Gransnet forums

Chat

Trying to stay out of the fridge,

(18 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:36:59

Well as I’m self isolating only allowed out into the garden, I’m clearing out cupboards, cleaning etc, finding things that I’d previously mislaid, which is all good, but oh that fridge keeps calling me lol . Think I need to take some tough measures like taping my mouth up,does anyone else have this problem,

AGAA4 Sat 28-Mar-20 16:10:33

Snacking is so tempting when you are stuck inside all day. I am trying to keep to just one (or maybe two) snacks a day but it is hard!

rosenoir Sat 28-Mar-20 16:17:49

Is this you TrendyNannie6

AGAA4 Sat 28-Mar-20 16:19:53

That could be many of us rosenoir!

ThisLittlePiggy Sat 28-Mar-20 16:21:26

If I get tempted I tell myself to wait for 15 mins then I can have something. After that fifteen minutes I do the same again. Also, if you are genuinely hungry then you would happily eat a piece of fruit. If a piece of fruit isn't good enough then you're not really hungry, you're bored so go and do something else.

sodapop Sat 28-Mar-20 17:55:13

If only I had your self discipline Thislittlepiggy

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 18:14:26

You’re not alone Trendy - my willpower has gone out of the window at the moment

BlueBelle Sat 28-Mar-20 18:23:59

I m in the same boat I ve always tended to eat when bored so when I m busy it’s fine but in this situation I m really trying hard but .....

Missfoodlove Sat 28-Mar-20 19:32:31

Fridge pickers wear big knickers. Now just stop!!!!???

BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 22:49:34

You dafties, why are there things in your fridge that aren't good for you?

You made your choices when you bought them - surely you didn't think all those choclate biscuits were simply for display?

grin

My mother (a chronic dieter into her 70's silly woman) used to say, 'It's not will power I need, it's won't power'.

I have always had iron will power, necessary because I've needed to eliminate so many things from my diet that I love but did not love me and actually made me ill.

I'm a darned sight healthier for it.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 23:21:56

Because everything in appropriate moderation smile

TrendyNannie6 Sun 29-Mar-20 16:19:20

??well I was the first one years ago, actually I have got healthy things in my fridge so it’s more my little statch of chocolate bars next to it to be fair, rosenoir, but I’m dammed if I’m going to deprive, little of what you fancy does you good, that’s what I tell myself anyway, just keep climbing those town house stairs of mine, Up down Up Down

activerelaxer Sun 29-Mar-20 16:26:00

Usually I'm out all the time and 30% of my diet is cake.

Having to meal plan and being home for every meal has me eating a lot more healthily. Unfortunately it doesn't replace the missed exercise and I need much less! I thought I'd be baking every couple of days but no.

ThisLittlePiggy Sun 29-Mar-20 21:44:08

Sodapop. It's not as difficult as it sounds. I absolutely love cooking and food in general but I can't abide that feeling at the end of the day when you know you've eaten way too much. If I want to snack I do my best to remind myself how awful that feels. I don't always succeed but I have found strategies that work for me. I do find waiting 15 mins, then another 15 mins and so on does help and gets me through to my next meal time. Keep well Sodapop.

SirChenjin Sun 29-Mar-20 21:47:51

How much were you eating if you feel you’d eaten way too much? confused Just have small amounts of the ‘bad’ things you fancy, surely, and eat more of the ‘good’ things - but don’t overeat.

agnurse Sun 29-Mar-20 22:26:37

One thing you can do is to fill your fridge with healthy things to snack on, such as baby carrots/carrot sticks, celery, grape or cherry tomatoes, fresh fruit, etc.

As far as the choccy stash, you might try and set yourself a daily limit: "I can have one chocolate bar today." If that's still a problem, you can (pardon the pun) break it up over parts of the day. Maybe you have a couple of squares of choccy for a pick-me-up at certain times, so that you only have one bar a day, but it feels as if you've had more, because you've broken it up. Also, when you decide to have a treat, don't take out the whole packet. Take out what you're going to eat and put the rest away. REALLY helps me.

I do this with my small amount of "treats" (I'm on a keto diet so can't eat a lot of sweets), and I actually find I enjoy them more.

ThisLittlePiggy Thu 02-Apr-20 15:01:03

I do my best to be good but just a piece of cake can make me feel yucky.

MawB Thu 02-Apr-20 17:17:56

Failing ???