Gransnet forums

Chat

Good things about lockdown

(88 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:19:49

Parents who, for economic reasons are both forced to work full time, can now enjoy the company of their children and get to know them. I used to LOVE school holidays with my boys.

All those little DIY jobs and household tasks you promised to do but didn't have time or energy, will now be accomplished.

Time to "stop and stare" and value what and who is around you.

Catch up on sleep when no tyrant alarm is shocking you awake at some ungodly hour. What bliss.

Have a better understanding of what it's like for people whose lives are, 'shut in' all the time.

Time for crafts, cooking, games and leisure pursuits.

Time to make up silly jokes about the future.

"Dad, why did you call my brother Paris?"
"Because he was conceived in Paris."
'Thanks Dad, good night."
'Night, Corona."

Care to add your own good thing?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:39:03

I’m relishing it at the moment, but I think one of the reasons is that my sister and I over the past 18 months have been caring for our dear bed bound totally incontinent mum. She died in her own bed with us at her side, just after Christmas.

Now I can relax with absolutely no call on me whatsoever. I am so enjoying it.

Gingster Sat 28-Mar-20 20:56:27

I’m enjoying my lockdown. No pressure to accept invitations ,no one popping in, no duties for family. So relaxing and doing exactly as we please. No bras, pj ‘s on at teatime. No makeup. Reading, jigsaws, gardening ., baking bread, thinking up new recipes.
, The days pass pleasantly.

overthehill Sat 28-Mar-20 22:54:27

As I mentioned in another post being able to chat to my daughter who is normally pressed for time.

arosebyanyothername Sat 28-Mar-20 23:26:37

Taking my time over things, catching up with jobs I've been putting off but only if I want to wink

M0nica Sun 29-Mar-20 18:25:16

Life hasn't changed much.most of my regular activities have moved online - even my exercise class.

The only minor problem, everybody is phoning averyone to have a chat and my day is as disrupted as it always was. 3 phone calls today, all quite long.

Washerwoman Sun 29-Mar-20 20:05:42

I feel guilty knowing how stressful it is for some but I've actually had a lovely week.The beautiful weather has helped but for the first time since I retired last year I actually feel retired.Just DH and I pottering about.Got loads done in the garden.Lovely walk each day with our dogs.But I miss hugs from DGC who I normally see most days and childmind a fair bit.But once DD is cleared to work after a health problem I will probably hit the ground running again,and my frail old mum is deteriorating. So I'm relishing some me time and counting our blessingsvas we're so much more fortunate than so many.

MerylStreep Sun 29-Mar-20 20:16:54

I'm the same as MOnica, spending a lot of time on the phone.
I'll be honest and say I get a bit peeved at times as I've told people I'm decorating ( paintwork)
Other than that I'm quite enjoying it. No thinking 'oh I have to get this done because I've got to do that/go there tomorrow'

overthehill Mon 30-Mar-20 19:17:32

Can't believe you are slightly irritated to get phone calls. In a new world where people seem to communicate via text and whatsapp rather than actually pick up the phone and speak, to me it is a refreshing change to hear a human voice. Also what's so important considering the time at home we have ahead if us, that can't be left for a while.

Calendargirl Mon 30-Mar-20 19:23:00

WWM2

I can imagine what a relief it must be for you not having to worry about your mum.

I feel glad that I have no parents or parents-in-law left to get through this crisis.

Witzend Mon 30-Mar-20 19:55:17

Me too, Calendargirl.
For so many years we were running around after frail or demented elderly parents/relatives, none of whom lived close by. Thank goodness we don’t have to be worried about being able to do that now.

Happysexagenarian Mon 30-Mar-20 23:19:57

Our kids, friends and neighbours call or text frequently to check we're still OK. Rarely happened before CV.

I can now immerse myself in a sewing or craft project and not have to hurredly pack it away when the GC decide to call round unannounced.

The lack of noisy motorbikes roaring past our house at weekends heading for the long coast road. The absence of buses and cars makes me think this is what the village must have been like 50 years ago. It's very nice.

The many ways that people are genuinely showing their appreciation for the NHS and pulling together to help them. It's a pity they can't always do it and it had to take something like this to make us value what they do.

Summerlove Mon 30-Mar-20 23:32:59

Parents who, for economic reasons are both forced to work full time, can now enjoy the company of their children and get to know them. I used to LOVE school holidays with my boys.

