sure about opening the cardboard box of flowers. I can hardly put them in the oven! Feel I am getting paranoid.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:43:58

Callistemon -quite!

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 13:40:37

If we are self-isolating and haven't got the virus to begin with, I don't see how taps, door handles etc in our own homes can become infected.

Or am I missing something?

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:38:10

I also have heard it all re the newspaper. Why not sit down, read the paper, then discard it and wash your hands?

May I ask generally where has common sense gone- out of the window?

Nandalot Sat 21-Mar-20 13:30:55

What I worry about are the taps. If you turn the taps on with infected fingers, wash hands and then switch taps off surely you hands get reinfected?

rockgran Sat 21-Mar-20 13:21:01

When (if) my online shopping arrives I shall blast it with my steam cleaner. Steam cleaning surfaces seems to work.

Pikachu Sat 21-Mar-20 12:16:31

Yes, Oops it still is purple

Pikachu Sat 21-Mar-20 12:15:57

curvygran to use in my smoking box....make my own hot smoked salmon.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 12:00:56

A friend has been coughing for over a week.

He offered to pop round with a book and some magazines for DH. I asked him not to so he said, ok, he would leave them outside
In the meantime if it rains, it rains, I'm not touching them.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 11:30:14

Is meths still purple?

I think you can ditch the TV times , only repeats nowadays so it won’t matter when you read it.
And once the paper has been popped into the oven for half an hour you’ll be fine, make sure it’s the correct temp though , we don’t want any soggy bottoms!

Witzend Sat 21-Mar-20 11:29:06

To be frank I didn’t really do it for me- I’d just wash hands, etc. but dh is almost permanently glued to his phone/computer/non-stop doom and gloom news, and if you ask me is positively relishing wallowing in it all!
We are being very careful anyway.

So I did it to stop him (I hope) fretting himself about possible bugs on the paper - he spends a lot more time with it than I do.

I hadn’t thought of asking the butler to iron it! Great idea. In the absence of any such person, however, staff being such a tiresome problem nowadays, tomorrow I will get the maid-of-all*-work (aka moi) to do it

*or most of it, anyway.

henetha Sat 21-Mar-20 11:27:59

I had a newspaper and a tv guide delivered on Wednesday and put them into quarantine and have only read them this morning. Is this sensible, or bonkers?

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 11:19:25

Greyduster we can be reassured that lunacy is never far below the surface gringrin

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 11:18:18

Meths at Christmas? To drink ??Or for a delicious fondue ? I’m intrigued.

Pikachu Sat 21-Mar-20 11:02:05

I have a big bottle of meths left over from Christmas so I’m wiping surfaces down with that. Smells nice too.