Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(71 Posts)
12Michael Sun 22-Mar-20 06:21:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a blue sky start here in Brackley this morning.
Today for me have another fry up breakfast, I only used to have these in a cafe in Buckingham about once a month on Saturdays.
Then Lunch , Steak & Kidney Pie plus Chips and Peas.
The Pie is made locally as we have a pie shop in the town, I usually by a small one as it lasts me 2 days , nice and meaty.
They are made on premises and sometimes when they are cooking and wind is right direction a nice wiff in the air.
Then watch last years bike racing repeats on Eurosport.
Mick

mancgirl Sun 22-Mar-20 08:06:17

Good morning from a sunny Manchester. Ds1 dropped a food delivery off for us yesterday. It included 2 bottles of wine and a pack of Guinness! Mr Manc was in the garden in the afternoon when ds1 returned to drink the Guinness in the garden with his dad. What a performance. At least 6 metres apart. One on a bench the other at the garden table. They had marked out a safe area with branches that couldn't be crossed. When he was leaving we all got a branch each and instead of a hug we crossed the long branches together ? good job we have a big garden. Expecting both sons to turn up today to sit and have a mother's day drink in the no go area. Will facetime the little ones. They won't understand the no go area! Have the best day you can. Will be a very different mother's day for a lot of us.

Curlywhirly Sun 22-Mar-20 08:08:46

Good morning from a bright, sunny Cheshire. A happy Mothers' Day to you all. Back in bed with a cuppa after feeding the dog. Called in to see our friends yesterday, (with their permission!) who are over 70 and self isolating. We met them in their garden, no hugs or kisses, sat outside at a distance and had a cuppa with them. We are all keeping busy at home and discussed how we all still have plenty of those jobs to do that we have been avoiding for years!

Glad to hear that Marydoll feels better today after resting yesterday. Hope you all have a lovely, though very different Mothers' Day, spoil yourselves and soak up that lovely sunshine. Xxx

Sark Sun 22-Mar-20 08:16:20

Happy Mother's Day from Oxfordshire
Lazing in bed with a mug of tea and some toast...my DH is a star!
Hope everyone has the best day they can in these surreal times
Stay safeflowers

Gingster Sun 22-Mar-20 08:17:13

Another bright but very breezy start to the day . Still icy cold in the wind but so lovely to see the sun. The sea here in Suffolk has been very choppy for a few days now so lots of photographers about . The gorse bushes along the beach are still golden and glowing in the sunshine. As they warm up they smell of coconut, and it’s glorious to walk among them. Happy mother’s day to all us lovely mums. ????

Grammaretto Sun 22-Mar-20 08:17:18

Good morning from this strange new world we are all in.
Very sunny here in the Scottish Borders. I didn't venture beyond my garden gate yesterday.
I hope the DC will phone at some stage. I have had a card with instructions to open with a knife as the virus can live for 48hrs and DS is delivering medical supplies.
I got a bit weepy last night feeling sorry for myself all of us unaccustomed to this isolation and I have DH so am not alone but he's more depressed than I have seen him in a long time. He'll drop flowers (picked from the garden) at his mum's door.
Thank goodness for GN and whatsapp and the phone.
Take care and stay safe .ie: no breaking limbs falling off ladders or tripping over the dog!

Lins1066 Sun 22-Mar-20 08:32:35

Good Morning Mick and all from a bright and cold S Welsh coast. Our little town was rammed yesterday, so many people it was like a Bank Holiday and certainly no social distancing.
We have a beef casserole for later today, looking forward to that.
Thinking of my late mother and mil today.
A Happy Mothering Sunday.
Annie these are for you ?

moggie Sun 22-Mar-20 08:45:56

Good morning Mick & all from sunny Nottingham, hope it’s a bit warmer than y’day.
Enjoying my 2nd cup of tea in bed.
Happy mother’s day all flowers
Glad you’re feeling better today Marydoll
Take care everyone & have a good day.

