Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Thu 26-Mar-20 06:13:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a nice blue sky start here in Brackley this morning.
I have been feeling a bit rough , throat wise , with changing temperatures, both outside and in .
My throat , think it was caused by putting something in the microwave that was over hot, therefore burning the throat , making digesting hard food wise, otherwise I am OK.
Mick

Sar53 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:13:31

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny Essex by the sea. It is so nice to wake up to the sun.
We managed to fit a new blind in DH's office yesterday and the whole room looks so much better after our big sort out.
He left here just after 8 to do our weekly shop. He has been very good at getting the shopping to save me from going out. He has to be back for a conference call at 11 so I'm hoping he gets into the shop in time.
Kind thoughts to all those with poorly relatives.
Have the best day you can and stay safe xx

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:18:50

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Staying at home today ?!
I am actually enjoying the increased contact from family and friends. Now everybody’s busy lives have come to a halt we have more time for each other.

A sad day for you Ellan flowers.
Pleased the weather is improving Urmston it can only get better!
I hope you can remain a little upbeat Mary x
And thoughts as always to Gilly.

Grandmafrench Thu 26-Mar-20 09:21:57

Morning everyone - and Mick be more kind to that throat, please. Salt water gargling and then drink often through the day? Hope it helps.

Taichinan - sitting quietly and watching the fish, feeling the breeze, hearing the birds are almost forms of meditation and contemplation, aren’t they. Indoors - to open a window and watch the clouds, to sit and stroke a cat, gaze into firelight or a tank of little tropical fish....these all help to soothe us, help us find calm when we need to. At the opposite end of calm, when we just need to get on and achieve something : I read that you choose something achievable (to start) and not something that you feel might take forever, then you give yourself a sensible time to complete the task, set your timer and GO. It can be quite amazing how you’ll rise to the challenge. Don’t be distracted! Don’t stop until the time is up. Feel good about your efforts and give yourself some praise - and [tea] and then do something you’d rather do ?. Works for me - Procrastinator in Chief - and always cheers me up.

Sun just peeping through here, actually poured with rain since early yesterday evening after a glorious day. Our house (traditionally) has no roof gutters ?can you imagine the noise and Niagara Falls below?. Hope those sheets dry beautifully Lins. Hope you’re feeling a bit better, Soop. Good wishes to Doodle, to gilly marydoll grannysomerset and everyone unwell and worried for a better day every day ?????

Susan56 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:23:04

Gilly,keep posting and we will keep listening.You had so much you were already trying to deal with before corona virus came along.
You are such a kind,lovely person and always have words of support for us if we have troubles.
I wish I could do more to help you than send my love,strength and support but know that the whole of the GM thread supports you and are always hear to listen to you.?

conor Thu 26-Mar-20 09:28:35

Good morning from a sunny Essex. Spent last hour reading funny jokes/videos that family and friends have put onto WhatsApp. Really cheering me up!
Was so delighted to get my Iceland delivery yesterday. I don't think the delivery driver had ever had a more enthusiastic greeting! He left the bags on the front path and I put latex gloves on to collect and unpack everything. Not everything I'd ordered but will see me through for a while.
Online yoga shortly and then a busy day in the garden. No pressure or expectations!
Thinking of EllanVannin and Gillybobs xxxx

kittylester Thu 26-Mar-20 09:35:51

Lovely post susan - I agree with every word!

Theoddbird Thu 26-Mar-20 09:42:43

Good morning. Try a spoonful of honey to sooth your throat.

It is another gorgeous day on the river. The sun is shining and the water sparkling. I collected a bag of coal yesterday with my wagon and brought it to my boat. I am hoping the swan food will be at my post box today. I will have a walk there this afternoon...my daily exercise. Have a lovely day everyone x

fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:46:51

Yes Gillybob keep on posting on here we are very happy to read your posts.

I look every day for your post just to see that you are hanging in there.

You have had a dreadful time with your husband's health and ongoing with your business and you need to talk to people and they are right here for you. We are your virtual friends and think about you often.

