Gransnet forums

Chat

Medication stock

(21 Posts)
midgey Sun 22-Mar-20 13:40:14

Due to people ordering ahead my DH is short of his medication. Similar to food stockpiling, there is enough for everyone but only if we are sensible.

Willow500 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:24:30

My meds and my husband's are all due at different times so we only have about 2 weeks left of some - he just orders his online (one lot arrived in the post yesterday) and my pharmacy has an app I use. I do have to go down and collect it when it's ready but the chemist is a standalone which is never usually busy so I probably will continue to do that.

ninathenana Sun 22-Mar-20 13:22:59

I heard that you cannot have a repeat of more than a month at a time now. Don't know how true that is.
I usually have 8 wks a time

Calendargirl Sun 22-Mar-20 13:18:08

Was chatting to a friend this morning who is a dispenser at the GP surgery, (standing several feet away from each other).
She said two colleagues were in tears last week because of obnoxious people demanding 3 months worth of prescriptions instead of 1. As she said, as long as people accept their normal requirements, all ok, but it’s like panic buying in the shops, if everyone had extra then the pharmacies would run short and some folk would not get their medication.
Don’t be greedy and selfish, just accept your normal amount.

BlueSky Sun 22-Mar-20 13:01:25

I've just put my repeats in and thought I should have done it earlier but if you are too early your prescription don't get done at all! I'm hoping they might give you a 2 months'worth perhaps but the chemist said there were no changes they were aware of.

Charleygirl5 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:41:59

Please check locally because where I live in NW London some pharmacies are closing down so people who have drugs transferred from the surgery electronically are now having to find another pharmacy. Boots has closed to give you an idea.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:36:53

EllanVannin I’m not talking about stockpiling I’m on steroids and sometimes have to up the dose if I have a flare, so I’m thinking of those more than other meds

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 15:36:51

I'm the same Sparklefizz but I'm afraid you've got to do as you're told. Mine are lifelong, especially the warfarin.

I have to also make allowances for the lengths of different months---30 days/31 days----good job I've still got me marbles !

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:18:20

Oh Daisy that’s terrible. Once we are settled on a medication we get 56 days - these variations are completely ridiculous.

Greenfinch Sat 21-Mar-20 15:17:51

Just enough for this month except for Warfarin whereI have to have a supply of different strengths in case the dosage changes after my fortnightly blood test.

Daisymae Sat 21-Mar-20 15:15:44

Yes, we get 28 days worth. I have trying to contact th surgery but no luck at the moment. Thinking of reducing the dose if things get desperate

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:14:09

On my online form, you can complete a box at the end as to why you need it earlier - usually fir holidays I suppose but I could also ask for it earlier in these circs - it depends how long it is now taking for the request to be processed and dispensed. Why are there so many different systems? <sigh>

FlexibleFriend Sat 21-Mar-20 15:05:59

My online repeats have a due date and anything requested prematurely is always rejected.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 14:54:59

Oh dear Sparkle what a shortsighted surgery. Do you order online? Last year when I had another medication added, I asked the surgery to readjust the dates so that all medications are in alignment. It was a couple of clicks for them to do it and they said how that saved everyone’s time.

Sparklefizz Sat 21-Mar-20 14:46:20

My prescriptions are all due at different times, but I thought ahead and requested some of them 10 days early with a message explaining that I was putting in an early request due to Coronavirus. I was not allowed to have them and now I have to put in another request next week and go through the whole collection process again.

It seems very shortsighted to me, and the meds I was requesting are things I will be taking for life and which I have been taking for years, so it's all on my records.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 14:16:28

63 days. I do wonder if doctors might consider prescribing for longer with stable patients - it cuts everyone’s work down by doing this.

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 13:40:27

We're not allowed to stock medication here. I just email the surgery exactly what I need and the pharmacist delivers it.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:32:03

This is what I’m thinking,

FlexibleFriend Sat 21-Mar-20 13:27:03

I've got a couple of months worth but only because I've cut back on the amount taken and my prescription hasn't changed. Also with my blood thinning jabs for some reason my prescription is for 50 every month but I'm only supposed to take one a day which I do. Trouble is they are quite bulky to store.
I don't think we'll be expected to keep more than usual.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:24:49

So I’m thinking we should be fine

TrendyNannie6 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:21:41

How much meds stock have you got? I’ve got 22 days worth my Dh 28, we haven’t been advised from our drs to ask for anymore,