Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you nick-nacks say about you ?

(137 Posts)
NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 15:34:41

On the radio on Tuesday at 4.00pm there is a programme called ‘The Hidden History of the Mantlepiece’.

My Mantlepiece has on it

A small silver elephant
A soapstone elephant
2 small glass ornaments
An American pottery vase with 4 black horses on it.
An old American clock with a glass front with a partridge on it
A much loved family teddy in a bow-tie

What’s on yours if you have a Mantlepiece ?

BradfordLass73 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:13:10

I dont have a mantlepiece and if I had it would be like every other surface in my house - utterly devoid of knick-knacks. I'm a minimalist and like the clean, hygineic look, not clutter.

Very occasionally I will have a few flowers on display.

Kalu Thu 26-Mar-20 20:58:58

A huge positive for you to look forward to Jane. Hoping 23May is a reality for you ??

lemongrove Any and all Knick knacks we receive from our AC/GC are given with love and that you love them all tells me you have a loving family, says a lot about you. Even going to the extent of an occasional flick of a duster?

lemongrove Thu 26-Mar-20 20:16:19

Nice Victorian fireplace Nortsat ?

All my knick knacks were presents from others, mainly AC and DGC so don’t really say anything about me, but I do love them all, dusting or no dusting ( usually the latter.)

janeainsworth Thu 26-Mar-20 19:55:33

Kalu yes DD2 lives only 30 mins drive away so we’re looking forward to it! We’ve already been booked to babysit on May 23rd but who knows whether we’ll be allowed out at that pointhmm
DD is being very good & sending photos & videos every day so at least we have that.

Kalu Thu 26-Mar-20 16:42:42

Jane I didn’t want to ask if your new GD lived locally, knowing all your AC don’t. Happy news for you to look forward to all the cuddles owed and being a loving part of her life as she grows up. I imagine you will be inspecting every tooth as it surfaces?

What a lovely mantlepiece Nortsat keeping on top of silver polishing is a chore but always worth it. I do like your silver display.

Nortsat Thu 26-Mar-20 10:27:46

I am loving these mantlepieces, here’s mine.
I think it says I like clutter, that I bring nick nacks home from holidays and that my family buy me nick nacks because they know I love them ...

janeainsworth Thu 26-Mar-20 07:53:46

She’s a really lovely baby Kalu & the only one who lives locally & now we only see her on WhatsApp sad
But thank goodness for technology in these difficult times.

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 23:09:50

Snap Jane. Ours consists of family pets and family members, a snap of one which gives us 4 generations. DGDs, 10 and 14 have claimed a kitchen wall section as their art gallery for their collection of art work done over the years.

Lucky you with a brand new GD to welcome into the family??

Chewbacca Wed 25-Mar-20 22:26:36

I'm sorry to say that I have never had a stiffie on my mantlepiece. Autocorrect wanted to change it to sniffle but I've never had one of them on my mantlepiece either. sad

morethan2 Wed 25-Mar-20 22:21:48

It says to me your a very interesting person Theoddbird

janeainsworth Wed 25-Mar-20 21:08:40

Kalu grin I have a Rogues’ Gallery in the hall, portraits of 5 of my 6 DGC.
Still have to get one printed and framed of newest DGD but she is only 9 weeks old ??

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 20:19:13

have already ‘ decided’

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 20:17:33

Oh lovely Jane. I do like all those pieces but I have already where I can display the pineapple.....just saying?

What a lovely welcoming mantlepiece Oopsadaisy

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 19:57:56

Jane, I was only too happy to post the least uncluttered surface in our home. Other surfaces are home to those pieces which have lots of memories attached to them, similar idea to those special pieces you describe on your own mantlepiece.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 25-Mar-20 19:55:52

Here’s mine

MissAdventure Wed 25-Mar-20 19:53:38

Oh that's lovely!
I've mantelpiece envy.

They're all great, or grate, perhaps?

janeainsworth Wed 25-Mar-20 19:49:56

Here’s mine

janeainsworth Wed 25-Mar-20 19:39:25

That's lovely Kalu.
Mine has:
a teak Buddhist monk that we bought in Thailand
a small very deep purple vase
a pineapple (the symbol of welcome in Virginia) constructed out of computer parts, which we bought at a craft market in Yorktown VA
a small Indian dish, a gift from a dear cousin
a Chinese vase given to me by a Hongkong friend

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 19:21:34

My mantlepiece with not a lot on it. Sadly, stiffies are very low on delivery now.

19829chad Wed 25-Mar-20 17:50:59

Ref stiffies I have really had a good laugh about that one, you really are a wonderful witty community don’t stop

MissAdventure Wed 25-Mar-20 17:49:13

May I suggest an artfully displayed stiffie? smile

kittylester Wed 25-Mar-20 17:43:52

I dont like it!! grin

kittylester Wed 25-Mar-20 17:43:12

Trying to achieve some semblance of order so my mantlepiece today

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 17:00:01

No dust
I cleaned it today

NanKate Wed 25-Mar-20 16:58:34

Don’t hold back on our account MissAdventure we all need a laugh.