Gransnet forums

Chat

When grandkids do not understand about Coronavirus?

(29 Posts)
Everhopeful Sun 22-Mar-20 13:10:41

My grandson was 4 yesterday and his party had been planned with a monkey theme...all okay until last Tuesday when the government made wise decisions re social gatherings.
His party was cancelled with is nursery friends and sadly when told this he thought it was because he had misbehaved!!! poor little man....
In order to help him understand a friend gave me sight of SMALL PAUL by Joshua Massey....it's certainly helped to share with grandchildren Good luck to you all

vampirequeen Sun 22-Mar-20 13:13:23

That's so sad. Poor little lamb thinking he'd been so naughty they'd cancelled his party. It's so hard for little ones to understand what is happening.

hondagirl Mon 23-Mar-20 04:59:00

Yes it's really hard on them. I know it's seems like a minor thing to us but to them it's a big thing. My daughter and family are in NZ and today it was announced everyone has to self-isolate as far as possible, apart from essential workers. My granddaughter is very upset that her birthday treat is cancelled and now they are worried that none of her presents will arrive. Her birthday celebration did not take place last year either as it was the time that my husband passed away. She asked her mum 'Why do bad things always happen when it's my birthday?'

BlueBelle Mon 23-Mar-20 05:17:26

Honda girl and everhopeful have you read the thread I started with a lovely poem explaining to little ones what’s happening The thread is entitled
For anyone with young grandkids who might be worrying

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 07:53:01

My grandson's birthday soon too. But I'm trying to tell myself it's better he has a live healthy granny than a party.

Witzend Mon 23-Mar-20 08:03:43

My dgd is coming up to 5 and is going to be very upset that her party has had to be cancelled. I’m sure dd will find a way to explain it without worrying her unduly, though. The original plan was to have a joint party with her brother - birthday in July - but that’s probably not on the cards now, either.
This year will be the first time I won’t have been very busy making 3 or 4 dozen chocolate fairy cakes with a Smartie on top! Not to mention all the mini sandwiches, usually scoffed by the parents. They’ve always had big parties with masses of friends - and grandparents, too. ?

Granarchist Mon 23-Mar-20 09:21:54

my seven year old grandson's drawing - brilliant

hondagirl Tue 24-Mar-20 06:12:17

Bluebell, thanks for that I will take a look.

Pikachu Tue 24-Mar-20 06:32:57

Firs4 world problem

pollyperkins Tue 24-Mar-20 06:43:09

Where do I find your poem Blubelle?

pollyperkins Tue 24-Mar-20 06:43:25

Sorry, Bluebelle!

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 06:48:10

Having missed Mothers Day, we're planning a great big party next year to compensate. My granddaughter will have a big 'double party' for her birthday next year too!

BlueBelle Tue 24-Mar-20 07:06:33

pollyperkins
The Time We Spring-Cleaned the World

The world it got so busy,
There were people all around.
They left their germs behind them;
In the air and on the ground.
These germs grew bigger and stronger.
They wanted to come and stay.
They didn’t want to hurt anyone -
They just really wanted to play.
Sometimes they tried to hold your hand,
Or tickled your throat or your nose.
They could make you cough and sneeze
And make your face as red as a rose.
And so these germs took over.
They started to make people ill,
And with every cough we coughed
More and more germs would spill.
All the queens and kings had a meeting.
“It’s time to clean the world up!” they said.
And so they had to close lots of fun stuff,
Just so these germs couldn’t spread.
We couldn’t go to cinemas
Or restaurants for our tea.
There was no football or parties,
The world got as quiet as can be.
The kids stopped going to school,
The mums and dads went to work less.
Then a great, big, giant scrubbing brush
Cleaned the sky and the sea and the mess!
Dads started teaching the sums,
Big brothers played with us more,
Mums were in charge of homework
And we read and played jigsaws galore!
The whole world was washing their hands
And building super toilet roll forts!
Outside was quiet and peaceful,
Now home was the place for all sports.
So we played in the world that was home
And our days filled up with fun and love,
And the germs they grew smaller and smaller
And the sun watched from up above.
Then one morning the sun woke up early,
She smiled and stretched her beams wide.
The world had been fully spring cleaned,
It was time to go back outside!
We opened our doors oh so slowly
And breathed in the clean and fresh air.
We promised that forever and always
Of this beautiful world we’d take care!

Credit: Louise Gribbons wrote this ?

GrannyLaine Tue 24-Mar-20 07:16:49

Its easy to catastrophise the effect this has on small children. With clear and simple explanation, I find they are much more accepting than we give them credit for. There will be plenty more parties in the future. Consider the situation of a couple I know whose 22 year old son was killed in an accident three weeks ago. His parents are distraught but had planned a wonderful funeral for him and taken comfort in their grief from doing so.In two days time a very different funeral will take place with just his parents attending. You don't get another chance at that one.

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:25:09

Children are very adaptable. Adults tend to project their own feeling onto them. GrannyLaine is spot on. A simple, calm and matter-of-fact explanation will do.

A cheerful face and positive outlook will be reflected back (they are like little mirrors so project calm acceptance). It can be a special time for bonding, a little holiday at home!

Hithere Tue 24-Mar-20 07:58:27

My kids are not even school age.

I have explained to them there is a bug outside that you cannot see and if it bites you, you get sick. That explains why you cannot see your friends, go to daycare, no playdates, nothing.

So far so good. Kids are smart and catch up fast.

pollyperkins Tue 24-Mar-20 08:56:59

Thanks Bluebelle. Have forwarded to the family

EdwardHeavy Mon 21-Jun-21 08:11:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

love0c Mon 21-Jun-21 08:23:30

Ridiculous and so unnecessary. Nurseries and schools are open.

Bellitos Mon 21-Jun-21 08:50:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Jun-21 09:14:23

I cannot understand why the birthday party had to be cancelled?

Was it not possible to just change it AC had four year old GD’s birthday party in their garden a couple of weeks ago, they had Party Princess Entertainers All Covid regulations followed as it is permissible to have gatherings of up to 30 outside. They had awning ready if the weather changed.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Jun-21 09:41:27

PLEASE NOTE!
This thread was started in March 2020! The very start of the pandemic.
The poster called EdwardHeavy revived it this morning, for some reason confused

mamaa Mon 21-Jun-21 09:42:15

I wondered that too GG13 then saw that OP was from March 2020 so not linked to present restrictions but those from the 1st lockdown I suppose...

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Jun-21 09:44:59

What's the betting that this thread is highlighted in the newsletter?

25Avalon Mon 21-Jun-21 09:51:05

How very odd. Children are not necessarily safe in daycare. The Delta variant of Covid is now appearing more and more in schools and nurseries. Little ones who prove positive have to be isolated at home. This has happened at gd’s school. The year 2 teacher was positive so all the children in her class were sent home and tested. One was positive. Siblings in other classes. So not safe.