Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a favourite mug?

(33 Posts)
NanKate Sat 21-Mar-20 15:18:22

I have a lovely small mug I bought at the Ashmolean Museum Shop in Oxford which I use for a good strong Italian coffee.

I have a number of Art Deco style mugs for my tea.

In the morning I have a Moutain Warehouse tin mug to keep the tea warm.

I have some smart mugs if visitors come.

What about you ?

JackyB Mon 23-Mar-20 07:11:37

We have quite a few souvenir mugs, some from the kids' universities, and many from Christmas markets.

I don't know if it's the same on Christmas markets in the UK but if you buy cocoa, punch or mulled wine in Germany, you pay a deposit on the mug. You get it refunded on return, but we have often kept them. It is actually not quite legal but some of them have not only "Weihnachtsmarkt (Name of town) " on them, with a picture of the town's main landmark or logo, but also the year!

We have Heidelberg, Ulm, Bonn, Mannheim, Speyer, Augsburg.

None are singled out for a particular drink or time of day, though, or even a particular person.

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 05:40:21

I bought this mug a few years ago at Whittakers Tea and Coffee shop on The Strand (when we still travelled overseas).

Used it for morning latte not for two previous cups of tea though, until one day OH noticed it had a fine crack.sad

Daughter also loved this as she has a black and a ginger cat.

Tried to buy another on line but no luck

Relegated to a hook in the corner just for looks now.

sodapop Sun 22-Mar-20 17:13:58

Made me chuckle Beechnut sounds like my daughter.

I don't like thick mugs either, I have a china one with different breeds of dog on it which is my favourite.

CherryCezzy Sun 22-Mar-20 16:40:00

My favourite mug to drink coffee out of is my "strawberry thief" bone china mug and my favourite to drink tea out of is my china mug with the words "sunshine, friends and laughter always welcome" but my out & out favourite is a china mug with the words "my mind not only wonders ... sometimes it leaves completely" on it. It's my favourite mug because it is actually true. I can't use it to drink from because the handle broke off but I couldn't bear to part with it so now it's on the sill in the downstairs bathroom with a plant in it.

NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 15:47:13

I am glad you are enjoying the thread Nana3. I have a special large mug that belonged to my favourite Auntie.

Gagajo my son writes for Penguin Books and they gave him a Penguin mug however he doesn’t drink hot drinks so he just puts pencils in it. When life returns to normal you should be able to get an extra mug from Waterstones.

Gulligranny it will be good when we can meet up in JL again for a coffee in one of their white cups and saucers. ☕️☕️

Nana3 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:44:22

All my mugs are my favourites, my cupboard is full of them. I buy them at concerts, on holiday and days out. I have one I made myself and some from my parents house. Every cuppa has a memory.
Visitors have their own plain matching mugs, mmm that must say something about me ?!
Nice thread NanKate.

jdga Sun 22-Mar-20 03:12:38

Oh yes, I thought it was just me who did that, lol.
(& I change out the “visitor use” ones for Summer, Autumn & Christmas themes - the mug cupbrd is quite crowded, lol)

GagaJo Sat 21-Mar-20 23:16:59

I have Penguin Books mugs that I LOVE but won't use while my daughter is living with me. She's a bull in a China shop and would have them chipped, if not broken within no time, given the opportunity.

For daily use, I have a couple of mugs painted by my grandson, with handprints and daubing on them. They're nice and big, but light and hold lots of tea.

gulligranny Sat 21-Mar-20 22:20:06

We have small Cath Kidston flowery mugs for tea and (instant) coffee throughout the day. We have two beautiful bone china mugs we bought at the Royal Doulton museum in Ironbridge for our "real" coffee, and I have a large mug for when I want a lot of tea; it's got mad alien cats in bright colours all around it.
All of these have somewhat delicate handles, DH doesn't like chunky ones.

Namsnanny Sat 21-Mar-20 22:14:49

Porcelain mug of a certain shape (bulbus, to hold in the heat) with a nice thin rim. My tea tastes lovely in it!

But...…..my nearest and dearest has a habit of dropping them, so I'm finding it harder and harder to resist poking him in the ribs!

Harris27 Sat 21-Mar-20 22:03:18

This reminds me of my dmil she used to have a China large mug for breakfast and as the day got longer the mugs got smaller and always china!

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Mar-20 22:02:40

I have a mug which my mother bought me. On the side it says “Coffee drinkers make better lovers”. I’ve never been sure why she bought it for me!

GabriellaG54 Sat 21-Mar-20 21:54:40

No.

NanKate Sat 21-Mar-20 20:10:28

I wonder if anyone uses a cup and saucer anymore ☕️

Pantglas2 Sat 21-Mar-20 19:15:03

GG13 - u minx wink

Lilypops Sat 21-Mar-20 19:06:11

Rosenoir, I liked your post about taking your fVourite mug to your daughter when you go to stay , we do too as both of my daughters have thick , big mugs , we hate them the mugs that is ,,!,

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-Mar-20 19:00:09

Yes I do...........GrandpaGravy grin

JuliaM Sat 21-Mar-20 18:48:13

I have an unusual shaped hexegon mug with an oriental flower pattern on the side. I bought it many years ago in the early 1990s whilst touring Devon, but l cannot remember exactly where from. It was left at my workplace for a couple of years and used by visitors when l was off duty some days, but still survived without damage. Its fairly tough porcelain material, and has been through the dish washer hundreds of times without fading!

We have many other mugs in the cupboard, all shapes and sizes, but by far this one is my favourite!

supergirlsnan Sat 21-Mar-20 18:43:01

I have one that sounds like Quizqueens pyrex one. It's over 20 years old and I use it all day every day. Tea tastes so much better in it! My daughter tries to use it too, but i usually manage to stop her. I hate black mugs/cups, can't drink from one at all.

Pantglas2 Sat 21-Mar-20 18:32:57

Chamberpot of strong wake up tea first thing (preferably lolling abed) then large China mug of coffee twice before lunchtime.

I then become all ladylike and turn to a smaller more delicate bone china mug for tea in the afternoon/evening.

The above drives DH mad as he uses same mug all day for everything!

Beechnut Sat 21-Mar-20 17:11:24

I’m like Calendargirl. A mug for different drinks etc.
After hearing me so many times requesting a certain mug my daughter said to me one day “Mum, it’s 20 past 10, what mug do you have?”

TwiceAsNice Sat 21-Mar-20 17:00:53

I have a favourite mug bought for me by my daughter and use it every day

Sussexborn Sat 21-Mar-20 16:59:17

I go for the china mugs first especially for tea. We still have a Charles & Di mug that was given to the children at school. Also a mug with the QM on it that came from my Dad’s flat when it was being cleared. Presumably it was given to him but I never heard him mention the RF.

quizqueen Sat 21-Mar-20 16:42:50

I'm still using mugs I had as a wedding present in 1976! They were a gift from a friend we met on a holiday in Rimini the year before. They are like pyrex, white with small red or blue flowers, and can go in the microwave- better than any other mugs I've acquired since but, sadly, I've broken 3 from the set. Maybe that person will recognise herself if she is a gransnetter!

rosenoir Sat 21-Mar-20 16:29:49

I have a large Cath Kidson for tea and a small bone china royal albert for coffee, I take them with me if I am stopping at my daughters for any length of time.