Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a favourite department store?

(55 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 25-Mar-20 15:15:38

When I was a lot younger, living in London, a trip round the department stores was one of my ideas of heaven. Sadly some of the best are long gone and I was wondering if there are any that you miss (anywhere)

My choices are Galeries Lafayette (on Regent Street, now Hamleys - unless that's now gone), Simpsons of Piccadilly and Woollands (Knightsbridge). 50 years on I can still remember shoes that I bought in the first two.

Lilypops Wed 25-Mar-20 22:28:31

Lewis,s liverpool I worked there in 1964/1968 great store, loved Blacklers bargain basement where you could buy just anything, They had a fabulous huge rocking horse as you walked in, I believe the proceeds from charging to ride on it went to local charities, George Henry Lee was another favourite store , it’s now John Lewis

paddyanne Wed 25-Mar-20 22:41:21

Kalu Goldbergs and Lewis's in the 60's were where we went for clothes ,Daly's and McDonalds in Buchanan St were where my mum liked to buy for herself. I later worked in both Lewis's and Goldbergs in their fantastic Grottos and on their Minipix dept taking photos of children .I remember in my late teens buying a maxi dress from Jenners for a christmas dance and getting the afternoon off work to go pick it up when the alteration had been done .

MiniMoon Wed 25-Mar-20 22:56:30

Binns in the '60's - '80's, then it became House of Fraser. There was also Bullough's, but that was much pricier, so if I went in there it was just for a look round. I used the hair salon in Binns quite regularly.
My favourite department store now is Hoopers in Harrogate. I bought a beautiful dress there last year.

rubysong Wed 25-Mar-20 23:52:29

Carmichael's in Hull was, justifiably known as 'the Harrods of the North'. Sadly it is no longer there but, in its day, it was magnificent. Everything they sold was top quality. When I was at school we visited and were taken into the board room with a fabulous antique board table.