Taichinan Sun 22-Mar-20 08:47:40

Good morning everyone! On here much earlier today. It's a hazy sunny day on the Angus coast, but chilly of course. NfkDumoling we all know what galvanised isolators are. Of course we do, because isn't that all of us ?. Glad you're feeling better today Marydoll. It occurred to me too that I'm not going to be able to get to the garden centre to plant up tubs this year. Sad. My organiser has just pinged to remind me that DD and I are to go out for lunch today, but as we snatched those lovely couple of hours on Friday, I'm cool with it (as the GDs would say!). Funny how different our offspring can be - I have two who are punctilious about remembering every occasion and one who more often than not comes up with Oooops! But a message on the day is just as precious. Mick your cooked breakfast has my mouth watering so I think I shall have egg and bacon instead of my usual meusli this morning - I am so easily led astray!'. Now this isolator must get galvanised to get in with the routine of a day in isolation. I'm not sure what that is yet, but no doubt it will evolve. Chin up everybody - we can do this! ?? to all x

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 08:54:49

Good morning everybody, sunny with a slight breeze in Oxfordshire and pretty chilly.
FaceTiming DDs today, but DD2 did pop by with a card and some chocolate yesterday threw both into a carrier bag that I put on the step, I made her turn her back to me then popped my gloves on and hugged her from behind....... she’s taller than me so I didn’t touch much of her, but it helped!.
Nothing planned today, except to clear some old buddlia branches and chop them for the garden waste bins.
Hope everybody has a good day, special thoughts for those with worries and stress.

Grandmafrench Sun 22-Mar-20 09:05:58

Happy Mother’s Day Everyone ?
Marydoll your DH’s card.....priceless. See? He knows how to get the ? laughs!
Beautiful day here on the Med’ but chilly wind off the mountains. A reading and roasting and baking day today, I think. I’m dreaming and planning now for the time when we can start to rebuild after this horror. Our lockdown will probably carry on until the end of April which makes me feel a bit panicky. ? But we can’t become another Italy - so we must shut up, stay in and pull ourselves together and think about a future. Ours is going to start with a massive celebration....a street party perhaps, when all is safe again. Until then we must keep buggering on, as Winston said. Stay well everyone - and keep smiling. ?????

vena11 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:06:59

Happy Mothers Day from a sunny Bristol.
I was supposed to visit DD this week she is two hours drive away and spend Mothers day with her DSiI and DGS2 but of course we had to cancel. Missing the little one so much he is only 22 months and such a gem,they grow up so fast and I am sad that I am missing out. Everyone is sad today but there is next year God willing .
Have to stop this feeling sorry for myself, just not like me,the sun is shining and I want to wish everyone a nice day and happy thoughts .flowers for everyone

Nannytopsy Sun 22-Mar-20 09:08:52

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It sunny here in Suffolk too ? and yesterday it was warm on the patio but chilly elsewhere. I did lots of planting yesterday and I’m hoping to do some more today.
My mother insisted the it was Mothering Sunday not Mother’s Day and sometimes it was difficult to get those words on a card. I had a bit of a moment this year as I walked past a whole display of them.
DS has said he doesn’t want us in supermarkets, but we are pretty well stocked. He is going to the NHS hour at our supermarket this morning. I do hope it is enforced, along with the elderly and vulnerable slots. If people can’t behave, they must be taught what is expected of them.

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 09:11:51

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

conor Sun 22-Mar-20 09:12:05

Good morning from a bright, sunny Essex. Another day in isolation but DS has promised to bring DGC for a car chat later. DS came yesterday with a few shopping items and he left them on the doorstep and quickly retreated to his car. We did start to have a nice chat when a (thoughtful!) neighbour decided on some very loud DIY drilling. DS said he planned it so he couldn't hear me talking! ?
DD is availing of early shop for NHS as she was in tears the other day when shelves were empty. I do hope people come to their senses soon.
Marydoll great to hear you so upbeat after your upsetting week. Please keep us all upbeat with you!
Wishing everyone a happy virtual Mothers Day xxx

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 09:27:16

Good Morning All x.
Lovely and sunny and bright--which helps ! So it calls for some washing to be done.
What strange times these are. I wake in the morning oblivious to the outside world until I turn on the news and there it all is for another day.

Not sure of the family situation at present, whether working or not though don't always see them on Mother's Day. I'll get phone-calls that's for sure which is fine by me. My step/GD is a nurse and speaking to her mum on the phone the other day, she's stressed out working nights on a ward for the mentally ill and had to ask her mother if she had any bread to spare !

Last two M&S lamb chops ( end of the world ) to do today for my dinner so I'll make the most of them----but I won't eat the fat ! Cauli and new pots, that'll keep me going. Could whip up a quick blackcurrant sponge pud using up the jam. I'll be picking seeds out of my teeth for the rest of the day grin

Marydoll I had to smile about your DH's card, but the thought was there smile Glad you're feeling brighter x
Stay safe and well everyone I know you're all abiding by the rules which is so very wise no matter what/who you're missing I don't think it matters more than your own health and well-being.

