Gransnet forums

Chat

Belly laughs

(107 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:43:55

It would be good to hear what makes you laugh out loud a really belly laugh.
I used to belly laugh out loud while reading the Herriot series myDh laughs out loud at certain tv programmes which I don’t find funny at all. Compo etc

callgirl1 Mon 06-Apr-20 17:18:42

Morecambe and Wise, Mrs. Brown`s Boys, Dave Allen.

Bikerhiker Mon 06-Apr-20 14:56:45

Gavin and Stacey
Peter Kay
Father Ted

BradfordLass73 Mon 06-Apr-20 03:08:39

Hardly any of the TV series which seem to corpse others, even make me smile.

I couldn't even watch Last of the Summer Wine after the first couple of episodes, it was so un-funny it made me cringe.

Fawlty Towers also curls me up as I absolutely HATE to see people in discomfort or acute embarrassment.

I've lost several friends because I deplore their schadenfreude; how can anyone laugh at another's pain?

Peter Kay is just about the only comedian who consrstently makes me laugh, as did Morecambe and Wise. On radio, the Beyond our Ken and Round the Horne series were wonderful.

Although I don't like the nasty way he talks about fat people, with absolutely no justificaton for his dislike, Bill Bryson can be very funny.

susieq3 Sun 05-Apr-20 23:19:51

Freddie star. Bradley Walsh on the chase and Not going out.

Laughterlines Wed 25-Mar-20 13:04:02

Lancslass1 I have never watched it because the trailers put me off.

I love just William read by that smarmy Martin Jarvis. It always makes me laugh as did the books when I was a girl (in the olden days)

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Mar-20 12:42:05

How about this one...
Does anyone want to buy 100 scotch eggs and 50 bite size sausage rolls? I misread the headlines and thought everyone was picnic buying!

timetogo2016 Wed 25-Mar-20 12:29:31

Me and dh laugh out loud all the time.
We have the same sense of humour.
The most recent was a woman was trying to put shopping in the boot of her car and the trolley started rolling away whilst her back was turned.
When she turned around her face was a picture and yes she to laughed out loud.

TwinLolly Wed 25-Mar-20 12:23:39

Grannynannywanny ? Brilliant!

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Mar-20 10:33:59

I laughed out loud at this advice notice my son sent me..
They said a mask and gloves were enough to go to Tesco. They lied...I did that this morning and everyone else had clothes on!

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Mar-20 09:56:23

Well that made me laugh out loud, Eloethan. smile

Eloethan Tue 24-Mar-20 00:01:24

Seeing meniton of your Mum Witzend reminded me of my Mum who, when she was younger, often made me fall about laughing due to her habit of getting words wrong.

We were having a discussion about childcare one day when she said, indignantly:

"It's all right for people who are very well off, they can just put their children in a quiche."

Witzend Mon 23-Mar-20 19:54:28

Mention of Notes From A Small Island reminded me of my mother, gone several years now. Shortly after she started reading it she started laughing so helplessly, she cried - it went on for ages.

Another thing that made her laugh like that was a Royle Family Christmas special. To set her off again dds only had to say, ‘Y’all right there, Nanna?’ in the right accent, which they had off to a T.

Norah1955 Mon 23-Mar-20 19:18:50

Dinner ladies

Kim19 Mon 23-Mar-20 18:43:08

Butterflies always did it for me. Have a fond memory of that show.

Parsley3 Mon 23-Mar-20 18:17:31

Friday Night Dinner
Derry Girls
Not Going Out
HIGNFY
Frasier
Still Game
Burniston
Upstart Crow

All of the above make me laugh out loud.

TerriBull Mon 23-Mar-20 18:11:23

Also love "Would I Lie to You" and HIGNFY

TerriBull Mon 23-Mar-20 18:07:04

I've only just got into "This Country" and still have series 2 and 3 to see, the episode where the vicar started a book club, had us both on the floor haven't laughed so much at anything on the telly for ages.

Eloethan Mon 23-Mar-20 17:37:00

Michael McIntyre - He's apparently seen as "lightweight" by some comedians but I love his take on the small absurdities of human behaviour

Stewart Leigh
Billy Connolly
Sarah Pascoe
Jack Dee

TV
The Andre Previn sketch in Morecambe & Wise - Previn was so brilliant keeping a straight face throughout

Armstrong & Miller - especially the two ladies running a tea shop sketches

Fawlty Towers

Mike Leigh screenplays: Grown Ups (my favourite); Abigail's Party

I must have a very childish streak because I got the box set of Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em for my grandchildren and found I laughed almost as much as they did. Chuckle at (my grandson's choice) of Dirty Bertie books.

Books
Bill Bryson - Notes from a Small Island; The Road to Little Dribbling
Lissa Evan
Crooked Heart; Old Baggage
Joshua Ferris
Then we came to the End
Sarah Winman
When God was a Rabbit

Jellaway Mon 23-Mar-20 15:52:31

The Royle Family

Gemini17892 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:38:03

Lancslass. I’m another one who can’t stand Mrs Brown’s boys. Not that I’ve watched a whole one. Just caught the end. Husband said ‘ you won’t like it ‘. It does take a lot to make me laugh though. Don’t think I’m a miserable person but ...

GreenGran78 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:20:54

My late husband had boxed sets of all his favourite comedy series. He watched them repeatedly and endlessly, until I felt like attacking him and forcibly removing the remote. After he died I gave some to our local Hospice, but kept quite a few, thinking that, one day, I might need them myself. That day, I suspect, has now arrived.
I will dig them out and cheer myself up with a good laugh, and the recollection of him sitting in his chair, doing likewise.

annodomini Mon 23-Mar-20 11:10:20

Am I the only person who cannot stand Mrs Brown’s boys?

Can't stand it. I saw one episode while visiting family and that was more than enough. Maybe I'm missing something, but so be it.
I enjoy Would I Lie to You; Have I Got News For You and The Last Leg. I mourn the loss of Dermot Morgan as the amiable Father Ted.

Rufus2 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:08:17

"Only Fools and Horses" gets high marks here, I'm glad to see, yet it's never taken off in Australia. Endless repeats of Midsomer, Father Ted, Doc Martin etc, but not one "Fools" sad
One of the best (OK the whole boxed set are "best") involves the blow-up plastic dolls which inflate after being chucked behind the sofa over the heating vent.
When the first (white) girl suddenly popped up I was almost out the door with shock, but hardly had the laughter subsided when the second one pops up! grin
Absolutely classic!

Annaram1 Mon 23-Mar-20 10:31:32

I like Mrs Browns boys but wish there was a lot less swearing. I fact I have turned off other so called funny shows because of the amount of swearing. Is swearing funny then?

Rufus2 Mon 23-Mar-20 10:09:29

Am I the only person who cannot stand Mrs Brown’s boys?

lancslass No! Me, Grandma2213 and several hundred I'd imagine! hmm

I could go on
Please do, until you get to this Mancunian! grin
Ta-Ra