Gransnet forums

Chat

Internet dinosaurs

(41 Posts)
hollysteers Fri 27-Mar-20 00:37:30

I really feel for older people in this present situation who never got to grips with the internet. It’s proving invaluable in so many ways and although I formerly felt I was spending too much time on it, I certainly don’t at the moment and I’m no techno wizard.
I’m fact, I’m irritated when I think of the relatives and friends who have stubbornly refused to have anything to do with it over the years. I bet they wish they had it now as it makes it difficult for the people around them.

SueDonim Fri 27-Mar-20 01:44:51

It’s a bit unkind to call people dinosaurs simply because they can’t manage to learn something new. My mother is 92yo and try as she might, she could not get on with using the internet. She lives alone without help except a weekly cleaner (who now can’t come so she’s managing it bit by bit herself) so she’s hardly a burden on anyone.

PamelaJ1 Fri 27-Mar-20 01:57:04

My mum is 92 as well, she has adamantly refused to be interested in the Internet since my dad bought his first computer about 30 years ago. He has since died.

She isn’t bothered about being in touch with us at all, she is incredibly self sufficient. However, it would make things much easier for us.

SueDonim Fri 27-Mar-20 02:03:17

My mum tried. She loves music and wanted to listen to operas and the like. She just got so confused, it was stressing her so much. She gave it a good go, she had broadband for a couple of years but it wasn’t to be. It would make it easier for us, it’s true, but I’ve found other ways round it.

BradfordLass73 Fri 27-Mar-20 04:12:00

I'm certainly glad I started computer use early, long before the Internet, because as things developed from coding in the command strings and HTML to Windows, I was able to progress with it.

Now it's my lifeline. smile

EllanVannin Fri 27-Mar-20 08:37:58

Mine began in 1990 when the hospital that I was working at became computerised, a breakthrough and a Godsend.
We'd been using microfiche's to store patient's notes.
I've used a computer for the last 30 years.

I can live without a mobile phone as they've never been an interest to me so therefore I didn't buy one.
D bought me one years ago which is in a drawer, unused and classed as an antique and it's a Nokia ( a heavy model ) by todays standards.

jenni123 Fri 27-Mar-20 11:18:28

I'm disabled and in vnpoor health, having just returned home after one month in hospital. I have a cleaner and the one thing I can't do is to change my bed, so my cleaner will come just to do that... I will stay in lounge she can go into bedroom without coming near Lounge, she will change bed and leave. I couldn't manage without this.

mimismo Fri 27-Mar-20 11:18:44

My sister and I 'chat' almost daily with what's up, free from Spain to UK. My brother doesn't have it, so very expensive phone calls are few and far between. I'm going to have to nag them to install what's up.!!

Canalboatgranma Fri 27-Mar-20 11:22:40

Thought this post was going to be another one about entertaining our grandchildren, especially as my DGD loves dinosau.

Canalboatgranma Fri 27-Mar-20 11:23:12

Dinosaurs

Maremia Fri 27-Mar-20 11:31:09

I think by the end of this we will be able to WhatsApp our family and friends, Facetime the kids, post videos on TikTok, share our selfies on Instagram, play Roblox and Minecraft, maybe not Fortnite. On the other hand, the grandchildren are not around to teach us these skills, but at least we have Gransnet.

GrannySomerset Fri 27-Mar-20 11:34:26

Love the notion of What’s Up! Excellent description of family use of the app.

polnan Fri 27-Mar-20 11:40:19

It is not just the elderly!!!! many "middle aged" people I know just don`t want to know!!! come on!

yes, I am thankful I learnt a little 20 years ago, when I retired, but then my ds helped me.. set me up..not everyone has someone to help them

ctussaud Fri 27-Mar-20 11:46:32

Sometimes using a mobile phone can be the “back door in” for becoming accustomed to internet usage.
Many hospitals now have a “remote” for TV, getting a nurse and the like, which is very similar to a mobile phone. A friend’s mother was in hospital and was pretty isolated on her ward because she couldnt fathom this remote.

