Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you nick-nacks say about you ?

(136 Posts)
NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 15:34:41

On the radio on Tuesday at 4.00pm there is a programme called ‘The Hidden History of the Mantlepiece’.

My Mantlepiece has on it

A small silver elephant
A soapstone elephant
2 small glass ornaments
An American pottery vase with 4 black horses on it.
An old American clock with a glass front with a partridge on it
A much loved family teddy in a bow-tie

What’s on yours if you have a Mantlepiece ?

Curlywhirly Sun 22-Mar-20 15:42:29

A clock, two candle sticks with candles and two 'vintage' picture frames framing photos of my son's wedding. On the hearth are two more similar picture frames framing pictures of the grandchildren (of course!).

Pantglas2 Sun 22-Mar-20 15:42:30

Here’s mine....

rosenoir Sun 22-Mar-20 15:50:54

I do not have a mantlepiece but on my unit thing I have a large bowl with crackle glass fruit, vase of flowers ,crackle glass Buddha head and a dead fly.

SalsaQueen Sun 22-Mar-20 15:55:21

On the TV unit, I've got 5 cat ornaments (and currently 2 Mother's day cards, one from each son today) and a framed photograph of my eldest son and his 2 little girls. Everyone who knows me knows there are 2 loves in my life - family and cats.

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 15:55:56

3 framed photographs of my grandchildren

3 wooden owls
a silver owl
A hand made plaque of a sea horse and star fish with
free as the ocean written on it
A small glass jar my grandson painted on when he was 5
A wooden cross from the Holy Land

On the hearth

A large wooden owl.
2 house plants
A framed photograph of Aberfan
A stone from top of Snowdon

AGAA4 Sun 22-Mar-20 16:03:40

On my mantlepiece I still have the Christmas card my baby grandson sent me (his picture on the front). A galileo thermometer. A photo of 3 of my grandchildren.

phoenix Sun 22-Mar-20 16:03:46

Here's mine.

Please excuse the raffles old bag reflected in the mirror, just a random passer by that I called in to help (I sprayed her down with Dettol before letting her in, obviously) blush

phoenix Sun 22-Mar-20 16:05:15

Should read "raddled" although if anyone wants to buy tickets, I supposed a raffle might be possible........

eazybee Sun 22-Mar-20 16:12:49

Two pewter candlesticks and a pewter half-pint measuring mug, with some dead dried hydrangeas in it.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Mar-20 16:18:06

3 vases of Mother’s Day flowers n 3 cards

Grannybags Sun 22-Mar-20 16:24:08

A clock, a photo of my late Mum paddling in the sea, a Mother's Day card from youngest son.

Eldest son supposed to be coming with present and card tomorrow but not coming now....?

DanniRae Sun 22-Mar-20 16:27:09

I have no mantlepiece but on my living room window ledge I have:
3 Mother's Day cards
1 Happy Mother's Day - Nanna Card
2 photos in frames - 1 Son and Wife ...1 Daughter and Partner
Large plant in the centre

I collect china jugs so those are all over my wall unit

GabriellaG54 Sun 22-Mar-20 16:27:33

A silver and black giraffe, 2 purple filigree Indian tealight holders, 2 green plants.

phoenix Sun 22-Mar-20 16:27:43

I believe that in times gone by, the mantelpiece was the preffered place to proudly display ones "stiffies"!

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 16:28:11

I don't have nicknacks. In my room, I have 3 frames on the wall. All 3 have my grandson's footprints. At 1 month, 1 year and 1 1/2.

Can't bear clutter, although the house NEVER feels tidy.

paddyanne Sun 22-Mar-20 16:35:44

a large Buddha with a copper tea light holder for 4 cand,les .Normally thats it for ornaments.Today I have a small basket planted up to look exactly like the border in our garden as planted by my late dad.Thats my mothers day gift from my daughter.A bouquet of flowers on the shelves that hold CD's.The flowers will only be here until tonight when they'll immigrate to the kitchen.My OH has athsma so flowers are a rarity

MissAdventure Sun 22-Mar-20 16:42:33

At the risk of sounding naive, what's a "stiffie"? blush

NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 16:44:38

Phoenix I assume you are referring to ashes of the departed and nothing else ?

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 16:46:40

It’s a formal invitation, often deckle-edged and engraved if you are really smart, printed, if less smart.

Jane10 Sun 22-Mar-20 16:49:57

MissAdventure- they are posh invitations. Engraved (note not printed) on stiff cardboard.
Our mantlepiece contains :
5 motor racing trophies (DH's most recent season), a stiffie, mother's day card, 5 postcard versions of winners of a children's art prize, the remote for the optimist fire.
A large painting of a river scene in France on the wall above it.

ginny Sun 22-Mar-20 16:51:25

A figurine from Vietnam, a hand painted vase from China. 3 Mothers Day cards and a candle holder made by myself. On the hearth.. a flower arrangement from 3 DDs and a pottery leaf made by me.

phoenix Sun 22-Mar-20 16:52:51

Correct, Maw &Jane !

lemongrove Sun 22-Mar-20 16:54:52

Mine just now ( although it often has a few letters/ bills tucked behind the candle.)

lemongrove Sun 22-Mar-20 16:56:38

Phoenix.... ‘oooh! You are awful..but I like you!’ grin