I only wish we could start some sort of "go fund me" page for you.flowers

Grandmafrench Thu 26-Mar-20 09:48:04

gillybobs looks as if you’ll be risking the closure of your business, your home and all that you have if you don’t brace yourself - and your staff - to face some hard truths. I bet you have always paid and cared about your staff. The fact that you cannot pay them now is nobody’s fault. You haven’t sacked them and presumably they don’t want to leave, so in these extraordinary circumstances they will have to hold on until the Govt., puts the payments in place (from next month, they say). You mustn’t think to jeopardise your own future because you’re so determined that it’s your job to fix it. That way probably lies financial ruin. Everyone is waiting. I have a self-employed Son whose future booked work has been put on hold indefinitely. He has no idea where and when his next income will come from but like everyone affected, he’s attempting to sort his problems out for himself. Your staff will do the same - they’ll understand and won’t expect you to sort out their lives any more than they would yours. You’re worried, you’re stressed, emotional, in poor health, and life is ? at the moment - so please don’t take on anything else. BUT you have people on here who really care about you.....so don’t ever stop posting or thinking that you can’t say how you feel.
Lecture over! ???

Greyduster Thu 26-Mar-20 09:51:40

Good morning Michael and all GNs. Take it easy Mick I hope the throat is better soon. We have a lot of nothing planned for today. We were going to go for a walk but even our usual haunts seem to be full of people now. Garden then I think. I may make some cheese scones. Make hay while the butter lasts! Have a good safe day one and all.

Grammaretto Thu 26-Mar-20 09:52:53

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where there is a thick mist. Is this the haar? I planted lots of seeds in trays yesterday in glorious sunshine, under glass and luckily I found a fleece to wrap around them. It's freezing today.

Far from losing weight Urmston we are fattening up on porridge every day (with creamy milk and maple syrup).
I am sorry you are stuck in a small flat but my nephew and his wife are stuck in a small flat with an 18 month old so be grateful grin They do have a balcony.

I am sorry Gilly about your dilemma. My DSis works for citizens advice and they are still open for phone calls.

Marydoll I am glad you were able to get out and do some gardening, without too much pain I hope.. That's all any of us can do.
Creative cooking for me today. A bit like ready steady cook..
Have as good a day as you can everyone.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:53:13

Good morning from an initially chilly Scotland but it is warming up. Welcome liljan. What area are you?
Well, in spite of all the time available yesterday I achieved nothing. Must do better today. The bin men waved to me this morning ?. A smile is worth so much at a time like this. I too am waiting for my seeds to arrive in the post.
marydoll missed you yesterday ?☕️
gillybob. Keep talking to us please. Two thoughts. 1. The dog - a dog adopter would maybe be happy to take the dog on just now as they could devote a lot of time to retraining or there are people who foster dogs so your DD could have him back after this is over and meanwhile move in with you. Evie would be a joy, and away from grumpy dog and your DD would lower her utility bills. 2. Mumsnet have a very useful forum for business issues where a lot of professional people post excellent advice. Just advice that might trigger an idea that could be worked out for you. You are so generous to your family with practical and moral support so come here from support from all of us ?☕️
Off to have a snooze as I waited up to try for a delivery slot to no avail.

mancgirl Thu 26-Mar-20 09:54:08

Morning from sunny Manchester. Birds seem to be singing louder these days, is it because there is less traffic? So glad you have the sun at last Urmston you will feel so much better. My dil dropped a top up shop off for us last night, just a few bits and pieces and then ds2 dropped off 4beers and a bottle of wine. I assure you GN's we are not turning to drink, might have to save that for later smile. Another friend just phoned to ask if I need anything, so kind. I'm a bit frustrated not doing it myself but as we only got back from Spain on Friday and self imposing isolation for 14 days think it is safest. Ironing (yes I know, bit sad) but since I keep washing because the days are good, there's loads! However, think the sun might call me out to the garden before I start. Hugs to all, flowersfor those with more worries than most and for those not well. Keep safe.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:02:33

Gillybob if writing it down and getting it off your chest helps please keep doing so.

The system is so overwhelmed at the moment, and they are making up the rules on the hoof, which is extremely frustrating but I guess understandable in these dystopian circumstances.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Mar-20 10:03:49

For you today EV ?
And for you gillybob you are so loved on this thread. ❤️
Welcome to our newbies ?