Witzend Fri 27-Mar-20 11:48:52

My mother (gone now) did her best to learn at maybe 80, bought herself a laptop, but was always nervous of it - IIRC she was afraid of ‘breaking’ it or somehow messing it up if she pressed a wrong key. We told her that it wouldn’t matter but it didn’t help. She ended up giving the laptop to my brother.

Mind you I can remember trying to get to grips (on my own) with my very first computer decades ago - and having a fit when it came up with something about ‘this is an illegal operation and will be shut down.’ !!! I was fully expecting the Old Bill to turn up!

I never did find out what I’d done that was ‘illegal’.

polnan Fri 27-Mar-20 11:56:29

Actually I think our Government and all can be called dinosaurs...

Maggie Thatcher told us we would do video conferencing and not need all these travel and face to face meetings

wonder why Parliament hasn`t done this?

hilarious Fri 27-Mar-20 12:14:17

My line manager once said keep 'experimenting' you can't go wrong!! That was until I accidentally changed background to black with black font.

Cambia Fri 27-Mar-20 12:22:48

My mum is 84, not very technical but she has learned to use her iPad and smartphone. We can FaceTime her every day which as we are stuck in Crete at the moment is brilliant and free. She can order her shopping and keep in touch with emails. As she is on her own this is an amazing bonus!

Mamma66 Fri 27-Mar-20 12:23:21

My lovely Dad (nearly 88) lives alone and is fairly self sufficient as a rule. We (my brothers and I and the wider family) normally see him pretty much daily, but obviously not at present. We’ve been phoning him regularly and my brother had fortunately set up FaceTime before the wotsit hit the fan. I rang him the other and then we agreed to FaceTime so I could see his lovely face, but the sound quality was awful. I could understand why the call was reverberating until I realised he was FaceTiming through his tablet and holding his landline (still connected) to his ear. It did make me giggle smile

00mam00 Fri 27-Mar-20 12:27:42

A friend of mine has dyspraxia and was never able to use a p.c., so I introduced her to the iPad, she has never looked back and now sees it as her life line.

Bijou Fri 27-Mar-20 12:43:50

I am nearly 97 and don’t know what I would do without the internet not only keeping in touch with friends and family but shopping. Had a delivery from Sainsburys as usual, have ordered birthday presents for my son and daughter in law, bird seed, etc.
Also I know some people who only use cash not cards and in normal circumstances have to go to the bank for cash or pay bills. I have been with telephone bank for thirty years and all bills are paid by direct debit.

Oldwoman70 Fri 27-Mar-20 13:31:18

I use the internet for email, Facebook (to keep in touch with family abroad), online shopping, banking etc. However, since I have retired I find that technology has gotten away from me, Facetime, Skype and now something called Zoom are all mysteries to me - because I didn't have children so have no young people to show me. Computer lessons in libraries etc. all concentrate on the basics but don't go into the next steps. So please don't call me a dinosaur - I would like to learn but have no-one to show me.

rockgran Fri 27-Mar-20 14:22:52

I've always thought it prudent to stay abreast of modern technology but many of my friends (and family) have resisted. I always felt that one day they might regret their lack of interest in the internet. However, we could never have imagined it would be such a sweeping and sudden incident that caught them out. I do feel sorry for anyone who has left it too late as they will have many extra problems now. Ironically being stuck at home might have been the best time to learn this new skill.

Annaram1 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:08:28

Congratulations Bijou! Always an inspiration!

Mollygo Fri 27-Mar-20 15:21:58

Oldwoman70 there’s something new every day-even the younger folk can’t keep up with everything. My Aunt reached 100 this year, she still uses FB and online buying and banking. I think she’s on Gransnet too but she won’t tell either me or my cousin whether she is or no!