Gransnet forums

Chat

Internet dinosaurs

(42 Posts)
hollysteers Fri 27-Mar-20 00:37:30

I really feel for older people in this present situation who never got to grips with the internet. It’s proving invaluable in so many ways and although I formerly felt I was spending too much time on it, I certainly don’t at the moment and I’m no techno wizard.
I’m fact, I’m irritated when I think of the relatives and friends who have stubbornly refused to have anything to do with it over the years. I bet they wish they had it now as it makes it difficult for the people around them.

GrannySomerset Sat 28-Mar-20 18:33:30

We have a fortnightly local group who will sort out your IT problems if you take the device in to them. No good at present, obviously, but very useful if you don’t have a local ten year old grandchild to help.

CherryCezzy Sat 28-Mar-20 18:28:04

I know a 61yr old woman who has only ever used a computer in a library and that has only been once or twice. She doesn't have a computer at home, broadband, a tablet/iPad and she doesn't have a smartphone. She just has a basic mobile phone. Why is this? Simply because she has never been able to afford it and now feels like it's useless her going to the library to try to learn.

Judy54 Sat 28-Mar-20 16:59:20

I use email and the internet. Unfortunately because I don't have a smartphone (just a basic mobile phone for calls and texts) I am unable to join my groups who are using whatsapp and yes I do feel left out. I am communicating with family and friend via telephone, text and email which suits me fine.

Cymres1 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:01:47

Many years ago before I started getting used to the Internet my wonderful Auntie Dil in Sheldon, B'ham was way ahead of me and ready to have a go. I am married to someone who thinks the Internet is a pain but has been using it to look at canal history in the past two days. Surprising himself.
As for WhatsApp, our WI phone group is now approaching 20 and the sharing and support is brilliant. Wouldn't be without my WI through thick and thin (and I don't mean my waistline, but we have decided calories don't happen on a Wednesday). All the best everyone, and especially the WI groups out there pulling together.

Alishka Sat 28-Mar-20 10:36:04

"black background with black font" - grin
Anyone remember that Invisible Writing we used to do, which you could see when you wet the page? OP, did you try dunking the ipad/whatever in a bucket of water?grin

Shelmiss Sat 28-Mar-20 10:28:24

This is something that I’ve often thought about starting up - classes for women and men of a certain age who don’t know how to use the internet or a mobile phone etc. It would be very basic and step by step.

I say a certain age, although a lot of middle aged people don’t know how to do things, back up images etc, get a song to play in their car from Spotify etc etc etc.

I have embraced technology since the early 80s but most of the people I know haven’t and often get into a mess with things. My 55 year old sister is always “helping” my 83 year old mum to sort her IT things but gets into a worse state than when she began.

I’d be interested in knowing how many people would be interested in something like this in real life. Obviously when this lockdown is well and truly over.

Could be a new career for me in later life! grin

Coolgran65 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:19:58

mimismi telephone calls to your brother don't have to be e xpensive. I can ring USA for 2p per minute. Just put a special telephone number in front of the number you are dialling.
For example, Google cheap calls to USA. Hits will come up. I think mine is Super Hero's. it's a different number according to the country you are ringing. These companies rent lines off the major providers.

Pittcity Sat 28-Mar-20 09:59:06

I, like Bradfordlass, started with a black and white screen and a flashing C: The computer cost a fortune and did almost nothing.
I have kept up with advances since then but use cheap alternatives updated frequently.
We are using lots of new apps like Houseparty to keep in touch at present and am enjoying virtual pub quizzes and coffee mornings amongst other things.

JackieBee1 Sat 28-Mar-20 07:19:22

Old woman 70

Type in what you want to know into your search engine (eg Google). Hopefully something will appear. If not, put your question on here and one of us might be able to send you a link.
Good luck!

kircubbin2000 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:45:13

None of my friends use it or trust it. They are missing so much especially now when local groups have set up to help elderly.One friend drives over to the bank ,about 15 miles each way to pay various bills and then to M and S to pay another bill.

dirgni Fri 27-Mar-20 18:21:45

I’m so grateful that I can do online shopping!

