Gransnet forums

Chat

I think my right to gather seaweed would take precedence over that of the queen[smile]

(48 Posts)
fatgran57 Sun 22-Mar-20 07:42:17

A couple of days ago I mentioned that I had been to the beach (here in Tasmania) and brought home some seaweed for the garden and a few rocks for my pots.

I was chastised for doing this by another gransnetter who informed me this was not legal and further on wrote that the seaweed belonged to the Queen.

As a direct descendant of Mannalargenna, an esteemed Tasmanian aboriginal tribal chief I feel my right to gather seaweed trumps that of the Queen!

As the aboriginal people were here for over 40,000 years before white invasion I think we would have first dibs on the seaweed!

BlueBelle Mon 23-Mar-20 08:51:30

Whoop whoop fatgran for queen of Tasmania
I love it we have a tractor go up and down the beach cleaning it and if there’s a bank of stones clearing it to keep it beautifully clear so I m just helping everso slightly with the odd lovely rock (stones really) transplanting to my garden I love the pure white chalky ones or the crystal sparkly ones
my pockets are only small so an odd one or two only and no bigger than my fist at most
Erosion is bad in my part of the woods but not by anyone taking a few pebbles it’s by dredging and digging up for commercial projects etc and of course climate change
GO GRAN GO

Anniebach Mon 23-Mar-20 08:32:22

The Male members of the royal family surname is
Mountbatten Windsor .

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:19:52

"Mrs Windsor " Paddyanne love it!

Just read this interesting article I'm digressing but it is about RF ownership.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cornwall-51960855

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 08:07:26

Old Goat, it isn't, but similar to the one we had, when we lived in Troon many years ago! Troon of course is on the coast. wink
We didn't have a JCB, but a pram is a good alternative!

Davidhs Mon 23-Mar-20 07:37:38

All countries would have laws to protect the environment, including coasts, they are there to prevent commercial exploitation. So you can’t turn up with a JCB and a fleet of trucks or even take a trailer load of sand for your sand pit at home but nobody is going to stop you taking home a pocket full of pebbles.

The OP may well have aboriginal rights to seaweed, that would depend on the size of her garden and of course how many others want to take seaweed.

MamaCaz Mon 23-Mar-20 07:36:49

Does all the crap rubbish that washes up on the beaches also belong to the Queen?
If so, it's time she did some serious litter-picking! grin

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:36:34

Thanks mary51 I love my frogs but good heavens they are noisy at night. OH is rather deaf and can't hear them but I have excellent hearing and they drive me mad sometimes.

We also have bandicoots in the garden and the holes they dig are so deep . If only they would replace the divots!

We hear kookaburras down the back some mornings they always make me smile with their laughter.

For a while we had a little wallaby in the yard, he frightened the wits out of me jumping out of the shrubbery.

This is in town on a normal quarter acre block and don't get me started on the blessed possums smile

oldgoat Mon 23-Mar-20 07:34:38

Is that your back garden marydoll ?

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:26:13

Haha Marydoll those are beautiful rocks. If only!

The crime was a bit heinous but worth it!

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 07:02:54

Fatgran, I had visions of huge rocks, similar to ones like this.
Not the heinous crime I quite imagined! grin.

mary51 Mon 23-Mar-20 06:41:58

I read Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes a few years ago. A brilliant read about transportation crime and punishment. Shocking in parts but quite gripping.

Excuse lack of commas above. Doing this on phone not keyboard!

mary51 Mon 23-Mar-20 06:26:25

Just looked up your family fatgran. That's really interesting. And I wonder what's happened to our garden frog. Your other post reminded me.

Anyway best wishes to all down under!!

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 02:56:10

A picture of some of my illegal stones grin

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 22:41:47

fatgran I wish I was on Bruny Island right now

A good place to isolate, I would think!

fatgran57 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:53:44

Marydoll we younger generation have known from around the 1970's.

The older ones knew but it had to be a very well kept secret as having black ancestry was very much a shameful thing then.

You had to hide it as you would not be accepted in normal society.

When one of my aunts by marriage found out she said she would have not married my uncle had she known and she was completely serious.

Thankfully as time went by we became very proud of this part of our heritage.

It has now become as popular to have aboriginal ancestors as it is to have convict ones!!! People in Australia LOVE to have convict ancestors - strange isn't it.

I probably have both including Irish and English.

Kindest regards to you.

Cherrytree59 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:34:55

For years seaweed (Vraic) has been used as a fertilizer for growing Jersey Royals (potatoes).

The seaweed (Vraic) is only allowed to be collected by agricultural vehicles Monday to Friday.

The seaweed must have been wash ashore and dead.
It is illegal to harvest the live
seaweed.

However most JR growers now use artificial fertilizer, which is probably why imho the Jersey Royals of today, don't have quite the same taste/flavour that they once had.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 20:51:35

Fatgran, I did Google. What an interesting family history.
Did you always know you were descended from Mannalargenna or did you research your family history and find out?

paddyanne Sun 22-Mar-20 20:45:44

I dont understand why anyone would believe that Lizzie should own all the seaweed in your country or any other .Its a lot of subservient nonsense.Mrs Windsor or whatever her name was before they changed it to a made up one is no better than any of us.She is however the very definition of entitlement .She THINKS its so so she believes it and therefor it is .Its YOUR seaweed and your swans too she's an irrelevence .Your people were there long before hers.

fatgran57 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:34:54

Haha vampirequeen and thanks for all your responses people smile

Yes I was posting a light hearted thread but the bit about my ancestry was true.

Mannalergenna's daughter Woretermoeteyenner had a daughter Mary Ann, her daughter was Dolly Dalrymple and Dolly's daughter Emma Jane was my grandfather's mother. Phew.

Please google to see I am telling the truth.

Hope you are all keeping well, we are self isolating here in our home in Wynyard.

vampirequeen Sun 22-Mar-20 14:24:15

Don't worry about it fatgran. I get chastised all the time on here especially where the queen is involve grin

SueDonim Sun 22-Mar-20 13:28:18

I bet that was an interesting talk, Parsley! It’s such an unusual book.

Parsley3 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:50:49

I have read this book and also attended a talk by the author. Both interesting and enjoyable if you like something completely different.

SueDonim Sun 22-Mar-20 12:44:18

Small quantities for personal use can be gathered but I think Fatgran can be allowed a prior claim to it! www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/what-we-do/on-the-seabed/coastal/seaweed-harvesting/

There’s a dispute over seaweed (honest!) in this rather good book by Graeme Macrae Burnet. www.theguardian.com/books/2016/aug/12/his-bloody-project-by-graeme-macrae-burnet-review

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 11:29:58

I don't see anyone being grumpy, apart from Fatgran, at the person who felt the need to pull her up. confused

That's the problem when you can't see facial expressions, a statement can be taken in different ways and sometimes misunderstood.

Izabella Sun 22-Mar-20 10:35:38

I love Tasmania. Been several times. Excellent emergency health care too - nuff said.