Gransnet forums

Chat

I tried, I really did......

(400 Posts)
phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 15:19:11

Hello all, extra good wishes to you all.

Well, the newspaper (only once a week) needed to be collected from the village shop, so Mr P asked what else we needed. There were things that he had been unable to get from his supermarket trip, so I jotted them down, in clear, large print, giving additional verbal instructions suggestions.

(The village shop now has a "non browsing" policy, and have set up a counter in the doorway. Shoppers are encouraged to arrive with a written list, which they give to the staff member.)

His first attempt was aborted, he was shock to see the queue stretching 200 metres back down to the village square!

He came home, but said he would go back in an hour or so.

So, we had a light lunch (cheese on toast) and off he went.

I was planning to make creamed cabbage to go with the chicken hot pot for Sunday, so my list included a small green cabbage, and some cream.

I had actually said to himself "Don't get a white cabbage, it won't work, and if they don't have green cabbage, we won't need the cream, and we can just use the extra broccoli that you bought that we didn't need yesterday. He looked at me and nodded, as if to say "Roger! Willco!" and off he went.

The bit regarding "If no lettuce, get mushrooms, we will have to have steak, chips & mushrooms instead of our usual steak, salad & jp's" (Not as healthy, but needs must wink) seemed to have been taken on board.

However I'm now the less than proud owner of a very large white cabbage, and a large pot of cream confused.

I will list the white cabbage on the village FB page, there must be someone with a large family who can use it! (Can be left in a bag on our doorstep for collection) and I suppose I could make creamed broccoli!

Before anyone castigates me (big word for a Saturday) I really do appreciate the fact that Mr P does get the shopping, this post is meant to be a bit of lighthearted stuff!

Rufus2 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:37:52

I am quite new to GN so you don’t know me
curvygran Sincere apologies I'd like to, but you don't know me either! smile I wouldn't be unkind to a lady to save my life and we do have something in common ;
We have 2 sons in OZ, Melb., (one grandson) and the other in Brisbane (4 grandchildren)
My excuse is that I noticed you'd joined in with the senior girls in having a go at Grandad1943, tongue in cheek, of course, but the whole thread was not in the spirit of "being kind to other posters" '
I've only recently been "released" on a good behaviour bond, so it behoves me to watch my "Ps and Qs! grin
I get rather nervous when my name appears in a thread in case someone's coming for me! hmm
Where are you speaking from,? A Mancunian by any chance? and where are your sons enjoying life in OZ?
Good Health wine

curvygran Sun 05-Apr-20 16:28:10

Bit unkind Rufus , I am quite new to GN so you don’t know me.It was an innocent question.
My sons are in Australia so I look forward to views from the other side of the planet .

Grandad1943 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:58:43

lemongrove
???

lemongrove Sun 05-Apr-20 15:43:54

Now there’s an idea Grandad1943.......because we are running very low on chutney!??

Grandad1943 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:09:54

Rufus2, good to see you are upright and still going strong for there are so few of us males on this forum.

Indeed, I often think they will have us pickled and preserved when we go. Last of the few. ?

Stay safe out there Rufus.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:58:48

Fatgran57 I've just made that its delicious especially poured over hard boiled eggs with a touch of paprka
What's that called again it was a 60's or 70s party thing wasn't it?

lemongrove Sun 05-Apr-20 14:53:45

On holiday in Austria we had cooked lettuce as part of the meal many times.....not something I want to eat again.
Just last week I made a chilli con carne (DH likes it more than me) but anyway, I really enjoyed it, and DH had no complaints.A bit later that evening I realised that I hadn’t actually added any chillies.☺️

Rufus2 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:39:50

Has anyone seen Rufus on GN recently

Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute!
curvygran Who's asking? What's he done now? confused
Or have you realised that Grandad1943 has got the better of you all and now you're looking for an easy target on which to practice your "humour", i.e. this 92¾ year young OAP? sad
FWIW; he's been busy searching for a thread that implored us to be kind to other posters!
Also starting up a thread "Good Evening xxxDay" reporting in from "Down Under", which aims to be humorous and informative! grin Not very difficult!
Actually, I was very surprised that my name only appeared twice; I must be something right for a change! shock
Good Health.
OoRoo wine

curvygran Wed 01-Apr-20 10:43:01

Thanks fatgran57, looks interesting...I’ve got a tin of condensed milk lurking at the back of my cupboard, originally bought for a lovely lemon cheesecake recipe
On second thoughts, I think I’ll postpone the experiment for the foreseeable, I might need that tin ! .

pollyperkins Wed 01-Apr-20 04:44:11

Errors- apologies:
Was enjoying it at first.
Have skipped to the end to write this comment.

pollyperkins Wed 01-Apr-20 04:42:05

I haven’t read all the thread but was d joking it at first. Then grandad1943 made what I thought was a very valid point and from that moment (I read up to about p 5) almost everyone seemed to gang up against him, make fun of him and comments about his wife who none of us know). I thought it was appalling bullying and have W up writing to make this comment. Men have feelings too you know and even if he annoyed you with his comments please don’t start making personal remarks.

fatgran57 Wed 01-Apr-20 02:29:40

I'd forgotten about condensed milk mayonnaise -
love it but OH hates it so I don't bother making it anymore.

curvygran Tue 31-Mar-20 22:55:11

Stansgran, have you got an actual recipe? I’m interested in trying it!
Sounds like a rather weird version of Caesar salad dressing without the anchovies.

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 19:46:55

Yes, I think you’re the only person who thinks that Stan grin

Greymar Tue 31-Mar-20 19:43:06

Zut Alors! Monsieur Chen ne pas parler a lui meme.

Stansgran Tue 31-Mar-20 19:37:46

Yes plus malt vinegar and dried mustard. Evidently it's delicious

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 18:13:03

Yes, in my "dinner party days" (many, many years ago grin) I was known to do petit pois a la Francaise, but iceberg lettuce with condensed milk! shock Sacre bleu!

Stansgran Tue 31-Mar-20 17:55:01

Am I the only person who thinks that Grandad1943 and SirChenjin are in fact husband and wife?
I wish they would launch their own thread and bicker away happily so we can hide it.
And furthermore petite poisa la franchise as my iPad would have it petits pois a la francaise works however bizarre it sounds. On the other hand talking of iceberg lettuce has anyone tried iceberg lettuce with condensed milk dressing - a kiwi. Recipe.

Greymar Tue 31-Mar-20 16:58:29

I'll thank you not to use the word Knob.

Greymar Tue 31-Mar-20 16:57:58

I was thinking about the poor kitties, perhaps they had consumed fur balls.

GrannyLaine Tue 31-Mar-20 12:49:06

Greymar, I think I need a little more to go on there.......
Fur balls?

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 12:16:51

Lordy - and here’s me thinking we’re talking about cats who have sadly passed shockgrin

May7 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:03:34

Are you swearing Greymar if so Fur balls to you too with knobs on ?

Greymar Tue 31-Mar-20 06:11:49

Fur balls

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 22:49:04

Thank you SirChenjin - its okay, I have quite a black sense of humour and my daughter actually found it funny when I told her (much) later.

I do hope the cat you are referring to finally got a dignified burial!