Joelise Fri 27-Mar-20 16:23:14

After a few false starts , I managed to set up Zoom last evening, in readiness for an on line sing ? in with our choir on Sunday, hope it works !

Nan79 Fri 27-Mar-20 16:21:56

Unless you can’t afford the internet or an iPad , which some people can’t.
I think it is very short sighted ( if you are able) not to learn
Our local library gave free tuition and the Apple store are marvellous . I am nearly 80 but help some of my younger friends when they are stuck. Seniors have to learn to live in the present if possible.

jerseygirl Fri 27-Mar-20 16:01:50

I would be lost without the internet. I managed to do an online shop today to be delivered to my 87 year old mum. She is housebound and none of us can visit her. I was so worried about her, but i can breathe a bit easier now.

growstuff Fri 27-Mar-20 15:53:47

Oldwoman I've had to teach myself "Zoom" over the last week, in order to keep some of my online tuition business going. It was actually very easy. The biggest problem I had was that it wouldn't work with Microsoft Edge, so I had to change to Google Chrome. Now it works really well - and I'm really not a social networking expert! Give it a go!

Newatthis Fri 27-Mar-20 15:44:31

I have a friend who runs a very successful business and doesn't know how to operate a computer.

Mollygo Fri 27-Mar-20 15:21:58

Oldwoman70 there’s something new every day-even the younger folk can’t keep up with everything. My Aunt reached 100 this year, she still uses FB and online buying and banking. I think she’s on Gransnet too but she won’t tell either me or my cousin whether she is or no!

Annaram1 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:08:28

Congratulations Bijou! Always an inspiration!

rockgran Fri 27-Mar-20 14:22:52

I've always thought it prudent to stay abreast of modern technology but many of my friends (and family) have resisted. I always felt that one day they might regret their lack of interest in the internet. However, we could never have imagined it would be such a sweeping and sudden incident that caught them out. I do feel sorry for anyone who has left it too late as they will have many extra problems now. Ironically being stuck at home might have been the best time to learn this new skill.

Oldwoman70 Fri 27-Mar-20 13:31:18

I use the internet for email, Facebook (to keep in touch with family abroad), online shopping, banking etc. However, since I have retired I find that technology has gotten away from me, Facetime, Skype and now something called Zoom are all mysteries to me - because I didn't have children so have no young people to show me. Computer lessons in libraries etc. all concentrate on the basics but don't go into the next steps. So please don't call me a dinosaur - I would like to learn but have no-one to show me.

Bijou Fri 27-Mar-20 12:43:50

I am nearly 97 and don’t know what I would do without the internet not only keeping in touch with friends and family but shopping. Had a delivery from Sainsburys as usual, have ordered birthday presents for my son and daughter in law, bird seed, etc.
Also I know some people who only use cash not cards and in normal circumstances have to go to the bank for cash or pay bills. I have been with telephone bank for thirty years and all bills are paid by direct debit.

00mam00 Fri 27-Mar-20 12:27:42

A friend of mine has dyspraxia and was never able to use a p.c., so I introduced her to the iPad, she has never looked back and now sees it as her life line.

Mamma66 Fri 27-Mar-20 12:23:21

My lovely Dad (nearly 88) lives alone and is fairly self sufficient as a rule. We (my brothers and I and the wider family) normally see him pretty much daily, but obviously not at present. We’ve been phoning him regularly and my brother had fortunately set up FaceTime before the wotsit hit the fan. I rang him the other and then we agreed to FaceTime so I could see his lovely face, but the sound quality was awful. I could understand why the call was reverberating until I realised he was FaceTiming through his tablet and holding his landline (still connected) to his ear. It did make me giggle smile

Cambia Fri 27-Mar-20 12:22:48

My mum is 84, not very technical but she has learned to use her iPad and smartphone. We can FaceTime her every day which as we are stuck in Crete at the moment is brilliant and free. She can order her shopping and keep in touch with emails. As she is on her own this is an amazing bonus!

hilarious Fri 27-Mar-20 12:14:17

My line manager once said keep 'experimenting' you can't go wrong!! That was until I accidentally changed background to black with black font.