Must get the washing on the go now while the going's good weatherwise so take extra care everyone and just enjoy the day if you have this glorious sunshine, albeit slightly chilly xx

NannyJan53 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:29:09

Good Morning from a bright and sunny Black Country, where the birds are singing and all seems right with the world, until I remember!

Obviously our planned family get together at DD's is off. We cancelled this over a week ago.

Hopefully today we can make a start in the garden, tidying up and cutting the grass.

Urmston, it is a difficult decision isn't it? You may find it is made for you. Hope you are both well flowers

Glad to hear you are feeling better Marydoll especially after the upsetting week you have had flowers

Wishing you all the best day you can have

Urmstongran Sun 22-Mar-20 09:29:21

We are watching the ducks swimming in the big communal pool in the gardens. One flew up and was waddling around the perimeter, then stopped to rootle under its feathers. Cue one of the garden cats .... creeping ever nearer. ‘Oh come on duck’ I began to be anxious these cats can be so quick. The duck looked over. The cat was so near, I thought ‘it’s going to pounce’ .... then the duck just plopped back into the pool. Phew!!

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 09:33:48

Could have been your next meal Urmstongran grin

gillybob Sun 22-Mar-20 09:34:19

Good morning and. Happy Mother’s Day from the North East coast.

Yesterday I managed to get a few bits for my dad and his neighbour and dropped them off along with a pile of DVD’s and a couple of good books . I don’t know how we will manage as a family if I have to self isolate any time soon.

Today I count myself very lucky to be meeting DD and the baby to go for a little walk and maybe enjoy some fish and chips outside .

Thinking of my lovely Gransnet friends and wishing us all some much needed sunshine

Love Gillybob xx

Feelingmyage55 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:55:01

Good morning and hello to a strange Mothering Sunday. Our church is going to live stream a service so we will be together virtually although there will be no communion. I am not sure.yet how it will work, if we can hear one another. I’ve invited my family for a virtual afternoon tea with an amazing virtual spread! Virtual calories ?
? to you all. I know it is a day of sadness for some of you. I find it sad to not be seeing my mum, MIL and all the grandmas. I value the things I learnt from them.

BladeAnnie Sun 22-Mar-20 09:55:07

Good morning all from a bright and sunny mid-Notts. Hope we all have a happy mother's day - albeit very different from what we would choose. Sending virtual hugs x

Charleygirl5 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:12:41

Good morning all- it is sunny but cold in NW London. Please be aware all because I am sure it is not my neck of the woods where this is happening but locally Romanians have been seen in local stores (Waitrose) lifting purses and rifling bags. Here it was a group of around 7 with 2-3 gorgeous little children. When security was on the case they just moved to a couple of more stores next door. They apparently were seen to be specifically targeting the elderly and infirm and mainly at the till queue. Beware.

Taichinan Sun 22-Mar-20 10:26:01

Just popped back in to thank you for your breakfast idea Mick. I just so enjoyed my bacon and egg! So very "Sunday" and I don't know when I last had that ?

Auntieflo Sun 22-Mar-20 10:41:42

Good morning Michael, Annie and all. flowers for Annie.
It is sunny here, but the wind is cold.
I had a lovely brown egg, in a blue and white striped egg cup, with toast, for my breakfast this morning. So tasty.
As usual I have been pootling and faffing, so am late to say hello.
The jigsaw, on a table by the window doesn't help. It is so tempting to sit down and search for a few pieces.
Had a Face Time with DD yesterday. Our grandson is at home with them now, so he was a bonus to chat to.
As this is such an uncertain time for us all, I sent e- cards to DD and both DIL's, telling them what great mums they all are.
I love the sound of all the goodies that you are having for supper tonight. I had planned on steak, onions, mushrooms and chips/ jacket potato. But since reading about Greyduster's, Boeuf Stroganoff, I could make that instead, and it will make the steak go further. grin.
Glad to hear that you are feeling better today Marydoll, and that Gillybob sounds more upbeat . Enjoy tour walk in the fresh air with DD and little Evie. Gilly we have the sun here, but do need it to be a bit warmer.
Just across the road, there is a bush with such bright orange berries, that when the sun catches it, it glows like fire. It is beautiful.
At the moment DH has some favourite hymns on, and it makes missing Church a bit easier.
Take care and stay safe everyone, and enjoy your day.

Charleygirl5 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:59:49

You are all discussing eggs- what is an egg please?