Gransnet forums

Chat

Good things about lockdown

(89 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:19:49

Parents who, for economic reasons are both forced to work full time, can now enjoy the company of their children and get to know them. I used to LOVE school holidays with my boys.

All those little DIY jobs and household tasks you promised to do but didn't have time or energy, will now be accomplished.

Time to "stop and stare" and value what and who is around you.

Catch up on sleep when no tyrant alarm is shocking you awake at some ungodly hour. What bliss.

Have a better understanding of what it's like for people whose lives are, 'shut in' all the time.

Time for crafts, cooking, games and leisure pursuits.

Time to make up silly jokes about the future.

"Dad, why did you call my brother Paris?"
"Because he was conceived in Paris."
'Thanks Dad, good night."
'Night, Corona."

Care to add your own good thing?

BradfordLass73 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:41:19

Here's a helpful site which will show you what a cup, teaspoon, tablespoon etc weigh

www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

And more if you look at the right side bar and its drop-down menu

BradfordLass73 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:36:28

I can eat as much garlic and raw onion as I like because I'm not breathing on anyone! grin

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:23:21

Knowing I can start on a project or two, stop and start again - with no danger of anyone visiting to interrupt, no need to tidy up either - before it's all finished!

grannybuy Wed 01-Apr-20 00:17:36

CardiffJaguar. So sorry to read of your loss. I can understand how being able to close yourselves off will give you space to reflect and grieve. Thinking of you.

Gemini17892 Tue 31-Mar-20 22:35:54

I’m with you Gm70.

Grandma70s Tue 31-Mar-20 22:19:41

I’ve never lived anywhere noisy, so I don’t notice any difference, but my son who lives in central London is really enjoying the lack of traffic and planes.

I love knowing I can only be interrupted by the phone. No dropping in, so I don’t have to worry what I or the house look like. Luckily I have enough pride to get dressed every day and keep clean.

Chewbacca Tue 31-Mar-20 22:09:59

Because there's so much less traffic going past, I was able to sit in my garden today and actually hear bees buzzing in the hedge. The sky was so clear, with no vapour trails from passing aircraft, and I watched 2 rooks chasing off a kestrel who was hovering near their nest. I wouldn't normally have had the time or solitude, to sit and watch that.

bluejay29 Tue 31-Mar-20 22:01:37

Silent Nights, can leave my small bedroom window open and no traffic noise in the early morning, just the birds ... Bliss !!

Want2Help Tue 31-Mar-20 21:53:51

I'm with Gingster I haven't felt SO chilled in a very long time!! Plus I don't need to worry about my loved ones as I know exactly where they all are!! sunshine

Judy43 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:44:40

I was going to do baking but I don't have scales. Anyone here can remind me of cup spoon equivalent to weight measures? Used to know them. Reading instead.

Lorelei Tue 31-Mar-20 21:38:06

@CardiffJaguar - makes other things seem petty and unimportant when there you are finding solace in the enforced isolation to grieve for your beloved son, Robert. I doubt anything I or anyone else can say will be of much comfort but good you have each other for support and to share your pain with. I doubt anyone who read your post will not spare a few thoughts for you during their own isolation now. Sorry seems like an inadequate word in these circumstances. Take care of each other and stay safe flowers for you and flowers for Robert

@Anniebach , @Joplin , and anyone else finding it difficult to cope with the isolation, lack of help or any other enforced inconveniences, I hope somewhere out there will be a solution, at least to the things you need if not everything else that would make life a little easier or more comfortable.

I hope that Gransnet will remain a supportive forum during these uncertain and troubling times - so much in the news, online, on social media etc with people turning on each other, blaming each other, wishing bad on others, or boasting how well-prepared, well-off etc they are knowing many more have none of life's luxuries, are struggling one way or another. If people can't say something, nice, something encouraging, supportive, constructive, offer help etc then now is probably not a good time to be mean or critical (though I do understand that the behaviour of a few will anger the many) - people will never be perfect but it would be nice if, for the most part, they could try to be nice where possible.