Feelingmyage55 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:08:35

EV ??

Urmstongran Thu 26-Mar-20 10:09:49

Yes, of course you are quite right Grammaretto. I do count my blessings. A couple of floor up and across from us is a young Spanish family. No garden, no parks open, not allowed out for even a walk - single people only to shop - we were saying yesterday it must be so hard for that little group. At least they too have a balcony. It must be so stressful with toys and a cot in there.

Grannmarie Thu 26-Mar-20 10:15:43

Good morning Mick and all Good Morning posters old and new.

Mick, if you don't have honey and lemon, you could try making little balls of butter and sugar, I remember my Daddy doing that for us when we had sore throats and coughs as children.

Having a wee cup of tea after my Joe Wicks PE class, great for the mood! I just jog on the spot if I can't manage the floor exercises.

Ellen, thanks

EBear Thu 26-Mar-20 10:20:46

Good morning from a sunny but cool Norfolk.

Today have decided to have a spring clean, one room a day, not sure that is going to last too long with our little house but here's hoping.

It's lovely to see all the posts daily, I have followed for a long time and can see how caring everyone is. Followed gillybobs messages during the horrible time her husband was in hospital and like everyone else hopes she is taking comfort from the support on this thread.

Had to trim my fringe today hmm at least no one except DH will see it!

DGS is working well on school lessons but wonder how long this can work.

Am trying to contact elderly family who live alone on a rota basis, even if I cannot do anything a chat will hopefully brighten their day.

Hope all GNs keep safe.

BladeAnnie Thu 26-Mar-20 10:49:18

A late good morning from a sunny mid-Notts. Like everyone I am missing my lovely DDs and DGD. We have been doing face time which is lovely and they have set up a whatsapp group so we can do a video "conference call " at the weekend. Shopping arriving later - I feel very lucky we were able to get a slot. Hope everyone has the best day possible x

Megs36 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:57:54

Good morning all, despite a cuppa at 5.30, I’m still not dressed?However my husband is now home and c. test negative, lovely chest nurse came and confirmed it was/is pneumonia, almost a relief! Will take a while as his breathing and coughing is quite bad, we are following the NHS rules and not sleeping together. Augustwillbe our Diamond wedding ? anniversary, hopefiully there will be some normality by then, will it be our honeymoon????I think not.Just thankful he is home, I send my best wishes to those not so fortunate and to those of you with ongoing problems. Like everyone I miss you family so much, and grandson’s wedding in June is definitely postponed/cancelled, another grandchild getting married in September ???Not posting much just lurking,can’t muster much enthusiasm.

Megs36 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:59:10

Miss my family!!

Kalu Thu 26-Mar-20 11:12:48

Good morning all. Grey skies overhead in Glasgow today however on the plus side, it isn’t raining. Still plenty to keep me occupied in the garden. I count spending time pottering about out there in the fresh air as my exercise taken care of for the day. Also a positive for my mental health to help take my mind off dwelling on my worries. Something we are all being overwhelmed with going through such difficult times.

My best wishes to all with troubles and illness as we go through this journey as best we can.

GabriellaG54 Thu 26-Mar-20 11:31:50

A still and sunny day here in Godalming.
It's so good to see the trees and hedgerows bursting into buds and blossom but the nights seem to last forever, it's so quiet.
At least the air is less polluted, so we're told. That must be the silver lining.
My run was enjoyable and I sat for a while on the edge of a field later and nibbled on a breakfast bar and water, actually, it was so warm I could have gone to sleep. ?️??
Another day thinking of things to do, conjouri g up work when there is no work to be done.
I suppose it's reading and sleeping in a sunny room with windows wide open...again.
Shopping for the week ahead tomorrow though I don't need much at all, in fact, I may not even shop. After weighing myself this morning, I have lost 2kg since March 1st, not a lot but I don't want to lose weight. It shows in the face.
BTW, I'm loving my Aldi/Lacura beauty buys, they really do make a difference.

I wish all GNers a sunny, less-fraught day and hopefully something to smile about ??
Take care...?

Taichinan Thu 26-Mar-20 11:40:44

Megs36 - so happy for you. Who would have believed a diagnosis of pneumonia would come as a relief! ?