Most of these parents are busier than ever. They are working longer hours and trying to home school at the same time.

This is in no way relaxing for them.

The ones who aren’t working from home have now lost their jobs and are stressed out about how to pay for things.

There are few positives for them either.

Summerlove Mon 30-Mar-20 23:34:20

Also, how strange to think working parents don’t know their children!

Chestnut Mon 30-Mar-20 23:47:18

Self isolation means you don't catch ANY colds or viruses, not just the corona virus.

HAZBEEN Tue 31-Mar-20 09:39:40

Its been wonderful to be able to sleep at night without the constant traffic just 10 yards from our bedroom window. We are on a busy road near the M25. Also the pub across the road is closed so no shouting screaming and singing from the beer garden (even in winter) long into the night as well as the constant comings and goings of taxis and the police to break up fights. Heaven help us when lockdown ends they will all want to celebrate!

trisher Tue 31-Mar-20 10:00:52

No noise from the school across the road.
Wearing my scruffiest clothes out.
Saving money (no coffees or lunches, no classes. I'm doing my best on-line shopping but not spending as much)

Nonnie Tue 31-Mar-20 10:43:43

Seeing all think kindness in our local area and experiencing it from our lovely neighbours.

Hearing from my family several times a day.

Enjoying my son enjoying being a Dad and loving the extra time he is spending with his children.

Hearing what DS & Dil are doing to keep busy and fit and doing extra work from home. DS has volunteered for the NHS too.

Giving the garden more attention that it usually gets.

Baking and leaving it out for family.

Learning a new skill - procrastination, getting good at it.

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:55:29

I am just so grateful this virus isn't airborne and we all literally had to stay in our homes with the windows shut. At least we can enjoy our gardens and really appreciate the spring flowers and are allowed out for a walk/run/bike ride.

No football on (yipee) and the bypass at the end of my garden is so much quieter.

crazygranny Tue 31-Mar-20 11:05:16

No more fast food litter, previously regularly thrown out of the windows of passing cars!

Maremia Tue 31-Mar-20 11:06:42

Just glad we are all well enough. Glad also for the internet and media available to us for keeping in touch. Worry about the wee local businesses who might go under. Will try to shop there as much as possible when this is over.

sandelf Tue 31-Mar-20 11:27:01

How lovely. I have been feeling oddly guilty as ALL the talk is of how horrible it is and how we must be missing 'whatever'. I'm a really happy on my own doing quiet hobbies sort of person - so this is bliss. Less traffic (live on a main road), can hear the birds in the garden. Time to finish what I start without rushing. No pressure to be sociable. So long as I do not hit serious problems with supplies, life is good. We've been out of the working world for long enough to know that you keep a routine, wash, dress, eat properly - or you don't enjoy life so that is not a problem for us. I think 'they' media folk have no idea how the peasants live smile.

CardiffJaguar Tue 31-Mar-20 11:30:34

Our son died on 10th March just as we were going into self isolation. We have therefore had time together to grieve and support each other. We were devastated and were helped by not having to answer the door. As the days pass we feel that the isolation has been a good time for us.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 31-Mar-20 11:31:54

Blue sky is now actually blue. Not criss crossed with white stripes from planes. Wall to wall blue. Lovely.

Quieter roads, enabling safer crossing, including the dual carriageway and main roads nearby, that don't have a pelican crossing.

No interruptions from unwanted cold callers.

People being a lot nicer to each other.

The politest queues in the world at the moment, instead of the usual rugby scrum.

Although l have been laid off from my job, l am being retained on full pay then furlough pay, so having an extended "holiday" and being paid for it is rather novel.

Ultimately, l am so very very grateful that l live alone.
If l run out of painting and decorating, l have more books than you can shake a stick at.

As other correspondents have said, peace perfect peace: l am actually very chipper!

Macgran43 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:34:37

It’s OK so far but don’t like to look ahead. I’m still not dressed at 11.30 am but Son is delivering leeks soon for a leek and ham pie recipe. Lovely spring morning which does raise the spirit.We are rewatching The Crown series 1 on Netflix. Treat for evening. Thank goodness for the internet and the phone.GC are doing clever things with their phones and I pads etc .Isolation harder for that generation I think.