Albangirl14 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:52:21

So sorry to hear of your loss CardiffJaguar am glad that you have found some solace in having time together to mourn .
A friend lost her son recently and thinking about her has made me grateful for what I have and not complain about minor things.

bluebirdwsm Tue 31-Mar-20 19:33:28

Anniebach… I heard what you said and can only imagine the frustration of your situation, you sound very isolated. Is there any way someone can help you? Anyone locally who is a volunteer? Could you contact your local council office to see if anything is available to help?

I have trouble starting in my hands/wrists so I understand how difficult [and annoying] it makes every day life. Take care.

GoldenAge Tue 31-Mar-20 19:32:15

The sky is clear - no planes flying over every 4 mins to make their way to Heathrow - no noise - less pollution (must be) - no problems parking my car outside my own front gate because people are driving some distance to visit the interesting shops nearby as they're all shut. Time to recuperate and recharge. But, very sorry for those living in flats with no gardens.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 31-Mar-20 19:12:05

Sam was 18 X

Brigidsdaughter Tue 31-Mar-20 19:10:47

CardiffJaguar It sounds as though Robert died suddenly. That is so traumatic. Our eldest son, of two, had PMLD plus complex health issues. He lived with us and life worked around him. He went to respite one Thursday night after school, doc checked him in as per usual. He died in his sleep shortly before getting up time. SUDEP. There was a massive space in our house and lives from then on, very intense. All the usual markers in our days gone, up early bath prep for school bus, home ready for arrival back, meals, etc it was shortly before Christmas, formalities sorted just in time, funeral in early Jan. Christmas was no fun but an amazing shut down for us to 'just be' and rest. Our families are in Ireland so we quietly cocooned.
Look after yourselves. Try and eat well.
It's an unreal time and I'm so sorry ???

M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 19:09:00

This is why I wear a mask when shopping.

Jellaway Tue 31-Mar-20 18:15:21

We musn’t be complacent about thinking that the virus is not airborne. This was quoted and it is quite a long time :- ‘Their study, which has been published in the New England Journal of Medicine, shows that the virus could survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air ‘.
I love that the sun shines, the bulbs are still in flower, we have a gorgeous river to walk past and the sky is always changing over it, and we see lots of birds and animals on the way.

Eloethan Tue 31-Mar-20 17:02:06

Reduced pollution, less traffic noise, giving the natural world a well deserved break (eg cleaner canals, more visible wild life, etc)
A slower pace of life and shopping only for what is necessary

I will be very glad when this is all over though. But it would be nice if the good things about this horrible situation could be retained - people spending less time and money buying stuff they don't really need, using their cars less (though I suppose that's a vain hope) and being able to entertain themselves and their children in more creative - and less expensive - ways.

Daisyboots Tue 31-Mar-20 16:16:43

CardiffJaguar I am so sorry to see the sad news about your son . My condolences to and your husband. It's good to see that you are seeing a positive about the isolation.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 31-Mar-20 16:12:10

CardiffJ, they are tablets that are used for depression but have found to work on back pain. I have never been depressed but I definitely feel more laid back. I will find out the street value first before I chuck you any. And yes I agree with you, at first we will be healthier but as time kicks in old habits will come back.

polnan Tue 31-Mar-20 15:50:54

CardiffJaguar

lots of hugs...

Barneyoldbat... I don`t think it will change that much,, too money orientated.... yes, at first, but the business`s will just pick up and start again. human nature I fear is like that.

and Barney,, chuck us a tablet or two or three please???? please!

Joplin Tue 31-Mar-20 15:38:12

Anniebach - ditto.x

Barmeyoldbat Tue 31-Mar-20 15:35:28

I think when this is all over we will have a healthier nation. No fast food, more people taking exercise and mum and dad being with their children and making memories. Yes it is hard at times but I feel quiet happy. Probably the tablets I am taking!!!

blueberry1 Tue 31-Mar-20 15:32:21

Sorry,lovely person.